TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Adverts must be trail or motorcycle orientated. Businesses may advertise but are required to make a donation to the fighting fund please.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: KTM 990 Adventure - SOLD
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:29 pm 
80 cc

2006 KTM 990 Adventure for sale, cosmetically tired from trail use, but mechanically sound.

20k miles
Recently rebuilt rear-shock absorber
G-IT Sump Guard (for off-road use)
Engine bars
Radiator guard / grill
Sat Nav mount
Akro exhausts
Heated grips

£3750

KTM 990 Adventure | KTM 690 Enduro R
Isle of Man France Spain Morocco Switzerland Ireland Italy Belgium Germany
Czech Republic Poland Slovakia Hungary Austria Lichtenstein Luxembourg

Last edited by Gordo on Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: KTM 990 Adventure
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:38 pm 
125cc

Keep it and enter the taffy Dakar on it .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:24 pm 
650 cc Monster

I'd agree with the above...if you possibly can, keep it.

Last spring I borrowed a demo of the replacement...the 1190 Adv and rode it back-to-back with my own 950 on roads varying from motorways to muddy tarmac lanes with a green stripe down the middle.

Guess what...the 1190 has a superb engine and gearbox, but as a big trail bike it's way behind the 950/990. Event the handy tank-top compartment has gone on the new bike (I note BMW have put one on their new 1200 Adventure).

I'm sure there are lots of people who love their 1190s...and for good reason..but I think the original customer base for the 950/990 will not be won over by the new bike (I wan't) and will either hang on to what they've got or seek out newer examples.

The 1190 is probably top of the heap against its competitors (all the other so-called 'adventure' bikes), but it's been moved away from the original to the extent that it's not really a replacement for it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:01 pm 
80 cc

Yes, I know about the 1190, and did my own test ride report on it too: http://ktmgordo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/ ... -ride.html

I have (and am keeping) a 990 Adventure: the one for sale currently belongs to a friend who's returning to Australia and can't take it with him. (I did suggest he could ride it there...)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:48 pm 
125cc

Gordo wrote:
Yes, I know about the 1190, and did my own test ride report on it too: http://ktmgordo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/ ... -ride.html

I have (and am keeping) a 990 Adventure: the one for sale currently belongs to a friend who's returning to Australia and can't take it with him. (I did suggest he could ride it there...)

Nice one GOrdo, now sign up for the Taffy Dakar, see if you can get Gav, Shep and Rob to go as a team

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:38 am 
80 cc

Hi Gordo, I have read your blog on the new KTM with interest. I will be in the market for a new bike in the next couple of years. I wrote my Multistrada off in 2012 and bought an Africa Twin as a stop gap, I have enjoyed it so much that I have kept it longer than I thought I would. My only problem with it is that it gets a bit wheezy on some overtakes when I am out with the touring club guys. The 1190 is high on my list of bikes, the Multistrada is a great bike but the build quality on the plastics and other bits is iffy, I didn't have it long enough for any mechanical problems. My wife and I are currently on a gap 2-3 years touring around Europe in our Motorhome, trailering 2 old 200cc Hondas.
There is supposed to be another AT being made by Honda this year, so I will await its arrival, however if it is as heavy as the Varadero or Africa Twin then it will be a non starter. I am not adverse to having an older bike and don't have the must have new wave bikes gene, I only bought the MS because of its light weight, as I am getting on a bit. Anyway thanks again for sharing your thoughts. Regards Ron

Post subject: Re: KTM 990 Adventure - SOLD
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:39 pm 
80 cc

The trouble with these sorts of bike is that most people who buy them will only be riding on surfaced roads, and increasingly it's ex-sportbike riders buying them who like lots of numbers for pub bragging rights.

For off road or unsurfaced road use, we know it's torque that matters and not outright power or engine capacity - which is why I'm a little puzzled over the KTM 1190 Adventure as it's got too much power to be useful (although you can turn it down by using off-road mode).

It was the original Africa Twin that first attracted me to the type, and at the moment there are few serious contenders as most of the trail-style bikes aren't really suitable for the rough stuff owing to fragile plastics, road-sized wheels and tyres etc.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]