TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: green laning
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:42 pm 
50 cc

Hi
i have just joined today and i am thinking of becoming a member, the only problem i have is i dont know of any green lanes near me, i live in kingston upon hull and was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction on where to find legal green lanes?
Cheers

Post subject: Re: green laning
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:21 am 
400 cc

john__m wrote:
Hi
i have just joined today and i am thinking of becoming a member, the only problem i have is i dont know of any green lanes near me, i live in kingston upon hull and was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction on where to find legal green lanes?
Cheers

John

The East Yorks region has "reformed" and has met once in Pocklington. Next meeting is in Market Weighton on 14th April 8pm - I think it's the Goodmanham Arms but you can confirm that by speaking to the new area rep James Harrison - I have PM'd you his number. There are two or three members in Hull and we intend to ride lanes around the Wolds, North Yorks Moors and Dales.

Hope to see you there

Mag

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:43 am 
50 cc

Cheers mag, ill give him a call, does it make any difference that i have a quad and not a trials bike?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:28 am 
400 cc

Not sure about the quadbike thing within the TRF, you'll have to get some clarity from someone official on that.

Practically speaking there are lanes in the Yorkshire Dales and the Peak District where it would be impossible to use a quadbike because of the width of them and their lack of ground clearance. I don't know about Wolds lanes because I have never ridden any yet.

I think that you should have a look at picking up a "trail" bike - not "trials" bike. Trials is the Dougie Lampkin type hopping from rock to rock, feet up mallarcky. Trail bikes (and enduro bikes) are suitable for riding LEGAL green lanes. There are people who ride green lanes on road legal trials bikes, especially older twinshock machines like TY250's etc. and these would be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:31 pm 
80 cc

As far as I know Quads are welcome - following the same code of conduct as everyone else, I think there are lanes everywhere in the country that would be difficult/impossible by Quad - but then again there will be plenty that are fine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:27 pm 
400 cc

Don't worry John, as Adam says, Quads are definitely welcome in the TRF.

One thing to consider though is that a quad might not always be legal where a bike is. Of course in general terms you are permitted to use the same lanes but I do know of a few routes that are restricted to motorcycles only (at least out here in East Anglia). These restrictions are usually seasonal and are designed to stop 4x4s from damaging the lanes during the winter.

The problem is that these Traffic Regulation Orders prohibit vehicles with "more than two wheels" so while they are not aimed at quads (the authority probably never even considered them) they are caught by default.

Still, hopefully there may not be any of those kind of restrictions in your area. Just thought it was a point worth making.

And by the way, if anyone reading this with a road legal quad ever fancies a ride around Cambridgeshire/Suffolk/Norfolk etc I'd be happy to lead a run, on one condition! You let me have a spin on your quad because i've never ridden one before and it looks like a lot of fun.

Cheers

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:07 pm 
125cc

As a side issue, our Local Authority in Northamptonshire see quads the same as motorcycles, even though our lanes are closed to 4 wheels for 6 or 7 months and open to Motorcyles all year round, they would not see a Quad as breaking the rules.

Quads are welcomed in the TRF and are becoming quite popular in many areas.

Regards

SB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:41 pm 
80 cc

Blingy Orange wrote:
As a side issue, our Local Authority in Northamptonshire see quads the same as motorcycles, even though our lanes are closed to 4 wheels for 6 or 7 months and open to Motorcyles all year round, they would not see a Quad as breaking the rules.

Quads are welcomed in the TRF and are becoming quite popular in many areas.

Regards

SB

This is an interesting point, quads are a bit of a grey area in many respects, I ride both quads and solos and find them both a very different experience.

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but I believe some of the Greenways in the IOM have a weight restriction rather than one relating to number of wheels.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:31 pm 
400 cc

Yes and there is a copy of the IOM green lane code of conduct (or some such) in theTRF files section of this very web site!

Cheers

Richard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:40 am 
400 cc

John

It was the Londesborough Arms in Market Weighton, I hope that you spoke to Jim and cleared that up. I went to the meeting but I don't know whether you did or not - didn't hear anyone say they had a quad bike so I assume not. Try to get to the next one which is on 12th May - 8pm start.

Hope to see you there!
Mag

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next