TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: green lanes around east yorkshire south cave market weighto
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:26 pm 
50 cc

hi im new to green laning and was wondering if someone could give me some info example how can you search for green lanes how are they displayed on maps etc any information would be grately appreciated

Post subject: Re: green lanes around east yorkshire south cave market weighto
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:04 am 
80 cc

Have you found a website called trailwise, google it and see what it comes up with! You need to zoom in on the map and then click on search. You only get limited coverage until you can get a login but it is a start.

I found it last night and just homed into my local area and clicked search for local trails.

Hope this helps you as i am in a similiar situation. I am going to get along to the local TRF meeting this month. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:41 am 

Finding trails on maps is a bit hit-and-miss, but the first thing to do is to invest in a decent set of Ordnance Survey 50k scale maps for the area in which you want to ride. You can buy these on line for a decent price. Don't buy the 25k maps: it will cost too much, they are too much hassle to handle when out and about and you will be paying for detail that you don't really need.

You should be able to ride Byways (marked as red + + + on OS 50k maps) and ORPAS (marked as red . . . on OS 50k maps), but there are other lanes that you should be able to ride as well which are unclear in terms of status on the map. If you don't do proper research, you run the risk of either missing some good trails (at best) or getting into legal difficulties (at worst).

Other suggestions:
1) Use the Trailwise website
2) Join the TRF and get advice from local members, as well as enhanced access to the Trailwise website
3) Go down to the council offices and spend days examining the definitive maps and the lists of streets.

Having done some investigation about the definitive maps (Suffolk has 420, typically A0 sized, so I would need 52 days to look at them all, spending 1 hour each), I can recommend the cost effectiveness of option 2.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:39 am 
400 cc

Hello Shep and welcome to the TRF.

Your local region meets every second Tuesday of the month at 8pm in the Bay Horse Market Weighton. We're a very friendly bunch who are always looking for new members. Get yourself along to the meeting and chat with the members - all will become clear! ;)

Next meeting is Tuesday 14th.

See you there.

Mag

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:59 pm 
300 cc

Shep if you want to speed things up in terms of access to the club maps you could join the main TRF online now. That way if you bring your membership card with you to our group meeting, details of which as Mag has provided, you can join EY for £8 for full access to the group activities. See you there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:52 pm 
80 cc

womble wrote:
You should be able to ride Byways (marked as red + + + on OS 50k maps) and ORPAS (marked as red . . . on OS 50k maps), but there are other lanes that you should be able to ride as well which are unclear in terms of status on the map. If you don't do proper research, you run the risk of either missing some good trails (at best) or getting into legal difficulties (at worst).

Other suggestions:
1) Use the Trailwise website
2) Join the TRF and get advice from local members, as well as enhanced access to the Trailwise website
3) Go down to the council offices and spend days examining the definitive maps and the lists of streets.

Not all ORPA will have rights for MPV - it depends on the history of the highway authority, although I only know of one that has no definitive map, thus publishes all public fp & bw as ORPA. Logically if it wasn't a vehicular highway it would be on the DM&S. Stick to BOATs and roads shown on the List of Streets. Your group RoW Officer will know more.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:10 am 
50 cc

Hi, another newbie here. :P Picked up my drz400e about a month ago, after giving up sports bikes (geting a bit silly and would rather keep my licence!! :twisted: ).
I live in market weighton and am also looking to ride some lanes in and around the area. I noticed that it said about the club meeting in the bay horse..... as the members will know, its now closed (the bay horse) so where would the new meeting place be?
anyway any info is greatly appreciated!
;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:46 am 
400 cc

The meetings now take place in The Griffin - 8pm TONIGHT!!!!! Get yourself along.

Cheers
Mag

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:50 pm 
50 cc

dude, that's awesome ..... but i'm working :( .
I'll have to make the next meeting, what time do you guys leave?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:23 pm 
400 cc

Usually a few of us left at about 10.30pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]