TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: help enduro racing? how do we start?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:17 pm 
80 cc

thanks for all the info do i need to get a licence to race?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:41 pm 
650 cc Monster

Check the TBEC site. details of day licence on there.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:19 pm 
400 cc

TBEC do allow newbies to do one event on a day license.

Actually I have been told that they may allow you to do this a couple of times but not indefinitely!

If your planning on doing a few it's cheaper to get a license for the year anyway (assuming you get one at the begging of the year that is).

Cheers

Richard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:02 pm 
80 cc

Hi lads, i have been helping out a setup called Enduroland who do practice sessions for the likes of us who want to get into or try out Enduro racing, they have a great setup and are all very friendly. They had one two weeks ago in Northaw near Potters Bar in Herts the one i went to last weekend was in Banbury and they have a perminant track near Milton Keynes.
Its £35.00 for the day have a look at the website, its worth it .

www.enduroland.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:00 pm 
80 cc

Enduronews.com seems to be the best for planning an event..... depends where you're based aswell.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:01 pm 
80 cc

If you're down South try Southern Counties Enduro Club (http://www.enduro.org.uk/).

I've entered the first round of their season on 14th February which is near Blandford in Dorset. They have a novice/trail bike class.

I'm currently running a road legal 1987 CR250. See http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?aBID=124986&p=3&topicID=23284186

Ian

https://www.facebook.com/DTRFG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:14 am 
80 cc

Glad to hear you're up for giving it a go mate!
The bug is catching. Myself and a mate from the WMTRF group decided to give it a go last year with the CEC (Cotswolds Enduro Club) Slow Pete Series for beginners, despite having no enduro/racing experience either. Both had Gasgas EC00's and bugger all talent! ;)

Had a brilliant year with the club, who are incredibly friendly and run an excellent show. You can ride as a club member or pay a few quid more as a non-member. Most races are about £40, there's 8 different categories for Vets, MXers, Trail, Sportsmen etc. They race all over Midlands & Wales and there's 8 set events, although you can also enter some standalone races, or the Club Championship races if you're up for it. The better riders make their own way around you, despite the wobbling along. ;)

We enjoyed it so much a few other WMTRF members had a go after hearing our ramblings about it, that this season there's 7 group members entering!!

Have a look on their website for race dates etc if you're interested...http://www.cotswoldenduro.co.uk
First race is 14th Feb at Stone, Staffs on military ground. It's an open event so not categorised for any championship.
Here's some pics from the final race at Long Compton in October http://www.flickr.com/photos/16720752@N02/sets/72157622522386654/

You'll not regret it! ;)
Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:17 am 
80 cc

Ok, a few little tips. Not sure what your budget is. If you can get some new tyres to start out with and whilst you are at it get some extra heavy-duty inner tubes. Fresh oil in the motor, a fresh air filter. Fit some wrap around hand guards, KTM Black ones will fit any bike, look cool and are very strong without having metal bars in them. A good buy they are. They only cost £35 too.

Don’t have suspension set hard, floppy is better to start out.

Run tyres at 13 PSI front and 10/12 rear. If very sloppy run the rear as low as 6 and avoid sharp rocks.

a Camel back (Halfords) is a good investment. Don’t be tempted by the Platypus system, they are crud.

Don’t do the trail riders thing of carrying spare tubes, tyre weld, tyre levers spark plug, spanners, screw drivers spare levers, 8 mars bars and a tub of Swarfega. You dont need any of that crap, you can usually limp back to the pits for tools or a flag a marshal. Unless its a huge lap on a time card enduro. In which case a small selection of tools can be handy.

Have a good feed the day before and stuff your face on the morning of the race and scoff a couple of Mars bars just before the off. Drink until you slop.

Once you are happy you have a decently prepared bike that will last the distance you can think about the race.

At beginner level a hare and hounds race is not won/lost at the start. Take off as quickly as you feel comfy with and feel your way into the race, if you see a bit coming up that you think you can ride fast on then ride it fast, if you are not sure of some obstacle then rather than dive in get stuck or crash, wait up a mo and see how it is done, then have a crack at it yourself, if it is tricky then a cautious attempt will usually result in failure, so attack it, better to burnout than fade away. If you do make it you feel great. If you dont, think about why you failed and learn for the next lap.
If you feel tired and fancy a break then find some ware conveinent and pull over, a couple of mins at the side of the track can work wonders on your spirits and body, but get back into the fray as soon as you can. Take the opportunity to have a good drink from your Camelback and if you have a Mars taped to your bars or in a handy pocket, scoff it. NEVER NEVER stop at the pits for a rest, you will spend ages in there, too many people and loosers having a break to talk to and things to fiddle with, it's also far to easy to call it a day and pack up if you are in the pits. Only ever stop at the pits for fuel or repairs, NEVER a rest. Good tip that one, this is psychological sport.

Do not make the novice mistake of wearing thermals all the normal kit plus a winter enduro jacket, you will cook yourself, turn red, fog your goggles and explode into a ball of steam. If its cold just wear all the normal riding gear and maybe a body warmer with a decent zip that you can operate with gloves on. You will soon be warm if you are working hard enough, if you are still cold, go faster.

Wear good anti mist goggles, UVEX and ProGrip anti fogs are my current choice. The usual Scott/Smith MX goggles are crap for enduros and tearoffs are banned. Buy a roll off system and fit it to the goggles. Need to drill little holes for this.

Break the race down into time chunks. Four for a four hour and three/two for a three hour race. Then you can say to yourself that "I only have 20 mins till I finish this chunk” Then do the same on the remaining chunks and before you know it you are at then end. Four hours sounds loads, four lots of one sounds easier!

Don’t be put out or off by people shouting you out of the way, find a convenient place and move over to let em past. They are not angry with you and they don’t think you are a twat, they are just in a hurry and are urging you to let em pass. Some riders are ignorant beyond belief and think that if the faster riders are that good then they can find away past by riding off piest, we wont, that is too dangerous, riding at speed in bracken or long grass is a last resort, un cooperative riders do get the treatment if they persistently ignore requests to pass. Please don’t be one of them, you will loose.

Above all have fun and try to enjoy the race, getting to the end is a fantastic feeling, only doing half and stopping because you have had enough is not a good feeling, you will kick yourself all the way home and wonder why you stopped. Plus no BJ from the adoring Missus. By passing the finish line you will have beaten all those stood in the pits having a sandwich telling their mates what bits were hard and how good they were through them.

It’s a tough sport, which requires a good strong mind as well as body, in fact I would say the mind is more important. I am quite successful, not because I am fast or talented, which I am not, I just try harder than most.

Have fun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:43 am 
80 cc

x2 for everything Mick says 8-) .
Another tip that I found useful is when somebody passes you try and keep up and watch what they're doing and copy them (if what they're doing works!) untill they're out of sight, this has the effect of makeing you faster plus it keeps your eye on the ball so to speak, and help avoid things like target fixation.
But above all dont forget to enjoy yourself. :roll:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2