TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Road Legal Tyre Choices
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:06 am 
400 cc

For a long time I have used Bridgestone "Gritty", road legal enduro tyres on my trail bikes.

The current model numbers for their road and MOT legal pairing (note there are some similar tyres which are not road legal) are ED661 front and ED668 rear.

These tyres are marked MST which my local dealer informs me stands for multi surface tyre (ie tarmac and dirt).

Although these tyres do offer excellent grip in extremely muddy conditions I have rather gone off them in their recent form.

Bridgestone appear to have been developing these tyres for pure competition use rather than trail riding and while they have always been sold as "enduro" tyres the tread pattern used to be a good compromise. On the latest model though it is so agressive that in my view it's no longer really suitable for mixed (ie trail) use.

Still it is an option, especially if you do a lot of very muddy riding. Just don't expect to get more than a few rides out of the rear if you do any significant tarmac milage thats all. They literally disapear before your eyes!!!!

Still, you pays your money and you takes your pick I guess. Definitely still road legal although when you look at them it's hard to see how :?: .

cheers

Richard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:58 am 
125cc

chuz wrote:
Hi
On Tyres - added the road legal michelin enduros - love these

Michelin Enduro MS FIM Approved
Michelin Enduro comp 3 FIM Approved
Michelin Enduro comp 4 FIM Approved

Chuz,

I see you have added the Mitchelin Enduro Comps. Are these definitely 'Road Legal'. FIM Approved does not mean road legal. I have looked at the mitchelin sites and I cannot find anything that tells us.

Can you check the definitive answer?

SB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:26 pm 
80 cc

Dunlop Geomax's are my fav i use on trail and for enduros's FIM aproved to for comp.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:23 am 
80 cc

Pirelli MT43 (trials pattern rear)

popular in cornwall for wet slate.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:55 pm 
50 cc

Hi,
Michelin Enduro comps - Road legal? Yes agree can be very vague.

check here http://www.dirtbikestore.co.uk/acatalog ... es_66.html

Seen the comps advertised as road legal in a few places. But again thats still not a definitive. I would think I have a pretty solid argurement that they are road legal if challenged.
They suit my light 200exc as they drift a little earlier and give nice warning/feel. Running Crossengos (also MST marked) at the moment these last twice as long (2k+ miles rear) but grip then slide/snatch on my bike - Seem better on a heavier/4 stroke.

Just found this on the MOT site

Item 2 Motorcycle Tyres - Motocross or Similar
There is a number of Motocross or similar type tyres on the market with the spacing between the block treads greater than the block width and that have been approved for road use. According to the MOT Inspection Manual guidance these tyres should be failed unless they have an approval marking and MST (Multi Service Tyre) moulded into the sidewall of the tyre.
If a machine is presented for MOT test fitted with any of these types of tyres, you should not fail them just because they do not display MST. If the tyre is marked with an ‘E’ in a circle, or an ‘e’ in a rectangle, moulded in to the tyre wall, this shows that the tyre has been type approved for road use. Similarly if a tyre is permanently marked with the letters JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) or DOE (American Standard) then the tyre is also approved for road use. These tyres may not necessarily be marked MST as set out in the information column in Section 4.1 page 1 (‘Examples of unsuitable tyres’ paragraph b.) of the MOT Inspection Manual.
Therefore principal reason for failure 1, ‘an unsuitable tyre’ in the Motor Bicycle and Side Car Testing Manual section 4.1 page 1 does not apply to these tyres providing they permanently display on a sidewall any of the approval markings mentioned in the above paragraph.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:13 pm 
200 cc

Richard Sugden wrote:
For a long time I have used Bridgestone "Gritty", road legal enduro tyres on my trail bikes.

The current model numbers for their road and MOT legal pairing (note there are some similar tyres which are not road legal) are ED661 front and ED668 rear.

These tyres are marked MST which my local dealer informs me stands for multi surface tyre (ie tarmac and dirt).

Although these tyres do offer excellent grip in extremely muddy conditions I have rather gone off them in their recent form.

Bridgestone appear to have been developing these tyres for pure competition use rather than trail riding and while they have always been sold as "enduro" tyres the tread pattern used to be a good compromise. On the latest model though it is so agressive that in my view it's no longer really suitable for mixed (ie trail) use.

Still it is an option, especially if you do a lot of very muddy riding. Just don't expect to get more than a few rides out of the rear if you do any significant tarmac milage thats all. They literally disapear before your eyes!!!!

Still, you pays your money and you takes your pick I guess. Definitely still road legal although when you look at them it's hard to see how :?: .

cheers

Richard

Think you will find that it is the Bridgestone ED663 front & ED668 rear that replaces the road legal enduro tyre ED661 front & ED660 'Gritty' rear. At one time these were quite a reasonable price but more recently they have become too expensive compared to the European brands like Michelin, Pirelli & Metzeler.

My preferance is the Pirelli Scorpian MT83 Enduro road legal tyre. They came as standard on my '04 450 KTM & after I had run the new bike in on old ED661/660 Bridgestones, I put the OE tyres back on with extra heavy duty inner tubes & have never looked back.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:14 pm 
200 cc

chuz wrote:
Hi
On Tyres - added the road legal michelin enduros - love these

Michelin Baja Rear
Michelin Desert Front
Michelin AC10 Rear
Michelin AC10 Front
Mitas E09 Rear
Mitas E09 Front
Mitas C02
Trelleborg T913 Front
Trelleborg T914 Front
Trelleborg T994 Front
Trelleborg T434 Front
Trelleborg T913 Rear
Trelleborg T915 Rear
Trelleborg T644 Army Special
Pirelli MT21
Metzeler 6 Days Extreme

Pirelli MT83 Scorpian Enduro

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:02 am 
80 cc

Michelin Baja Rear
Michelin Desert Front
Michelin AC10 Rear
Michelin AC10 Front
Mitas EF06 Enduro front
Mitas E09 Rear
Mitas E09 Front
Mitas C02
Trelleborg T913 Front
Trelleborg T914 Front
Trelleborg T994 Front
Trelleborg T434 Front
Trelleborg T913 Rear
Trelleborg T915 Rear
Trelleborg T644 Army Special
Pirelli MT21
Pirelli MT83 Scorpian Enduro
Metzeler 6 Days Extreme
Bridgestone Gritty ED663 Front
Bridgestone Gritty ED660 Front

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:33 am 
200 cc

Bridgestones website is not very good concerning their 'enduro' tyres so I managed to find the next best thing on http://www.racespec.co.uk/acatalog.Brid ... Tyres.html

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:32 pm 
50 cc

hopefully some might be able to help me, i've just bought a shinko / GOLDEN BOY SR244 3.00-18‏ front tyre, and a cheng shin c858 3.50 x 18 rear tyre, both are tubed tyres, for my 1967 bsa bantam greenlaner, does anyone know if these are road legal or not, as far as i can tell they are, but they aren't on the list? :?

Cheers
IanD

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next