TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Should we clear fallen obstacles/debris blocking byways?
Poll ended at Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:09 pm
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0
 Post subject: Re: Clearing of obstructions on Byways
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:22 am 

If your name is brown you are registered as a full member, if so you can go to the members board and see which boards are available to post in, just mainly group boards but you can see.

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:17 pm 
125cc

jmc wrote:
My understanding is that you can clear any obstruction or overhanging branch etc. with tools you might be seen as reasonably carrying on your person or bike. So a small folding saw or wire cutter. Returning with a chain saw would perhaps be a bit OTT unless of coarse you are in a 4x4 and are trained to you one ;)

Or a quad which has a winch. 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:45 pm 
125cc

Remould wrote:
Hello all, for some reason I'm not able to post in the members section yet, so I'll use this one for now.

Where do we stand when it come to moving obstructions that we come across when riding?
I ask this as I came across a tree that had fallen in high winds and blocked most of the byway, forcing people and horses to walk around the obstruction on the verge.

Not thinking, I went back the next day armed with a small saw and cleared the obstruction, cutting the tree into manageable pieces and piled it up where it was once was standing.
It was only after that did I start thinking that I maybe should have left it for the landowner or council to remove.

Is it legal/safe to trim overhanging plants or remove fallen trees and branches from these public byways, or should I notify somebody first?
Comments welcome.

Many thanks,
Steve.

Steve,
Sounds like the TRF needs to snap you up for voluntary lane clearing duties simply coz you just done the giant step of clearing an obstruction
Something that many user groups are reluctant to do....

Very well done, find out how your local authority operate on these matters, offer to help, step by step you'll be able to accomplish many things regarding public routes.
Ian
Devon TRF

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:38 am 
300 cc

wackyracer wrote:

Steve,
Sounds like the TRF needs to snap you up for voluntary lane clearing duties simply coz you just done the giant step of clearing an obstruction

Very well done, find out how your local authority operate on these matters, offer to help, step by step you'll be able to accomplish many things regarding public routes.
Ian
Devon TRF

Hmmm Agree with above, Herefordshire need to engage more with volunteers but previous experience in BBNP volunteering only to find route TRO'd some months later makes me a little cynical...
Usual rule is if it is hand tools, probably ok but forget anything with an engine 'cos you are not trained or badged to use it in a public place....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:44 am 
50 cc

Thanks for the comments chaps. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:50 pm 
125cc

DS650 wrote:
wackyracer wrote:

Steve,

Ian
Devon TRF

Hmmm Agree with above, Herefordshire need to engage more with volunteers but previous experience in BBNP volunteering only to find route TRO'd some months later makes me a little cynical...
Usual rule is if it is hand tools, probably ok but forget anything with an engine 'cos you are not trained or badged to use it in a public place....

Oh crikey not good at all being TRO'd
I turn things on its head and work on the TRO'd lanes :lol:
You never know ;)

Perhaps you should look at getting trained to operate a petrol lane bashing machine ;) :D
My boss paid for one course and Devon CC paid for my other course now i'm a legal nutter!! :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:11 pm 
200 cc

wackyracer wrote:
DS650 wrote:
wackyracer wrote:

Steve,

Ian
Devon TRF

Usual rule is if it is hand tools, probably ok but forget anything with an engine 'cos you are not trained or badged to use it in a public place....[/q

Oh crikey not good at all being TRO'd
I turn things on its head and work on the TRO'd lanes :lol:
You never know ;)

Perhaps you should look at getting trained to operate a petrol lane bashing machine ;) :D
My boss paid for one course and Devon CC paid for my other course now i'm a legal nutter!! :roll:

Let us not confuse being trained and being insured. I am trained and licenced to use a chainsaw. I am not insured to use one in a public place. Huge difference.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:11 pm 
80 cc

If a TRF member has a recognised chainsaw certificate and wishes to use a chainsaw for lane clearance work, if they contact me I will endeavour to get additional cover from our current insurers

Chris

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2