TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: drz400 oil leak
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:50 pm 
80 cc

Hi as it's the s model, it does have this environment pipe.mike seems to think at some stage it has been over filled with oil and may have a damaged exhaust valve seal.however I do not hate any blue smoke on start up.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:00 pm 
125cc

Hi Tony. Ref overfilled with oil .What may have happened is the previous owner(S) may have overfilled it at some point and this can cause excessive crankcase pressure and blow oil pass the rings up into the combustion chamber which could be causing the oil deposits around the exhaust pipe where it enters the head.Give it a few runs out and keep a eye on that oil level :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:04 pm 
650 cc Monster

I think there's an oil level screw on the side of the engine for this eventuality.

Set the bike upright and undo with a drip tray underneath.

You will need the bike to be cold for this, with the oil in the sump and not the tank.

It's very easy to overfill a dry sump engine like the DR/DR-Z, and don't think that professional mechanics don't do it from time to time.

With a dry sump you gain little or nothing from filling up to the top mark on the dipstick unless you are going a long distance in hot weather. Anywhere between the two marks will do for normal use.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:13 pm 
125cc

Richard. That screw is for when the bike has been laid up for a while and they say you should undo it to allow oil to trickle out to sort of bleed it.On my DRZ when I had it I never had to do this :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:14 pm 
125cc

Plus as you say between the marks (min / max) is good.Thats how I set my level

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:20 pm 
50 cc

Hi,
This is called the PAIR valve, it releases air into the exhaust to help with emissions , search pair valve removal drz on Google , someone sells the blanking plate kit on eBay for it. You don't need to , it's purely for em missions and getting rid of it will stop the exhaust popping so much on deceleration.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:26 pm 
80 cc

Just for future reference adding to the prev. post, anyone else looking at this. The pipe is part of the clean air system, and is known as the 'PAIR valve', it can be removed safely and a blanking plate put over the hole, the hose into the carb simply needs plugging up with silicon or a knot tying in it then cutting. If you search ebay you can buy pre-cut PAIR valve blanking plates, if you are really cheap just fold the metal pipe itself and cut it off, making sure it's sealed completely.

The PAIR valve itself that bolted to the frame can be thrown away along with the pipe that runs to the headstock.

If you are seeing the leak as the OP did, you can just make a new gasket from a bit of card or silicone gasket, the leak is actually likely unburnt fuel/carbon.

My PAIR valve was clogged with crap from the previous owner running with a blown head gasket and needed removing as it did nothing except throw back crap to burn and create more smoke (once head was sorted)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2