TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Farmer on trial
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:11 pm 
650 cc Monster

Before sentencing the farmer before the trial............. :roll:

Consider that he might be one of the numerous good landowners that support TRF and welcome us to marshall equestrian events on their land.

It might well be the case that the riders he was chasing are of the minority that ride illegally and irresponsibly on a regular basis and lose us access.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:38 am 
400 cc

Rougharse-Racing wrote:
Mag wrote:
Rougharse-Racing wrote:
I do not think it is wise to post comment or opinion on ongoing court cases.

Then you shouldn't do it.

As for me I'm old enough and ugly enough to make up my own mind as to whether stating my opinion "throw the key away" is wise or not.

My point is that any post published whilst court proceedings are "live" which has the potential to influence a juror by implying guilt or otherwise undermining a fair trial runs a risk of being CONTEMPT OF COURT. I am uncertain whether your comment meets this criteria or not but any post that invites or encourages comments on live legal proceedings within the UK is highly irresponsible.

Thanks for your red and bold concern, but I'll take my chances.
So far you've stated that it's "not wise" and "highly irresponsible"

Just so there's no confusion I think they should throw the key away...... and beat him daily.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:28 am 
650 cc Monster

I have read this thread from its publication and until today have thought those who want to shout-off before the verdict is know should be allowed too.

However thinking about this properly reminds me that British justice believes somebody is innocent until proved guilty.
Should this farmer be found guilty then I would agree whole heartedly with the punishments being suggested however until that point are we not adopting the same tactics as those who want to ban us from using the lanes, i.e. somebody says it’s the bikes and 4x4’s that are causing all the damage to the lanes and the mindless NIMBY’s take this up even though in many cases there is no evidence that bikes have been responsible. If our case was put in front of a court of law then it is likely that when the amount of use is taken into account it’s the bikes that cause the least damage, or if based on a single use we would be placed after a 4x4 and a horse but above a cyclist and a walker.

I seem to remember a recent court case where HMRC took a public figure to court for not declaring income paid into an offshore bank account. No matter what we personally think about opening a bank account in the name of a dog this person was found not guilty and therefore is not guilty.

Likewise in this case the farmer will be judged by his peers and if found not guilty he will be not guilty no matter what we may think. Therefore let us vent our wrath after the verdict rather than before and show we are responsible law abiding people.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:38 am 

jonpaul1st wrote:
Before sentencing the farmer before the trial............. :roll:

Consider that he might be one of the numerous good landowners that support TRF and welcome us to marshall equestrian events on their land.

It might well be the case that the riders he was chasing are of the minority that ride illegally and irresponsibly on a regular basis and lose us access.

Yes it might well be. what the media reports and what the fact are proove to be at odds most of the time.

The otherside would be to say the farmer was defending his land and took reasonable actions and a tragic accident occurred.

Its a sad state when a few motorcyclists can cause such a reaction, and therefore more awareness and education to all must be the way forward.

I have no knowledge of this case or if the west sussex riders were members of teh TRF or just some illegal off roaders.

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:11 am 
400 cc

Right, this section of the forum is called "The Bar" and all of this soul-searching is fine if that's your thing but I'm a normal (ish) bloke and for now at least my opinion is "Throw the key away". I'm not trying to convert anyone, I'm certainly not trying to influence a jury :roll: it's just what I think.

If it turns out that these people attacked him and during the course of his defending himself managed to get underneath his car then I'll be wrong. I don't believe it is any way relevant whether they were riding illegally or not.

I'm not purporting to represent the views of anyone but me and I believe in this country I'm still entitled to them. So, once and for all - Throw the key away!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:07 am 

I enjoy reading your opinions, and nothing against them, and my post was not aimed against your post as some others were.

I will try not to do any soul searching in the bar :lol:

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:57 pm 
400 cc

Hi Red, I was answering general points, not one in particular.

I'm glad you enjoy my opinions.....that's two of us! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:48 pm 
650 cc Monster

I would never trust my own opinions as they are based on years of misunderstood research or misheard conversations.
It's good to get an argument/discussion going though.

The situation is very sad but I'm reserving judgement on the farmer until we hear the alleged full facts (rest edited out for possible dozyness)

Last edited by davidscott on Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:25 pm 
125cc

By not stopping when they did, it would seem..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:07 pm 
650 cc Monster

cjard wrote:
By not stopping when they did, it would seem..

Now edited for possible dozyness - the implication was the relative unlikelihood of a 4x4 catching an escaping bike(s).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next