TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Public byways?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:46 pm 
80 cc

We've got a few (good) lanes around here (west Herts) marked on the maps as BOAT's but signed on the ground as "public byways" with no vehicular access.

Surely a BOAT with no vehicular access is a restricted byway?

Post subject: Re: Public byways?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:42 pm 
400 cc

No, it's a byway open to all traffic thats subject to a traffic regulation order!

Unfortunately authorities can do that. Even though the route has rights for vehicular traffic the highway authority have the power under the Road Traffic Regulations Act 1984 to close the road or limit the traffic permitted.

In many counties this is the biggest threat we face. In the past it was usually possible to shrug your shoulders and go elsewhere but since NERC some counties have such limitted networks (and I say Herts qualifies for this) that we really should be putting pressure on councils to reopen some of these routes.

There is no reason why they can't. These closures are not permanent only "indefinite". The authority that made the order can revoke the order or modify it they just don't have much incentive for doing so. We need to be a lot more bloody minded about this :twisted: It's time we started making a fuss!

Cheers

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:27 pm 
Richard Sugden wrote:

In many counties this is the biggest threat we face. In the past it was usually possible to shrug your shoulders and go elsewhere but since NERC some counties have such limitted networks (and I say Herts qualifies for this) that we really should be putting pressure on councils to reopen some of these routes.

There is no reason why they can't. These closures are not permanent only "indefinite". The authority that made the order can revoke the order or modify it they just don't have much incentive for doing so. We need to be a lot more bloody minded about this :twisted: It's time we started making a fuss!

Cheers

Richard

Richard, how do we start to make a fuss? I live in Herts, and want MORE byways to ride :) I would liek to have Bucks opened up as I am sure Steveo would as well...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:08 pm 
80 cc

I can proove these lanes where roads right back to the 1800's is that enough?
I suspect they where restricted (pre-nerc as it turns out) at the request of the few people who live on them, making them in effect thair own private driveways :evil: .

A pic of one of the lanes that runs in a nice deep cutting-

Thanks for answering my question Richard.
What is the procedure for trying to get them re-opened? or would it just be a waste of time?

Lanes are here-

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

I know there's not alot mileage wise but they are good lanes and with them I could peice together a local ride without riding 20+ miles or driving in the van for an hour which is the main reason I've not been trail riding much for the past 12 months just doing enduros.
NB ( I do know some people have been useing them on bikes but I wont take the risk).

Last edited by steveo on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:32 pm 
Steve, I beleive you are part of the Herts TRF aren't you? if so Steve Vaughan our residen expert may well be able to help / guide you

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:07 pm 
125cc

There is a trail that in North Somerset by Chew Valley Lakethat has the Blue Unsuitable for Motors Sign at the bottom, However not the red circular sign.
I have ridden it before assuming the blue sign just advisory but will no longer continue if it is closed.
It is marked as a Boat and I haven't Found a TRO relating to it does anyone local know if it is still open for riders the specific trail is marked in green.

any feedback is helpful

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:20 pm 
300 cc

My understanding of current law would lead me to believe the road to be open,if no sign exists on the course of the route to indicate a legal action restricting or prohibiting vehicular traffic then the road is open
yours in the thick of it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:51 pm 
80 cc

Mr Fox
Your good to go on that one.
Clearly shown as a BOAT and public right of way.

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

Blue advisory's are just that, to advise people the roads not good enough for thair BMW's.
Clear on trailwise as well.
Looks like a good lane.
(Yes I'm jelous)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:58 pm 
125cc

Cheers for the help guys, still fairl new to this lark.

But yeah it is one of my favourite local lanes, apart from at moment the entire bottom of it is sheet ice and it's been that way for 3 weeks now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:12 pm 
80 cc

Coincidence that.
My wife comes from about 3 miles from there.
Never knew there where so many lanes in that area.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next