TRF Forums

It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Should we clear fallen obstacles/debris blocking byways?
Poll ended at Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:09 pm
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0
 Post subject: Clearing of obstructions on Byways
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:09 pm 
50 cc

Hello all, for some reason I'm not able to post in the members section yet, so I'll use this one for now.

Where do we stand when it come to moving obstructions that we come across when riding?
I ask this as I came across a tree that had fallen in high winds and blocked most of the byway, forcing people and horses to walk around the obstruction on the verge.

Not thinking, I went back the next day armed with a small saw and cleared the obstruction, cutting the tree into manageable pieces and piled it up where it was once was standing.
It was only after that did I start thinking that I maybe should have left it for the landowner or council to remove.

Is it legal/safe to trim overhanging plants or remove fallen trees and branches from these public byways, or should I notify somebody first?
Comments welcome.

Many thanks,
Steve.

Post subject: Clearing of obstructions on Byways
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:12 pm 
300 cc

You’ll be waiting a long time for the council so I think you did the right thing. Taking home the wood for yourself would have constituted theft but that didn’t happen. If you had organised a works party then you would have to have ticked all the health and safety boxes etc and it would be too much hassle.

You’ve done the same as I’ve done dozens of times. No different to snipping a few brambles off in my eyes.

No doubt others will disagree with this approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Clearing of obstructions on Byways
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:59 pm 
300 cc

I'm sure one of the Gods will correct me, but I am fairly sure that provided you are on a green road you have the legal right to divert around any obstruction by the nearest available option...but your action was much more user friendly for all users....well done. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:07 pm 
650 cc Monster

smokinrider wrote:
You’ll be waiting a long time for the council so I think you did the right thing. Taking home the wood for yourself would have constituted theft but that didn’t happen. If you had organised a works party then you would have to have ticked all the health and safety boxes etc and it would be too much hassle.

You’ve done the same as I’ve done dozens of times. No different to snipping a few brambles off in my eyes.

No doubt others will disagree with this approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

council can be quite quick at times depending on their workload and priorities but i would agree with this post too. As Ds650 says the Gods might dissagree but at the end of the day you are a member of the public and what you did was in the public spirit and has nothing to do with the Gods. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:27 pm 
80 cc

My understanding is that you can clear any obstruction or overhanging branch etc. with tools you might be seen as reasonably carrying on your person or bike. So a small folding saw or wire cutter. Returning with a chain saw would perhaps be a bit OTT unless of coarse you are in a 4x4 and are trained to you one ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:49 pm 
80 cc

Voting function not working for me:

Attachments:
TRF vote.png
TRF vote.png [ 26.97 KiB | Viewed 21248 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:02 pm 
300 cc

I think you will find the voting facility like the members section is deceased :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:48 pm 

AndyXT wrote:
The poll feature has never worked. Some of the boards in the members section are still available.

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:20 pm 
80 cc

Red wrote:
AndyXT wrote:
The poll feature has never worked. Some of the boards in the members section are still available.

Hi Red,

Could you please confirm which areas in the members section are currently operational ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:40 pm 
50 cc

majesty wrote:
Red wrote:
AndyXT wrote:

Hi Red,

Could you please confirm which areas in the members section are currently operational ?

Sorry, I am new here. Why is the members section not accessible?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next