TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Should we clear fallen obstacles/debris blocking byways?
Poll ended at Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:09 pm
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Clearing of obstructions on Byways
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:22 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:03 pm
Posts: 4996
Location: East Sussex
If your name is brown you are registered as a full member, if so you can go to the members board and see which boards are available to post in, just mainly group boards but you can see.

_________________
Red


WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Clearing of obstructions on Byways
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:17 pm 
Offline
125cc

Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:24 pm
Posts: 220
Location: East Sussex
jmc wrote:
My understanding is that you can clear any obstruction or overhanging branch etc. with tools you might be seen as reasonably carrying on your person or bike. So a small folding saw or wire cutter. Returning with a chain saw would perhaps be a bit OTT unless of coarse you are in a 4x4 and are trained to you one ;)




Or a quad which has a winch. 8-)

_________________
Doing it on all fours...........Quadzilla cForce520 (Quadzilla 450 R.I.P, taken from me by a Golf GTI)
Doing it slowly, and feet up...........Montesa Cota 315


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Clearing of obstructions on Byways
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:45 pm 
Offline
125cc

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:21 pm
Posts: 196
Remould wrote:
Hello all, for some reason I'm not able to post in the members section yet, so I'll use this one for now.

Where do we stand when it come to moving obstructions that we come across when riding?
I ask this as I came across a tree that had fallen in high winds and blocked most of the byway, forcing people and horses to walk around the obstruction on the verge.

Not thinking, I went back the next day armed with a small saw and cleared the obstruction, cutting the tree into manageable pieces and piled it up where it was once was standing.
It was only after that did I start thinking that I maybe should have left it for the landowner or council to remove.

Is it legal/safe to trim overhanging plants or remove fallen trees and branches from these public byways, or should I notify somebody first?
Comments welcome.

Many thanks,
Steve.



Steve,
Sounds like the TRF needs to snap you up for voluntary lane clearing duties simply coz you just done the giant step of clearing an obstruction
Something that many user groups are reluctant to do....

Very well done, find out how your local authority operate on these matters, offer to help, step by step you'll be able to accomplish many things regarding public routes.
Ian
Devon TRF


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Clearing of obstructions on Byways
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:38 am 
Offline
300 cc

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:41 pm
Posts: 537
wackyracer wrote:


Steve,
Sounds like the TRF needs to snap you up for voluntary lane clearing duties simply coz you just done the giant step of clearing an obstruction
Something that many user groups are reluctant to do....

Very well done, find out how your local authority operate on these matters, offer to help, step by step you'll be able to accomplish many things regarding public routes.
Ian
Devon TRF


Hmmm Agree with above, Herefordshire need to engage more with volunteers but previous experience in BBNP volunteering only to find route TRO'd some months later makes me a little cynical...
Usual rule is if it is hand tools, probably ok but forget anything with an engine 'cos you are not trained or badged to use it in a public place....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Clearing of obstructions on Byways
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:44 am 
Offline
50 cc

Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:17 pm
Posts: 7
Location: Cippenham, Berkshire.
Thanks for the comments chaps. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Clearing of obstructions on Byways
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:50 pm 
Offline
125cc

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:21 pm
Posts: 196
DS650 wrote:
wackyracer wrote:


Steve,
Sounds like the TRF needs to snap you up for voluntary lane clearing duties simply coz you just done the giant step of clearing an obstruction
Something that many user groups are reluctant to do....

Very well done, find out how your local authority operate on these matters, offer to help, step by step you'll be able to accomplish many things regarding public routes.
Ian
Devon TRF


Hmmm Agree with above, Herefordshire need to engage more with volunteers but previous experience in BBNP volunteering only to find route TRO'd some months later makes me a little cynical...
Usual rule is if it is hand tools, probably ok but forget anything with an engine 'cos you are not trained or badged to use it in a public place....


Oh crikey not good at all being TRO'd
I turn things on its head and work on the TRO'd lanes :lol:
You never know ;)

Perhaps you should look at getting trained to operate a petrol lane bashing machine ;) :D
My boss paid for one course and Devon CC paid for my other course now i'm a legal nutter!! :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Clearing of obstructions on Byways
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:11 pm 
Offline
200 cc

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:35 pm
Posts: 412
Location: Somerset
wackyracer wrote:
DS650 wrote:
wackyracer wrote:


Steve,
Sounds like the TRF needs to snap you up for voluntary lane clearing duties simply coz you just done the giant step of clearing an obstruction
Something that many user groups are reluctant to do....

Very well done, find out how your local authority operate on these matters, offer to help, step by step you'll be able to accomplish many things regarding public routes.
Ian
Devon TRF


Hmmm Agree with above, Herefordshire need to engage more with volunteers but previous experience in BBNP volunteering only to find route TRO'd some months later makes me a little cynical...
Usual rule is if it is hand tools, probably ok but forget anything with an engine 'cos you are not trained or badged to use it in a public place....[/q

Oh crikey not good at all being TRO'd
I turn things on its head and work on the TRO'd lanes :lol:
You never know ;)

Perhaps you should look at getting trained to operate a petrol lane bashing machine ;) :D
My boss paid for one course and Devon CC paid for my other course now i'm a legal nutter!! :roll:


Let us not confuse being trained and being insured. I am trained and licenced to use a chainsaw. I am not insured to use one in a public place. Huge difference.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Clearing of obstructions on Byways
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:11 pm 
Offline
80 cc

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:38 pm
Posts: 40
If a TRF member has a recognised chainsaw certificate and wishes to use a chainsaw for lane clearance work, if they contact me I will endeavour to get additional cover from our current insurers

Chris


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!