TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: clothing questions
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:26 am 
80 cc

hi

being a total virgin to laneing i have asked a few questions already on here and have now joined the trf.
Have now passed my theory test but the weather has delayed taking my direct access training and test :cry:
Have just bought myself a 96 electric start xr250 , i know they are softer than the full enduro xr250's but thought for a complete beginner it would be ideal as no doubt i will spend more time picking it up than riding it in the 1st few months and i can progress to another bike as i get more experienced and being only £750 with a years ticket and not to abused i thought it was a bargin.
so now i find myself looking at riding gear - have so far bought myself a pair of Hein Gericke mx boots after reading good reports about them.
i am also going to buy a pair of army gortex over trousers and a good pair of mx winter riding gloves, knee protectors and a body armour.

so i now need to find a good enduro jacket and was also wondering what riding trousers wear underneath they water proof ones.

so what are people suggestions on the jacket and trousers and is there any thing else i should look at buying clothes wise - water proof over jacket maybe ?

many thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: clothing questions
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:38 am 
125cc

Buffalo jacket will do you well mate, As for trousers, Anything light weighgt! Being a member of the RAF I know from experience that the trousers get pretty warm after a short time

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:09 pm 
400 cc

These RJ5 Alpinestar waterproof jackets are great and cheap.
The jacket is very light weight and can be rolled up and put into your rucksack.

Layers is the key as you will get very hot and can take layers off.
I wear a wicking base layer(Long Sleve top and trousers) then body armour/pressure suite.
Fox race jersey over that and then the RJ5.

This combo works really well in Winter but you can also take the jacket out through summer in your backpack for those very british summer showers.

;)

The FOX All Weather Jacket and Trousers look good too 8-)

www.ManchesterTRF.com
www.FozardProperties.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:45 pm 
300 cc

RJ5 Alpinestar Jacket A.K.A. "Boil in The Bag jacket" but handy and cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:35 pm 
300 cc

You don't necessarily need an enduro jacket (after all you don't need an enduro bike). Just visit the sales and buy the best you can. You might decide you need one with more pockets or fitted armour or one that's warm/waterproof. Whatever happens your gear will get knocked about, dirty and wet. Don't forget thermal underwear and waterproof socks (I hate wet feet).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:59 pm 
400 cc

You will boil in any jacket when the going gets tough but with a light weight one you can take it off and roll it up.
With a big Enduro jacket when it stops raining and your hot you can't take it off.
I had a Yamaha Enduro jacket and sold it 6 months later and got the RJ5 because they were cheap and kept me dry.

If you have the money though Klim PowerXross jackets look superb as they are not too thick but fully waterproof and are said to keep you warm in winter and cool in summer.
They also have the zip under the arm to get it on over body armour/pressure suite.
After reading the reviews and trying one on I will be getting one of these next 8-)
http://www.adventure-spec.com/shop/klim ... rod_7.html

www.ManchesterTRF.com
www.FozardProperties.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:18 pm 
125cc

Hi Racman,

When I first started I spent a small fortune on a jacket and a pair of MX trousers.

After a top quality off I ripped the sleeve on the jacket still useable but was gutted. The trousers are good kit well vented etc great for enduro's but I found green laning every puddle i went through, in came the water through the vents etc.

So after looking at other people's riding kit I headed of down to my local Army surplus store and bought a pair of black rip stop trousers £10 and a rip stop combat jacket £10 both are waterproof (i do treat them with nikwax wash from millets) and I've had a couple of off's in them and they are very abrasion resistant, and at that price I'll just get another if it's ruined!

Obviously under these items I wear good body armour, mx boots, armoured shorts and knee&shin pads.

HTH
Steve

'92 Honda XR 250 for green lane grins
'98 Honda VTR Firestorm for tarmac grins

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:01 pm 
+1 For Army Surpluss. I also use cheaper bike textile kit in the winter. I have a mate of a mate , he bought a job lot of bike gear, and is in the process of selling it! The stuff is all brand new! He has load of virtually everything you can think of!!! the jack & trouser I bought are Lewis, I used them the other night in the torrential rain, then were lovely and Dry / warm

His name is Steve Gregory - Tel 07711 058 612 email steveg@bitsforbikes.com

Here are some examples of the jackets / trousers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:14 pm 
80 cc

TK max is a good cheap source of lightweight trail riding gear.You need last years snowboard /hiking gear. BASE LAYERS that wick sweat away from the body, thermal layer to keep you warm,waterproof layer to keep you....well you get the idea!! (although army surplus takes some beating for waterproofs...they are all goretex)Because it is for walkers it roles up small and is lightweight (drys quick too) key words to search for are BREATHABLE (the ability to let sweat out) 100% waterproof ( water shedding, water resilent,shower proof,are NO good!!!) only waterproof. I can get hold of waterproof /breathable socks for £14 a pair but they are only mid calf in sizes 8/9.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]