TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Public byways?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:10 am 
400 cc

As stated above, blue "unsuitable for motors" signs are advisory only so don't mean that the lane is closed.

Legal closure signs are round with a red border as shown in the top photo. These are enforcable and potentially the maximum penalty for contravening a TRO is £1,000 fine :shock: although a £30 fixed penalty notice is more likely (but don't say I didn't warn you).

As for challenging TROs well that is both possible and has to be worth a try because even if you don't succeed the fuss you make will probably help discourage the authority from making any more. In the current climate that alone could be considered a victory of sorts but lets not be defeatist about this.

The first thing you need to know is why the lane was closed. Authorities can't just close roads, they need a reason (often the reason wont make any sense or wont be fair but they still need to justify it somehow for no other reason than it can cost them quite a bit of money).

Contact the County Council RoW Dept (Email address on thier web site) and ask why the lane/s are closed. You may or may not get a sensible answer and even if it sounds sensible without further investigation you can't know if they're telling the truth so you need to make more inquires.

Ask for a copy of the order, a copy of a map showing the extent of the closure, a copy of the "statement of reasons" and for copies of ALL consultation responses from the original public consultation. You may also want to ask for copies of the minutes from the relevant council meetings where this was discussed although in some counties this info may already be available on line if you know where to look (they can tell you that).

All of this info should be freely available on request but if they are at all reluctant to release it make a Freedom of Information Act request (again their web site will tell you how to do that, it is free and easy).

Once you have that info you can decide for yourself whether the restriction is really justified or not. Remember that TROs are quite flexible, they don't have to restrict all vehicles all of the time.

If your not happy that your authority have behaved reasonably or you feel that they have discriminated against you in this matter then the thing to do is make a formal complaint. Don't just write an angry letter/Email about it actually follow the councils formal complaint proceedure (again this will be detailed on their web site and is free and easy).

Exactly what you put in your complaint etc will depend on circumstances of the case so it is hard to offer any general advice but if you are not happy with their response (and they must respond within a given time, thats the benefit of a formal complaint) then escalate th ecomplaint to th enext level (there are usually three stages to the complaint proceedure).

Beyond this things will get a bit more complex and how to proceed will vary so if anyone is seriously thinking about doing this and you are a current TRF member you will want to speak with your TRF Group RoW Officer and possibly your Area RoW Advisor.

If anyone has a specific case they want to persue then I'd be happy to give some more detailed advice but would obviously need the full background info first so go ahead and make some inquires. Then let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Richard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:38 pm 
80 cc

Thanks again Richard 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:25 pm 
300 cc

now,now,steveo,what's this about not being good enough for bmw's,i'll have you know i've got a g650x challenge and it would go down that there lane pretty much ok,if i lived down there,but i live reet up north,so i don't,and can't,so there,boom,boom!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:24 pm 
80 cc

I knew it :!: :!:
Somebody was going to say something :roll:

What I ment was yer M5 not yer GS :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:27 pm 
300 cc

ok,i forgive you :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:12 pm 
125cc

steveo wrote:
Coincidence that.
My wife comes from about 3 miles from there.
Never knew there where so many lanes in that area.

If you mean the paths with the red dots, they are foot paths and not open to horses or vehicles (mechanical or pulled by animals).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:40 pm 
80 cc

Hi thats a great site... the Bike Hike for OS maps, I am looking for places to go around North Somerset and Chew Valley is just down the road, however what do I look for on the map lol as I haven't a clue?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:33 pm 
125cc

Boats a marked with this pattern -+-+-+- or in green on 1:25000 maps

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 pm 
connor25 wrote:
Hi thats a great site... the Bike Hike for OS maps, I am looking for places to go around North Somerset and Chew Valley is just down the road, however what do I look for on the map lol as I haven't a clue?

Thanks

I would also suggest that you head to your local TRF NMeeting.... the loink to them are on the front page of the main site. They will show you what is legal :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2