TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Three weeks to save Chapelgate? Object now!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:22 pm 
650 cc Monster

for interest my reply back from Mike Rhodes and my letter to him.

Dear Mike

Thank you for your comments in relation to the experimental order prohibiting use by mechanically propelled vehicles at any time along the Chapel Gate route for an 18 month period.

Over the next 18 months the Authority will take into account all relevant information to consider whether to make a permanent traffic order or to vary or discontinue the restriction.

A report will be made to the appropriate committee in due course and you will be notified of the outcome of that. Any representations received will form part of the background papers to the report and will be made available for public inspection in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government Access to Information Act 1985.

The Authority currently operates a procedure that allows individuals or organisations to address members at meetings of the committee. Details of this procedure can be obtained from Democratic Services at the National Park Office.

Updates will be given on www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/chapelgate. Details on how we are managing recreational vehicles in the National Park can be found on www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/vehicles.

Please note that is not usual practice to enter into further correspondence on issues raised in representations.

Mike Rhodes
Access and Rights of Way Manager
Peak District National Park Authority

Direct line: 01629 816289
Mobile: 07798 587756
e-mail: mike.rhodes@peakdistrict.gov.uk

To: Rhodes Mike
Subject: Chapelgate - objection to the permanent adoption of the experimental TRO

Dear Mr Rhodes,

Please register my objection to the permanent adoption of the experimental TRO for Chapel Gate on the basis that it is a Green lane amenity for all users and as a Motorcycle trail rider, restricting access to me with my motorcycle is taking away an amenity from me.

Over the years I have visited the Peak district more than 6 times per year to explore the peak district. Firstly as a child with my parents walking, then as a Boy Scout and Army Cadet walking and climbing. More recently as a Scout Leader and Parent with my own Children.

Now as a Diabetic, I do not have the energy to walk long distances but I can ride. I continue to visit the Peak District and regularly ride Chapel Gate. To close this lane to me would significantly curtail my enjoyment and take away my right to ride what is a Public Right of way and as such is a ROAD.

My Motorcycle does no real damage to the lane. I stick to the path without deviating, and I observe the voluntary one way request. My Motorcycle does not make excessive noise, it is taxed and fully insured. I ride at moderate speed in accordance with the TRF code ( to whit I am a member and Chairman of the Cambridgeshire Group) I respect other user’s rights and give way according to proper conduct without complaint. I do not leave litter or carve up private land. I ride with a map or am guided normally by a local.

As a responsible user of the Green Lanes I insure that those riding with me follow the same code as me and will report those that abuse it. I am fully aware that there are those that abuse the lanes not all of which are on Motorcycles.

Over the years I have spent a lot of Tourist Pounds in the Peak District and contribute to the overall economy of the region. The main amenity open to visitors to the Area are the lanes and to restrict them would be detrimental to that economy. Walkers bring extra cars to the area, trample “off Piste” and bring many other problems. I am sure people bring there horses but I suspect the majority of Horse Users are local. The main objectors are the locals and I am sure if they win with Motorised vehicles they will start on you to restrict parking for walkers from outside the area.

I think to have a limited objection time of the 6 months out of the 18 experimental period is also a cynical attempt to “rig” the results before the experiment is over and as such should be reviewed.

Yours Sincerely

Mike Irving

I dont know if Mike Rhodes took time to reply or it was a stock answer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:35 pm 
400 cc

Thanks Mike, well put.

Just for the sake of clarity however, I should point out again that as ridiculous as it is, the requirement to object to an eighteen month experimental TRO before it has run for a third of it's time is not something that the PDNPA have made up to frustrate our efforts.

It is actually the way that the legislation is written.

Like I said, ridiculous but there you go.

Regards

Richard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:37 pm 
400 cc

Mike...... FYI I got exactly the same answer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:38 pm 
650 cc Monster

spitfire wrote:
Mike...... FYI I got exactly the same answer.

then there was me thinking i was special :( :( :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:55 pm 
400 cc

To be fair if he's getting lots of objections he's not likely to issue individual replys but he will still have to read them all and take them into account when making a decission.

What matters is that the people who are being threatened by this closure speak out against it. If this is adopted permanently it will be unbelievable and intolerable abuse of their powers. This kind of closure is not managment it's criminalisation!

There are real problems in the Peak District and we need to be realistic about this. Some sort of traffic managment on some of these routes is probably inevitable and in some cases may even be desirable.

What really annoys me about this supposed experiment though is that instead of trialing something genuinely imaginative or inovative they've opted to blunder straight in with the blanket ban. It could hardly be more unreasonable could it?

Personaly I think they should be using the remaining year to test some fairer options. Unfortunately it looks increasingly as though they are just copying the discredited and immoral policy developed by the Yorkshire Dales National Park.

This is a great shame because in the past the Peak Park Authority did seem to be a bit more reasonable on this matter but there you go, we are where we are I suppose.

Regards

Richard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:19 pm 
650 cc Monster

What it does highlight though is all he really is noting is the objection not the contents of the letter.

Which makes it a very simple three line letter which can be knocked off in no time flat. Furthermore you can easily get members of your family and friends to wiz a quickie off the wrist.

E.G.

Dear Mr Rhodes

Ref. Objection to experimental order prohibiting use by mechanically propelled vehicles along Chapel Gate

I would like to register my objection to the above experimental Traffic Order because.....................................

Yours sincerely

A N Other.

How hard can it be.

Each member of the forum ( 7000+) plus 2 relatives/friends = 21000 objections.......i bet that is more Objections than those done in the last year for all situations.

come on you guys "hands off your cocks and grab your socks" as they used to say in the Army - ( cadets in my case) :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:19 pm 
300 cc

I got the same reply, credit to Mr Rhodes he responded in a timely manner.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:40 pm 
200 cc

Done and sent. You have to be in it to win it! :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:55 pm 

I've put this on the front page of the website with a link to the forum.

Right, time to draft an email...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:51 am 
125cc

done

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next