TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: HELP SNAPPED BOLT ON KTM400!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:39 pm 
200 cc

KTMNICK wrote:
No luck ppl neither the trend or left hand drill bit worked, now made this 10 times worse and to top it off there's a tiny drill bit snapped and stuck inside!!! I'm going to have to take this to a pro!! Anyone recommend anyone in south yorkshire to look at this for me??
:x :cry: :roll:

Trade it in for a new one. That's what I do when bikes start wanting anything else but riding doing to them. I have the skill to repair anything, but i don't have the time or the inclanation.
If something like that happens to me I get mad, pick up the phone and order a new bike.

Sorry it's not a more helpful post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:41 pm 
200 cc

Hi Nick, give Stjohn a call at Techmoto Abbeydale road in Sheffield. Very helpfull guy and wont sting you. His number is 0114 2581151. Also does mitas tyres if your ready for any. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:25 am 
80 cc

Gooders wrote:
Hi Nick, give Stjohn a call at Techmoto Abbeydale road in Sheffield. Very helpfull guy and wont sting you. His number is 0114 2581151. Also does mitas tyres if your ready for any. ;)

Thanks Gooders

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:12 am 
80 cc

KTMNICK wrote:
Gooders wrote:

Thanks Gooders

Given the Guys here a call and they couldnt help :( Really dont know what to do with this one, maybe selling the bike is my only option as im really struggling to get this looked at :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:40 am 
200 cc

Got a more helpful post than my last here for you !

Sothall garage in Sheffield do engineering, cars and jet ski's mainly, but it occured to me that they may be able to help. ( I have had them do work for me before).

I have given them a call and they confirm they may be able to do this for you.

Contact Alan on 0114 2484677 and explain your problem.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:07 pm 
80 cc

Mudfreak wrote:
Got a more helpful post than my last here for you !

Sothall garage in Sheffield do engineering, cars and jet ski's mainly, but it occured to me that they may be able to help. ( I have had them do work for me before).

I have given them a call and they confirm they may be able to do this for you.

Contact Alan on 0114 2484677 and explain your problem.

Thanks I will give them a call :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:12 pm 
80 cc

Hi all, managed to get this resolved, butchered the bolt with a few cobalt drill bits then re-threaded it.
Not the best job in the world but looks no different and cant see why it wouldnt hold out as long as the threads are looked after!

My ride out tomorrow will test it!!

Thanks for all the help :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:36 pm 
300 cc

Had exactly the same thing on my 525... looking back I realised that over the 5.5 years I've had it, I've changed the oil after every wet (water crossings) trail ride and every enduro... and otherwise after every 2-3 long trail rides (200mile +)..so about twice a month for 5 years.. and changed the filters every other oil change..so that's means the oil filter bolts have been on and off well over 130 times.... :shock: and they are light weight bolts...

However the top filter cover bolt heads twised off when undoing them...

The first one I just drilled into and it came out on the easyout bit when I put it in reverse ...

The second one :oops: ..well I snapped the drill bit and left about 6mm of drillbit inside the bolt making it impossible to drill again or get an easy out into it...

Engine out of the bike and down to the local engineering shop..they put it on a milling machine with a very hard bit in to clear out the broken bolt with broken drill inside and then helicoiled it..

Took 40 mins to take the engine out.. and £55 for the machining and helicoil..

I now use stronger bolts with spring washers and intend changing them every year just in case... ;)

P.S. When the drill bit snapped as I was pushing down it jumped into the oil filter chamber and chipped the edge where the filter cover "O" ring seals and I had a slight weep of oil...

I used metal putty to fix it then ground/polished it down flush when set.

If you drill it out leave the filter cover on and drill through the bolt hole.. keep the swarf out of the filter housing.. and protects it if you slip when/if the drill snaps :roll:

I left the old filter in place when I did mine but there is a surprising amount of hard metal swarf that you don't want to fall down into the oil system ;)

The paitient is sedated and the evil doctor operates...
The first one seemed easy... :roll: But note swarf...
The twisted off head and lost bolt end on the end of the easyout

2005 KTM 525MXC (34,000 miles so far)
2005 KTM 250EXC (11,500 miles so far)
BMW R100 awaiting time to convert to 1980's HPN GS PD Replica.
All useful parts wanted ;)
Need :USD DRZ E front end complete & GS petrol tank.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:53 pm 
80 cc

ANDY.T wrote:
Had exactly the same thing on my 525... looking back I realised that over the 5.5 years I've had it, I've changed the oil after every wet (water crossings) trail ride and every enduro... and otherwise after every 2-3 long trail rides (200mile +)..so about twice a month for 5 years.. and changed the filters every other oil change..so that's means the oil filter bolts have been on and off well over 130 times.... :shock: and they are light weight bolts...

However the top filter cover bolt heads twised off when undoing them...

The first one I just drilled into and it came out on the easyout bit when I put it in reverse ...

The second one :oops: ..well I snapped the drill bit and left about 6mm of drillbit inside the bolt making it impossible to drill again or get an easy out into it...

Engine out of the bike and down to the local engineering shop..they put it on a milling machine with a very hard bit in to clear out the broken bolt with broken drill inside and then helicoiled it..

Took 40 mins to take the engine out.. and £55 for the machining and helicoil..

I now use stronger bolts with spring washers and intend changing them every year just in case... ;)

P.S. When the drill bit snapped as I was pushing down it jumped into the oil filter chamber and chipped the edge where the filter cover "O" ring seals and I had a slight weep of oil...

I used metal putty to fix it then ground/polished it down flush when set.

If you drill it out leave the filter cover on and drill through the bolt hole.. keep the swarf out of the filter housing.. and protects it if you slip when/if the drill snaps :roll:

I left the old filter in place when I did mine but there is a surprising amount of hard metal swarf that you don't want to fall down into the oil system ;)

The paitient is sedated and the evil doctor operates...
The first one seemed easy... :roll: But note swarf...
The twisted off head and lost bolt end on the end of the easyout

Nice to see its not just me who has had the same problem :D
Guess I was lucky not to have to drop the engine!! :roll:
Thanks for the post reply..... :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3