TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: TomTom .ov2 and .GPX file conversion
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:19 am 
300 cc

I’m wondering if anyone has found a successful way of converting TomTom .ov2 files to .GPX and vice-versa.
My searches on line have found sites that claim to do the conversion, but the saved file won’t open.
The sites that require a program to be downloaded always seem to raise warnings on the security software.
It would be great if someone could point me in the direction of a site or a program they use.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Post subject: Re: TomTom .ov2 and .GPX file conversion
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:51 am 
300 cc

Gps visualiser I think is the site I've used. Sometimes converted files won't open as there are too many way markers. Edit your original version to show less points. That may help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:00 pm 
650 cc Monster

GPS babel https://www.gpsbabel.org/capabilities.html would seem to do a basic file conversion

I would prefer to import into myrouteapp https://www.myrouteapp.com/routelab which allows cloud storage & web based editing all for free. - basically a Viewranger for Black top.

Regards

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:59 pm 
300 cc

Thanks Smokinrider.
I've tried that site but it doesn't seem to recognise ov2 files

Thank also Mario.
I've had a look at that site and it will open an ov2 file and give the coordinates of the POI.

Attachment:
OV2.pdf [27.31 KiB]
Downloaded 604 times

Whilst this could be handy, what I'm after is a conversion from ov2 to gpx.
I'd like to plot waypoints and create a gpx file, then convert it to an ov2 file and put it on my tomtom as a new POI category.
Or of course any method to plot POIs using a laptop and put them on a tomtom as POIs.
I thought converting to gpx might be the most likely, but I'd be very pleased to hear of any other method.

Thanks again

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:08 am 
650 cc Monster

Hi Steve

Am I missing something here?

1. Create your gpx file in your choice of software/platform. (eg memory map /myviewranger/Googlemaps or Satmap expedition)

2. import into the My route app cloud.

3. Export to your TomTom from My route App.

I am sure you have considered this so what am I missing?

In addition I am left wondering;

If you are using Tomtom you will have a tomtom map of "black top" and not unsealed roads - so I am assuming you are using it for sealed roads use unless you are being very clever and have changed the maps for a OS or can cope without the map.

In which case instead of step 1 above why not use the myrouteapp for plotting waypoints and the excellent selection of maps including google.

Here is an example of the power of this (free!) app https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/folder/580172?mode=share. To my mind this shows how a few days riding can easily be created with some detail, shared between multiple users and is device agnostic.

The only reason I can think of not using myroute app for black top road riding is to use the high end TomTom (or Garmin 590 series) curvy roads & height preferences which does an excellent job or route planning for you in seconds. Either way you can still do this on the Satnav and export the itinerary to Myroute App for further twiddling.

I realise we may have left a few behind here so happy to discuss by phone/PM/email

Mario
mario@trf.org.uk
07721 480000

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:51 pm 
300 cc

mario.costasa wrote:
Hi Steve

Am I missing something here?

Hi Mario

Thanks for taking the time to put together your reply.

The way I use my TomTom when I'm leading is a bit unconventional but works really well.
The thing I particularly like about doing it this way is that it is flexible.
I'm not committed to follow the route rigidly. Unlike when following the trail of a gpx file.
I plan a route for the day, but can simply navigate from lane to lane to fuel stop to cafe etc as required.
I also find the TomTom much easier to glance down and follow, rather than a line over the top of an OS Map image.

I give the lanes I use a number for both ends and put it on the paper OS map.
I then create a POI Catagory on the TomTom and add both ends of each lane as a POI. (Also the fuel stops, cafe, toilets etc)

Navigation is then very easy from lane to lane in the usual way. i.e. destination - POI - POI Category xyz - POI 123
You can use the "find" or "POI near you" once you get going.

I have 2 ways of creating these POI's
1. doing a recce and adding a POI at site using the "my location" or
2. adding the POI using the "point on map" facility directly on the TomTom. It is sometimes hard to be accurate, as there aren't too many references, but it's surprising how close it can be by comparing the shape of the road to the OS map. Often the Byways and UCR's show up on the TomTom as a dotted road anyway.

It sound a bit of faff but once it's done - it's done

So what I was getting at, is that it would be really handy to be able to plot each end of the lanes as a waypoint in a gpx file and convert them to an ov2 file and hey presto each waypoint becomes a POI.

I still haven't had any joy..
However I have stumbled across a way to create a route to follow using a Tomtom.
It was a Youtube post by the late Sven Galie.
What he did was create a route as gpx file in the usual way, but only plotting the start of each lane as a waypoint.

It is then possible to convert the gpx file to an ITN file for TomTom. This is an itinerary file.
This file is simply dropped into the ITN folder on the TomTom and becomes available to use via the itinerary option when doing the "navigate to".
It is then possible to use this itinerary file to navigate to the end destination via each lane.
i.e. it's a "normal" TomTom from the end of one lane to the start of the next.
The TomTom asks if you would like to make the last waypoint "the destination".
After accepting the "YES" prompt it navigates in the normal way, but via these waypoints (start of lanes)

Another little bonus I came across was that if the ITN file is opened as a wordpad document, it is possible to change the text in the usual way and name all the lanes to match my numbering scheme on the paper OS map.

Hope that makes sense, it sounds long winded but I get on very well doing it this way.

Steve

PS I have also discovered that not all TomToms have the "manage POI" function. TomTom in their wisdom removed this facility and even deleted it from old devices when users upgraded on MyDrive.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]