TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: DRZ400 S/SM...Which one?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:52 am 
80 cc

after my thread on a good first bike and some reading the drz looks like a good low maintenace first bike.

However trying to find a nice one with indicators and all road going business is proving a harder than i first thought. There is a lot bigger selection of SM models than s/e models.

I planned on buying a set of road wheels for the summer days anyway, so my thought here goes with finding a nice SM model and buying off road wheels instead. what i want to know though is there any problems im missing out on here? ive seen stuff about the brake disc being different sizes and either fitting a bracket on the caliper or just using a different disc?

So my real question is, is there any major difference stopping me doing this? Anything that would make the S model be a better choice? My riding will be about 50/50 road and off road.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: DRZ400 S/SM...Which one?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:18 am 
400 cc

I think that the suspension is different on the SM models, they are totally road biased.
The S models are dual sport and the E is more off road focused.
Given your usage I would say either S or E but the E model will be more robust off road.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:50 pm 
650 cc Monster

The E model was not sold as road legal (although it is easily made so and most have been). The early ones were too noisy...even illegal for racing!

The SM has different suspension: shorter travel, USD forks; and the big front brake.

Hold out for an S or an E if you can.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:15 pm 
400 cc

Niether.
Too top heavy,in my opinion.
Look for something lighter.

Hereford Chairman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:56 pm 
80 cc

I don't know much at all about bikes but I'm slowly learning. Any problems with use forks off road? What's he actual difference on them?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:47 pm 
650 cc Monster

The USD (upside down) fork has the 'male' part of the fork leg under the 'female' part, which supposedly makes it more resistant to flex under braking. There's nothing wrong with this off-road (most off-road bikes now have USD forks), but the specific fork used on the SM has less travel and stiffer springs and damping than its counterpart of the E and S models, which happen to use a right way up fork.

It would be very difficult to get the fork on the SM to perform as well over larger bumps as the fork on the S or the E. But, it would still be OK for trail riding on all but the roughest roads. However, if you have short legs, the shorter for may actually make it easier to ride 90 % of the time.

The DRZ is a bit heavier than, say, a KTM 400 enduro. But if you are reasonably big and strong, it's not impossibly heavy: indeed some of our female members ride DR-Zs. The extra weight is really only a handicap if you get stuck or fall off (which we do do from time to time) or are racing (which we don't do).

The big advantage that the DRZ has over the European competition is it needs less engine-related spannering (oil changes etc). It's also generally more robust: for example there are 3 rear wheel bearings where a KTM has just 2.

That robustness comes at a price, and the price is weight.

Look out also for a CCM 404: a British(!) bike that uses the Suzuki engine and KTM suspension.

Or, if you aren't tall, the Beta Alp 4.0 with uses the fantastic Suzuki DR350S engine with a six-speed gearbox in a European-built bike. Not a racer at all, but a great bike for the lanes and short distance commuting.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:55 pm 
80 cc

Funny you should ask.

I have the SM model and I have reluctantly finally converted it to dirt (today) I haven't ridden it on the dirt yet but a fellow trf-ian used to own the bike and I followed him on it a few times.

I've just posted a few words and pics about it here.

I'll probably post up about it once I have ridden it in the dirt a bit. But for now it'll do me.

PS: I love the SM side of things. It's a right giggle.

Here is a before and after shot

Before:

After:

YouTube Music Website Facebook Wheelies

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:09 pm 
300 cc

There's still loads more suspension travel than on my Serow, which is fine for laning

Honda CRF250X (2005) gone
KTM 690 Enduro (2010) gone
Yamaha XT 225 Serow (1992) gone
Yamaha XT600E Ethiopia-South Africa-Ethiopia 1995-96, K428OMW- I'll buy it back if it's still out there!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:22 pm 
80 cc

Just bought a wr450 this morning so his thread is irrelevant now :lol:

It's getting delivered tomorrow so I can come out to play soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:19 pm 
200 cc

geodude wrote:
Funny you should ask.

I have the SM model and I have reluctantly finally converted it to dirt (today) I haven't ridden it on the dirt yet but a fellow trf-ian used to own the bike and I followed him on it a few times.

I've just posted a few words and pics about it here.

I'll probably post up about it once I have ridden it in the dirt a bit. But for now it'll do me.

PS: I love the SM side of things. It's a right giggle.

Here is a before and after shot

Before:

After:

You're going to shit yourself when it comes to an emergency stop on wet tarmac with knobblies and that huge front disc.
I have only ever had to 'red card' one rider in the 20 years that I have been leading trail rides.... he had an SM model with the 21" wheel and large front disc. He had several front wheel lock-up offs, the final one sending under the front of a farmers Land Rover, luckily not being harmed.....

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next