TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Honda XR400SM
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:05 pm 
200 cc

Having owned my XR for a fair few years now, when a friend of a friend was ready to sell some 17" wheels for the XR, I jumped at the chance. I saw this as an opportunity to be able to prolong the useful life of what was my enduro & greenlaning bike into a fun road bike as well.
When I get round to it I will find a way to post some photos on this page.

In the meantime if anyone has any questions about the XR400 I would be only too glad to help to answer them if I can.

Post subject: Re: Honda XR400SM
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:56 pm 
80 cc

Tim - remember to check that you have enough clearance between rear tyre and chain and that you use a different speedo drive...................... both problems which had to be overcome when doing the same with a drz. :geek:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:54 pm 
200 cc

Luckily these SM wheels that I bought for such a good price were Talon hubbed & so fitted perfectly. Accordingly the OEM speedo drive works nicely. Also, the worn out tyres that were on the rims were the correct size, the rear being a 150 that was the size recommended. Unfortunately, as has happened to a friend who SM'd his DRZ-S, the fitting of a 160 section rear seriously interferes with the chain. As I am not in the mindset that bigger has to be better, I have found that the 150 has more than sufficient rubber to keep the footrests from getting anywhere near the ground.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:09 pm 
80 cc

ok; sounds like you have had an easier time of the conversion than I did .............. if your friend needs to fabricate a device to keep chain off the tyre, let me know and I can show what I made.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:04 pm 
200 cc

Thanks for that offer....wi not (WiNot) put the modification on here anyway....I know a few people who own DRZs that have removed the OEM chainguard but that may prefer to have something to stop the mud from the tyre being flung onto the chain.This is something that I have seen from colleagues who have removed the OEM chainguard from their KTMs but then regretted as soon as their chains wear abnormally from so much corrosion.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:44 pm 
80 cc

hi, I have an xr400 and loving it to bits.
Some questions though.
How do you change the bike from enduro to supermoto?? Ok so change tyres and I presume brakes (if so how and what??), but what about suspension? Gearing?
I only ask as I am seriously considering getting rid of the road bike and just having the xr.
I love the corners, so whats an xr like in SM trim....please feel free to indulge in stories, this is a bike forum so we all have a common passion, plus I love reading others stories.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:55 pm 

OI! MSB - read your PMs!!! :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:45 pm 
125cc

Get the pics up Tim! :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:51 pm 
200 cc

Dirtlover2005 wrote:
Get the pics up Tim! :)

Yep...have now found the photo album with the relevant inside....

& XR in 'supertanker' mode...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:13 pm 
200 cc

msb wrote:
hi, I have an xr400 and loving it to bits.
Some questions though.
How do you change the bike from enduro to supermoto?? Ok so change tyres and I presume brakes (if so how and what??), but what about suspension? Gearing?
I only ask as I am seriously considering getting rid of the road bike and just having the xr.
I love the corners, so whats an xr like in SM trim....please feel free to indulge in stories, this is a bike forum so we all have a common passion, plus I love reading others stories.

If you can find a copy of TBM number 71 July 2001 there is a good article in there about SMing a Honda XR400. TBM issue 61 of Sept 2000 has a good article about a Honda XR650SM.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next