TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: death of a stalwart
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:31 pm 
300 cc

it is with great sorrow i bring the news of Brian Thompsons death.I had known Brian for 25 years and while we did not always agree i had nothing but the highest regard for his intentions and actions ,he always had the TRF in mind when carrying out ROW work and was a tireless worker.We have lost a great character,a passionate advocate for the TRF and i have lost a man i could call a friend

Leo Crone

Post subject: Re: death of a stalwart
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:28 am 
400 cc

Leo, I would like to second that.

Living down south I didn't really get to meet Brian until recently and then only at Exec or RoW meetings but it was clear that he was a passionate and determined campaigner for the TRF.

Always outspoken he was definitely the kind of man who said what he though even when he knew that it wouldn't be popular but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

With Brians passing the TRF have not only lost a real character but also a formidable RoW campaigner. I'm afraid that we may well be a weaker organisation as a result and I'm sure that his contribution will be sadly missed on many levels.

Richard Sugden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:18 am 
650 cc Monster

I'm trying to put together an obit for him.

This is what I've got so far

RIP Brian Thompson: the man who saved trail riding

Long-standing TRF rights of way stalwart Brian Thompson, has passed away peacefully.

A founder member of the organisation in 1970, Brian Thompson was National Rights of Way Officer for the Trail Riders Fellowship for 14 years, and was held by many to be responsible for saving trail riding from possible extinction during the passage of the Wildlife and Countryside Act in 1979. It was thanks in no small part to Brian’s hard work that the Act created the Byway Open To All Traffic, the routes which form the backbone of our trail riding heritage to this day. During this period, he also successfully claimed byway status for many famous and historic routes, including Stile End Pass, Breast High Pass and Gatesgarth Pass in the Lake District.

Brian went on to use the expertise he had accumulated to win a senior post in the Rights of Way department with Northumbria County Council. In his 14 years there he opened up 500 miles of public rights of way, and arranged the construction of 50 bridges.

In 1985, thanks to the Churchill Trust, Brian was sent on a fact-finding tour of the USA looking at the trail riding facilities that President Nixon had established by ordering the individual states to set up dedicated areas open to off-road vehicles. Sadly his report to Parliament on how we might make similar provision in this country came to nothing.

Brian remained a tireless worker for the TRF bringing considerable rigor and experience to his work as regional rights of way advisor for the north of England.

If you know any more or I've got any of this wrong, please post accordingly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:23 pm 
80 cc

As a Northumbria member I Know what this man did to help everyone but particularly us up North. He will be sorely missed.
Below is the email informing Northumbria members of his death sent by our Chairman, Tony Whitehead. I hope you don’t mind me including it Tony but it sums up Brian’s life much better than I ever could.

Ian Hastie

Dear all,

I have been informed today that Brian Thompson, one of the founder members of the TRF passed away yesterday.

Brian was our Northern Rights of Way contractor and a member of our group, although he had not attended a group meeting for a few years. For those of you who did not know Brian, the was a “traditional” sort of bloke who thought KTM’s and full face helmets were not the sort of image the TRF should have, riding a modern scooter on byways up until last year, or maybe even into this year.

Brian was one of the main people in the TRF for saving so many lanes across the country from as far north as our area, over into Cumbria and down into the Derbyshire peak district. He probably forgot more about rights of way than all of us put together will ever know. Brian was once in the police and when he retired he used his work with the TRF to become a rights of way officer with Northumberland County Council (now would it not be good if Brian were still there?). If you pull out some of your old Trail magazines, including last months, you will find the ramblings of Brian and tales of what used to be able to be ridden.

This is a big loss to the TRF and more so to the Northern TRF groups. Brian’s funeral is on Friday at 1pm Friday 4th, West Road Crematorium, Newcastle Upon Tyne (no flowers - donations to MacMillan Nurses). If you can’t be there, just reflect at 1pm on what a dedicated guy we have lost.

Tony Whitehead

Chairman and Rights of Way Officer

Northumbria Trail Riders Fellowship

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:08 pm 
300 cc

although i didnt know brian, and having only recently joined the northumbria trf i feel that in some way i must thank him for keeping so many lanes open for the rest of us to enjoy.

it also feels fitting that we should continue the fight to keep the lanes open in his memory.

R.I.P friend

paul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:38 pm 
300 cc

Very sad news, He is going to be greatly missed.

Rest in peace Brian, it was nice to know you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:42 am 
400 cc

Terrible news.

Brian was instrumental in getting the new East Yorks group set up earlier this year and was a great help to all of us. He was without doubt the TRF's most effective individual weapon against route closures in the north of England and for this, as well as his passion and enthusiasm for all things trail riding, he will be sadly missed.

I would like to suggest that when the time is right we should mark his passing with a memorial ride or event of some sort. I hope that the East Yorks region will do the same (as may other regions) locally.

It was a pleasure to have met Brian and extremely saddening that he has gone. I just know that right now he will be working on re-opening a few historic routes in and around heaven!

Rest in peace Brian.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:06 am 
125cc

Brian has been our RoW officer for the last 3 or 4 years, the knowledge, help and experience he has given to our Group at a time when we had 6 people at our AGM and not many more members cannot be understated.

Thanks to Brian and a few hard workers in the Group our membership has grown to 70+.

We will miss Brian greatly, he has done so much for trail riding in the North and trail riding in general, I don't think we will ever see anyone like him again.

I hope the RoW network where he's gone is a bit less complicated than the one he's left behind.

He will leave a massive hole in our Group.

RIP Brian

Richard Hirst
Vice Chairman West Yorks TRF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:20 am 
300 cc

On behalf of the Peak District TRF Group we wish to express our sadness at the news of Brian Thompsons death and offer our condolences to his family and friends. We acknowledge and our grateful for Brians invaluable contribution to rights of way research including his work in Derbyshire and the Peaks. His resourcefulness, hard work and individual approach in fighting for our rights will be a great loss to us all.

Steve Cartwright (Chairman)

Peter Allt (Secretary)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:57 pm 
80 cc

I met the man once, when I was invited to give an input at one of the RoW workshops. He immediately struck me as a real 'blokes bloke'. The instant impression was a man of real character. I was also struck by his knowledge and enquiring mind.

I aspire to have the courage and knowledge of this man. He has been instrumental in allowing me to continue trail riding in the UK.

I for one am working hard trying to increase my own knowledge and will probably never achieve the level that Brian had on all rights of way.

And for those of you who did not know him, then you have missed a real character. He stood up for all of us and it is a credit to him that trail riding still exists as it does in the North.

I am tremendously sad for his passing.

My thoughts go to his family and loved ones.

If the local TRF groups decide to organise a ride out or event in his honour I would be happy and proud to take part.

A great man and mind.

God Bless.

Stewart Bosworth
West Midlands TRF

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next