TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Mitas E12 tyre?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:29 am 
80 cc

Has anyone tried the Mitas E12 on a big bike who can share their experience? I'm currently using a Pirelli scorpion rally which has worked well for me back home in Canada but it needs replacing and the terrain here can be quite different than there...

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Mitas E12 tyre?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:37 am 
80 cc

Decided not to wait, ordered and received and hoping to spoon it on later today. I'll post my thoughts after a few rides.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:26 am 
650 cc Monster

I had already committed to a replacement MT21 for my 690 and, just after it was delivered, there was a post on ABR about the E12.
They look interesting as they seem to have plenty of rubber for road work but big enough gaps for slimy riding.
Apparently some guys in Surrey (thanks Stewie) are using them to good effect on 690's. Not sure how that translates to big adventure bikes though.

I know it's too late now, but the guy at Trellesport (the importer) is great for a advice and info.

We get a load of wet mud in winter Sussex but I need to balance it against the high percentage of road work I do and some of the pukka dual sport tyres look too road oriented to my naive viewpoint so the E12 looks promising

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:56 pm 
650 cc Monster

Just ordered a set from Trellesport - will let you know how they are on the 690.

I have used the E09's on the 690. The rear is very hard wearing and suitable for a 3K miles summer trailriding trip with a lot of motorway mileage whilst loaded with luggage. It's ok in the wet on soft green roads, provided it's run at low pressures. The front E09 is ok for gravel tracks and tarmac.

The E07 rear will get you along most trails on a 690, provided it is run on very low pressures.

The C-17 Dakar works well as a trailriding tyre paired with the E09. They both wear very well and you could lose some durability to gain some grip - this is what I expect the E12/E13 combo to be like.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:29 pm 
650 cc Monster

Thanks John.
I don't mind trading a bit of durability on the road at all for wet slurry grip.
I did look at getting a spare set of wheels to have summer and winter options but too pricey to justify at the moment unless something crops up on the used market.
Belting along on the road on knobblies is fun anyway but I have just put them up from 15 to 20 psi, which may make them more stable.

I dropped them that low originally as I thought they were too hard at 26 but it was the 28mm instead of 80mm sag set by the previous owner that was the real problem.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:46 pm 

DS, have you riden in the mud on the MT21s? Just asking as I found them great, till the found mud!!

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:19 pm 
650 cc Monster

A little bit of mud last winter David and they were good enough but I was still suffering sag-gate so the back end was hopping all over the place. The roots on the Coach Road were horrendous. It was only early May before I got it sorted.
It will get more of a go this winter now it's set up properly.
I am basing it purely on the knobble to gap ratio compared to my old Mitas Xtremes, which were, to be fair, fantastic in mud but appalling on the road and would probably spit me off the 690.
The E12's look pretty good but we have to remember I am a seriously inept rider so need all the help I can get. :oops: :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:00 pm 
650 cc Monster

I've done most of my trail riding on the MT21, and its predecessor the MT17.

That included the winter mud of Cambridgeshire...the stuff that London Brick is made from (Lower Oxford Clay, if you are a geologist).

They cope, just, but I used to run at low single-figure psi. 3rd gear on the DR350S: fingers on the clutch, balls on the filler-cap and hope you could get out of the mud before the gap between the front wheel and the mudguard filled up.

Old Sulehay Lane...loved it, hated it...rode it just about every weekend for three or four years as part of a big loop around Rockingham Forest and then back to Peterborough

I had a front pipe on the DR that looked like it was made of brick...the clay baked on and never came off!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:09 pm 
650 cc Monster

Written with passion Richard!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:15 pm 
650 cc Monster

...then I got married!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next