TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: No more Huskys
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:58 pm 
650 cc Monster

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/wheels ... 64690.html

Once they've sold the existing stock, you'll be able to buy a KTM with red plastic and a crown on the tank.

Sad end after 110 years.

Post subject: Re: No more Huskys
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:40 pm 
200 cc

That will be a pity. Might mean there are some bargains about...

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:00 pm 
650 cc Monster

Never a truer word James...

http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.co.uk/ ... otion.aspx

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:20 pm 
400 cc

Yep also on here: http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/general-discu ... l-rat.html

Seems like there is up to 30% off Huskies.

Makes sense really shifting production from Italy. Don't think you can blame KTM, looks like BMW caused this to happen.

They are good at that, remember Rover? (Although they did a good job with Mini to be fair)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:27 pm 
200 cc

Such a shame ive owned my 1992 610te called Bella, for about 5 years and allthough its a ba#*%?d to start and everthing is on the wrong side (including the kickstart) and it goes through oil like an Arabian tycoon, I love it to bits :-)

Still 21 years of abuse and still going strong, might have it for some years to come.
Few piccies for the Husky fans

Before I rebuilt it, and fitted the USD Forks
During the rebuild

Even goes supermoto every now and again

Even did an5 day tour of d lakes on it :-S was hard work ill tell ya especially 2 up.

Husqvarna soon to be gone but I doubt they will ever be forgotten.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:36 am 
[quote="spitfire"]

Makes sense really shifting production from Italy. Don't think you can blame KTM, looks like BMW caused this to happen.

They are good at that, remember Rover? (Although they did a good job with Mini to be fair)[/quote]

I don't think you can blame BMW for this, after all they have tried to bring the brand up to date but KTM are a strong adversary in this market at the moment. I'd suggest that KTM where running scared of it becoming a success and are therefor doing what they did with Husaberg which is convert loyal followers on to the KTM brand.

It's a shame for another brand to go this way and that BMW didn't make a succes of it as it would have been nice to have had some retro (like new mini) Husky style twinshocks for us to play on 8-)

Anyways when are you next in Devon for a ride?

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:34 pm 
400 cc

snafu21 wrote:
I don't think you can blame BMW for this, after all they have tried to bring the brand up to date but KTM are a strong adversary in this market at the moment. I'd suggest that KTM where running scared of it becoming a success and are therefor doing what they did with Husaberg which is convert loyal followers on to the KTM brand.

It's a shame for another brand to go this way and that BMW didn't make a succes of it as it would have been nice to have had some retro (like new mini) Husky style twinshocks for us to play on 8-)

humm.... not sure I completely agree..

After the failed G450X, BMW dumped the engine on Husky, to be fair they made a stab at it but it was still a bubble and squeak bike. Then rather than focusing on Enduro, Supermoto an MX, they started to bring out a range of bloated street bike again using BMW engines.

Plus, why did BMW sell up and why is there a claimed 11000 unsold bikes kicking around?

But I do hope KTM make something of Husky......I've always been a bit of a fan even if I have never owned one!

KTM would do well to look at VW....

They have VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat...4 brands which all use basically the same parts.....each brand has its own market

VW = Middle class.

Skoda = Middle class who pretend they are not.

Audi = Sporty middle class

Seat = Sporty middle class who pretend they are not

Sorry I'm being silly now :-)

snafu21 wrote:
Anyways when are you next in Devon for a ride?

We are down 14th of June with the Cambs boys..

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:56 pm 
650 cc Monster

Officially BMW sold up because they wanted to 'refocus on sustainable urban mobility solutions' (which in plain English is very expensive Chinese scooters).

Flogging loads of relatively fuel-efficient scooters reduces their 'range average' fuel consumption and enables them to continue to sell high-performance cars (just like you can buy an Aston Martin badged Toyota Yaris, if you really want one).

I suspect a similar strategy lies behind VAG's purchase of Ducati for Audi...expect to see a range of Chinese Ducati scooters, which can be used to offset the fuel consumption of the high-performance Audi cars.

The reason there are 11000 unsold Huskies is because they have been unable to find customers for them. If the situation in the rest of the world is the same as it is in the UK then Husky dealers are not road bike dealers (when I bought a Husky trail bike I had to do all the registration paperwork myself as the dealer couldn't fill the forms in), and BMW dealers were not interested in selling non BMWs.

My experience of automotive mergers/takeovers (and business mergers/takeovers generally) is that they usually end in disaster. Look no further than DaimlerChrysler, which has to be one of the biggest corporate cock-ups in history.

Technical alliances on the other hand, work better. The tie up between BMW and Aprilia that produced the Funduro/Pegaso is a good example. Both excellent bikes, and both hugely extended the customer base for each company.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:05 pm 
650 cc Monster

Bet the Italian unions are pi$$ing Pierer about which is why he pulled out.

Bound to be a bit of a culture clash between Northern Europe work ethic and Southern Europe approach.

I heard the Spanish are so worried about the financial crisis they're having trouble getting to sleep in the afternoon.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:10 pm 
650 cc Monster

Interestingly Iveco is closing plants in Italy and elsewhere in Europe to concentrate heavy truck production at its plant in Spain...are they expecting a Spanish exit from the Euro and a lower value currency in Spain lowering the cost of building the trucks?

Piaggio did the opposite...closed the Derbi factory in Spain and moved production to Italy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next