TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bike swap?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:59 pm 
125cc

I currently ride a 91 xlr250. Its a great little machine that has done everything ive ever asked of it. Ive put crm250 usd forks on it, changed the tank for a plastic one and thats it really.
The thing is, I'm itching to try a 2 stroke. I have a very limited budget (skint) and would have to part with what I have to fund a 2t. Ive been looking at kdx 200/220 and was after opinions on the machine. Im not an experienced rider off road (about 8 months) and like I said the bike I have does everything I ask of it, Im just reluctant to get rid of it only to regret the change. In an ideal world I would like to swap for a day with someone who has a kdx or similar. I know its a big ask but if there is anyone in my area willing to do this it would solve my conundrum.
I ride with the north wales TRF once a month and can normally squeeze a sunday morning ride in every now and then (if the mrs is feeling nice). Any takers post here please.
Thanks
Paul

Post subject: Re: Bike swap?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:42 am 
125cc

Had an offer for a swap with a kdx 200 on a 93 plate for my xlr250. Obviously this is chalk and cheese but any thoughts and experieance on the kdx would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:56 am 
650 cc Monster

I've ridden similar bikes to both in the past.

The Kwak is probably one of the best clubman enduro bikes ever...really easy to ride...easy to start. You need to keep the silencer well-packed to stop it getting noisy.

But it's a bit thirsty and unpleasant to ride on the road.

So if you are after a dedicated trail/enduro bike the Kwak is a good choice...but you might want to check availability and prices for spares before taking the plunge into ownership.

The Honda on the other hand is excellent as a 'compromise' bike you can ride on the road and use for trail riding.

So, no one bike is better than the other...but they are better at different things!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:53 pm 
125cc

Cheers for the input. Think I've made my mind up to take the plunge and turn into a smoker :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:59 pm 
80 cc

if you're skint then putting decent 2T oil in on a regular basis is an expense that you need to consider....they will also need rebuilds more often, and if anything like any of the 2 strokes i've had, prone to siezing or holing pistons(though these were thrashed road bikes, not green laners)

SteveO

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]