TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Tire pressures
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:20 pm 
650 cc Monster

I normally run between 12 and 15 psi front and back.
Only tried a higher pressure once after changing a reartyre ran it at 25 to start of first trail, I felt the back end was all over the place, dropped to 15psi and never used anything higher, remember these are not road tyres so don't thinkabout road pressures, with a rim lock there should never be a problem with tyres creeping and even down at about 5psi there is little likelyhood of the tyre comming of the rim.

Suggest you start at 15psi and then try dropping it by one psi a ride till you get to something you like for the area you ride.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:30 am 
125cc

As said previously 15 psi sounds right but remember you might want to run with thicker innertubes if you do a lot of rocky stuff to save pinch punctures. had a friend out on his first laning rideout who is an experienced mountain biker so i thought he would be ok but first lane i had to go back to find him he was spinning the back tyre all over the place on a drz 400 s he was running 30 psi reduced this to 14 and he was fine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:16 pm 
80 cc

I stand corrected, Si - sorry, I guessed that your qualifier of "I will use this on the road as well" meant that you might be doing lots of 60-70mph riding on tarmac - for which you might find 15psi rather 'limiting' in most respects, because it was your only bike or even your only vehicle. Now it's more clear that those duties are better covered by the Tenere, 15psi is probably a good start-point for trail-riding and the tarmac between the lanes.

Be careful with that comment about 5psi with a rim-lock, though - 5psi is a really minimal pressure for a rear tyre, even with TWO rimlocks (which is popularly considered essential on the rear, for the really low pressures). The tyre coming off the rim is not the only issue, there - it's more to do with rocks or potholes getting really unfriendly with the tube and the rim (especially potholes, because you'll likely be doing a greater speed if hitting the sharp side of one).

Good luck with that revitalised XR.

[Basic trail-riding advice from Fox/Jennings/Owen/Ruffy, 1979]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2