TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: The TRF Forum
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:38 am 
650 cc Monster

This would seem to be outside my remit hence I have no director opinion

As an ordinary member I would;

Go to an national conference or AGM
Go to a local meeting and ask a group rep to take it up
Send an email to directors@
Call the individual director or even any director to discuss
Finally if still not happy - stand as a director.

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:52 am 
650 cc Monster

But that is one person pursuing an issue with no-one else knowing what is going on.
How can the general views of the wider membership be gleaned?

The TRF has to be inclusive for all members from Lands End, Dover, Aberdeen and Conway and all points beyond and between and that can't be done by having a meeting somewhere.
We need to be able to find out if others have a similar opinion or ask advice before raising pursuing an issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:09 pm 
650 cc Monster

davidscott wrote:
But that is one person pursuing an issue with no-one else knowing what is going on.
How can the general views of the wider membership be gleaned?

The TRF has to be inclusive for all members from Lands End, Dover, Aberdeen and Conway and all points beyond and between and that can't be done by having a meeting somewhere.
We need to be able to find out if others have a similar opinion or ask advice before raising pursuing an issue.

Just to respond to your one person pursuing and issue comment - David-

Currently we have;
Group meetings
Group Reps
The forum
Facebook
Directors email
National Conferences
finally AGM's

I appreciate From previous posts you have mentioned you are not able to attend group events.

Currently the National conferences and AGM's have been well attended and in my experience is where the real work is currently done.

Remember the very well attended Meet the Directors of last year?

I understand your point, for your particular needs, and that is something you would do well to discuss with Mike and perhaps Gill .

Meanwhile are we really considering a TRF where out of preference, work is done by electronic means rather than going out and talking to people in person?

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:27 pm 
650 cc Monster

I understand that Mario but that still means anyone, good or bad, can take part in a debate, whether at a meeting, by email etc etc so being on the forum isn't necessarily the worst thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:35 pm 
650 cc Monster

The age old saying of Divide and Conquer comes to mind.
If we the membership can't discuss contentious issues they we can't get a feeling for whether or not they are important to others from different regions, so they don't get pursued.
Going to one meeting a year with about 50 members from a membership of 3000+ present does not enable such matters to be discussed in a very wide environment.
Provided a post:
a) does not contain foul language
b) is not abusive
c) is not defamatory
d) does not relate to a pending legal case
Then I can't see any reason why it should be moderated.

If there is a desire to restrict access then perhaps the easiest solution is for a higher level of access to be granted only through a group chairman's request, in that way anybody being given access would be know to the local group.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:42 pm 
650 cc Monster

+1...apart from the foul language ...of course...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:50 pm 
200 cc

The directors are discussing the forum tomorrow. If there is not a firm process and deadline agreed tommorow, maybe they can add the Forum development to the agenda.

I have prior arrangements for that day so cant attend.

There seems to be too much procrastination. We have seen the Forum slowly die from lack of interest in the last few years. Less posts = less interest = less users = the question "Should we spend money improving a Forum when there are so few users".
How do we restrict access to Forum users who may not have the best interests of the TRF at heart?
How do we make it easier to access the Forum?
How do we get the Forum to resize images etc,etc,etc.

Playing Devils Advocate, unfortunately, by allowing the forum to die it answers all these questions

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:00 pm 
650 cc Monster

Much of the moderation required, not that a great deal is required, relates to pending, actual, or consolidation of litigation.

Because TRF is engaged in an unprecedented amount of legal work, the need for moderation has increased.

In the past we were all talk and little action. Now we are more action which neccessitates less talk.

It is not the membership v the Directors as Peter insinuates. The members want success just as much as the Directors do. The members at the sharp end of RoR work do not want their efforts compromised by social media.

There is a constructive avenue available to progress on matters considered contentious. That is to put forward concerns and an actionable proposal to the directors, who can then consider this on its merits. This can then be progressed with membership wide consultation - a recent feature of TRF.

Rather than "Divide and Conquer", membership wide consultation and one member one vote has delivered "Include and Conquer" - of disproportionate influence and power. TRF is much more equal and democratic with the result that the few cannot stand on the throat of the majority.

That is the reason that the majority supported the directors at the last AGM - because they had enough of being held to ransom by the minority.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:21 pm 
650 cc Monster

If Social media is such a problem, just use it for drawing members in and then use the forum, which I do not see as social media but an essential part of TRF membership, or email as the primary contact tools.

We are all talking from the same hymn sheet but we do need to talk amongst ourselves and the only realistic method is the forum.

Let's go back to my original post - what is the plan for the forum?
I had no way of finding out if other members felt the same as me without putting up a post. Asking a director just makes me a single entity asking a question - does that mean every operational topic raised is done through an email to the directors. I'm sure you would love that!

We also need to address the public to members section. We still have non members being involved day after day in forum topics so why can't they put their hand in their pocket and join? Just have The Bar as a feeder page in the public domain and encourage all members to keep to the members section of the forum in future.

We're not trying to undermine the system but drag the forum into the 21st century and make it a better and easier place to use.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:40 pm 
650 cc Monster

davidscott wrote:
If Social media is such a problem, just use it for drawing members in and then use the forum, which I do not see as social media but an essential part of TRF membership, or email as the primary contact tools.

We are all talking from the same hymn sheet but we do need to talk amongst ourselves and the only realistic method is the forum.

Let's go back to my original post - what is the plan for the forum?
I had no way of finding out if other members felt the same as me without putting up a post. Asking a director just makes me a single entity asking a question - does that mean every operational topic raised is done through an email to the directors. I'm sure you would love that!

We also need to address the public to members section. We still have non members being involved day after day in forum topics so why can't they put their hand in their pocket and join? Just have The Bar as a feeder page in the public domain and encourage all members to keep to the members section of the forum in future.

We're not trying to undermine the system but drag the forum into the 21st century and make it a better and easier place to use.

The forum is social media and has the potential to provide slightly improved benefit for the very small proportion of members that like forums. Not all members that like forums will prefer a national forum over a local one. There are no plans to deprive members of the benefits of local forums.

Agreed that the members to public forum issue needs to be addresed. My position is that this needs to be addressed by getting rid of the members only section.

It is of course open to you to submit concerns via your local group, who can then consider whether they wish to progress the matter to the board with group support.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next