TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Recording routes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:16 pm 
50 cc

Hi all. As a new member to trf, please could advise if I can record the ride outs with you. Many thanks Phil.

Post subject: Re: Recording routes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:28 am 
125cc

I'm not aware of any policy on this. Most rides I have been on have no problems with people recording the route for their own use later on. A few would ask you not to record. Everyone has their own reasons for allowing / not allowing recording and I have no wish to argue about this. Best plan is to ask the run leader before the start if they mind.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:58 am 
300 cc

I'm sure no one has any major issue about recording routes, but if you have a gps and map software, you should easily be able to make your own routes.

Some, like me, prefer this so certain lanes don't get over used and lesser used lanes get more attention. Variety being the spice of life and all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:12 am 
650 cc Monster

Thanks Vern (& Smokin) for a perfect and hopefully helpful response to the TRF's general approach to this that has in the distant past generated controversy. Vern is a Senior Herts Roads Conservation officer as well as prolific ride leader (and Smokin has similar experience.)

May I add that I believe it would be helpful to the Run Leader to understand what you were doing with the GPX that you were recording, for instance if it was down a sensitive, weather dependant route or even a permissive route - the run leader may have natural concerns if you were going to broadcast it on the internet without regard to conservation and sustainability.

Can I also mention that at the invitation of Norfolk TRF I was recently asked to attend a recent meeting with the Thetford Forest Rangers over illegal and anti social riding in the forest.

The ranger disclosed that they are requesting/obtaining dashcam evidence and GPS evidence from trail riders and 4WD drivers then using that evidence to prosecute them.

Of course TRF members and run leaders will have no worries about the outcome of any similar investigations.

Mario
TRF Director

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:38 am 
300 cc

A very good and relevant original post.
I remain convinced that the ability to record routes will kill out hobby stone dead. I have no problem with people who are polite and intelligent enough (like Invisible) to ask before recording a route but leaders..ask yourself , when was the last time you asked the question before setting off?
A phone recording in a random riders pocket that then gets posted all over the interweb for all and sundry makes it way too easy for routes to get trashed by irresponsible (over)users of any description.
As I have said before, the ability to read and interpret an OS map should be the best test of a responsible user but technology has let that genie out of the box.
Luddite? Old Fart? Perhaps so ( I wouldnt be without GPS in my current job) but sadly conscious that the people using this forum represent decent, sensible users....and how many people are using this forum now???
I'll stop with the negative vibes now...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:21 am 
400 cc

I would give you the route before we start the ride.
All this secrecy about routes is pathetic in my view.
It's a fellowship and you should be helping people to lead future rideouts.
That's why we campaign to signpost all these lanes up properly, so it's pointless keeping your routes secret.

Hereford Chairman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:37 am 
650 cc Monster

Most routes are in the very public domain of OS mapping.

The problem is when routes get 'branded' and people go and 'do' them every weekend in increasingly large numbers.

The Ridgeway is the classic example of this. In fact, there are a huge number of interesting and attractive lanes in the immediate area of the Wiltshire Ridgeway, but we had the numerous groups of lemmings chasing up and down it every weekend until its inevitable closure.

I'd urge people to go and buy a map, learn to read it and then go and work out their own routes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:04 pm 
650 cc Monster

Not a luddite. Just sensible and not relying on unnecessary technology.

Read a map (with reference to the County Council list of TRO's etc as the map will be waaaay out of date) and learn where to go.
I managed just fine and you quickly learn where you are going. Following GPS will almost certainly mean you won't actually know where you are as it's a bit like the difference of driving somewhere yourself and remembering the route and being a passenger and not noticing critical points. Not a lot of use if the battery goes pop.

We have so few lanes down here that we would soon get bored if we went ouk week after week but it is surprising how different members have different routes and how it rings the changes nicely.

That said, as long as you ask, I can see no reason why you can't record your route when it's all on public 'roads'.
A bit different when on permissive routes though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:54 pm 
300 cc

GrayHTRF wrote:
I would give you the route before we start the ride.
All this secrecy about routes is pathetic in my view.
It's a fellowship and you should be helping people to lead future rideouts.
That's why we campaign to signpost all these lanes up properly, so it's pointless keeping your routes secret.

El Presidente,
1. Secrecy -not really but protective yes 'cos I know that the LA will use any excuse to stop up a route and encouraging open access for all I fear would be counter productive 'cos everybody wants to use them but only we will fight for them....
2. Agree fellowship and always encourage leaders. See JRR Tolkien.
3. LA signage is woeful esp for routes on LOS/ORPAS and fully agree with the need to campaign but falls foul of Herefordshire 'prioritising' and does lead to arguments on routes. Next month I'm starting to 'prioritise' my council tax!!

I remain, as always, your worthless minion,
DS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:40 pm 
650 cc Monster

In my new rural Cornish home, I have a neighbour who is an enthusiastic clearer of the local footpaths.

He asked the council if they could supply some new waymakers to replace those that have become very faded.

Their response was that the only signs they would currently supply were the 'clear up after your dogs' ones...which really aren't that appropriate for the rural environment but no doubt tick a box for someone's 'key performance indicators'.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next