TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Damn these Eyes
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:22 pm 
80 cc

The discussion on recommended GPS units has prompted a question......
I am getting on a bit and whilst my distance vision remains very good, anything closer than 3 feet away and smaller than a tic tac is just a blur these days.
Basicly I have to use reading glasses to resolve the map on a GPS screen (I have a Montana), which means I cant read it whilst moving, I have to stop, get me bins out...blah blah
Anyone got any tips?, I have considered sticking some of those stick on lenses they sell to put in diving goggles in y riding goggles, but not sure if they would make me go all wobbly when I look down and crash!!!

Damn these Eyes!!!!!

anyway, any advice appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Damn these Eyes
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:57 pm 
650 cc Monster

I mark up my maps and enlarge them so I can read them without glasses.
Never used GPS for trail riding but I would have the same problem you have. Convert a flip down visor into reading glasses? Maybe I could make my millions with that idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:18 pm 
80 cc

me too
my vision has started to let me know how old I'm getting, my body too, I like the flip down visor idea though that could really work

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:22 am 
200 cc

I only need glasses for reading so now use bifocal safety glasses to ride. Cheap enough off eBay and work perfectly. I was really struggling until a friend told me about them :geek:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:06 am 
80 cc

Cheers both, a couple of good ideas there.
Never knew about the safety glasses.

Post subject: Damn these Eyes
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:35 am 
300 cc

Know a few who use these.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:49 am 
125cc

Also Voltx safety glasses. Bifocal, clear around £10, tinted £13 both from Amazon. I don't find the end of the arms helmet friendly so I snip off the last inch or so. Still secure inside a helmet.Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:28 pm 
200 cc

These are the ones I went for. The straight arms go in no bother on a helmet.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELVEX-BI-FOCA ... gyXZkEKXLA
My experience with phones of getting larger and larger screens had shown that even riding around with a laptop on my handle bars would not solve the problem.
The same with a full size map, no F*****g use whatsoever without glasses and to be honest they now belong in museums :o
I don’t even notice I am wearing them other than I can clearly see the small screen on my etrex legend for the first time in about 5 years. So a big thank you to Sean from East Mids who mentioned them to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:42 am 
80 cc

Just got some Bolle glasses from the bay...what a great idea, havn't been out with them but a quick walk around the Garden whilst glancing down at my phone screen has proved they work as intended...nice clear view ahead and just enough of a magnified section at the bottom to read the close up stuff.

Thanks for the pointers chaps...sorted

(and might I suggest just one small example of the sort of thing the wide knowledge and experience shared on a uk wide forum can be helpful for, as opposed to a small closed fbook group with just a few members.
Plus of course the infomation/advice given remains easily searchable in the future, something fbook just doesn't do)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:53 pm 
80 cc

Quote:
Just got some Bolle glasses from the bay...what a great idea, havn't been out with them but a quick walk around the Garden whilst glancing down at my phone screen has proved they work as intended...nice clear view ahead and just enough of a magnified section at the bottom to read the close up stuff.

Thanks for the pointers chaps...sorted

(and might I suggest just one small example of the sort of thing the wide knowledge and experience shared on a uk wide forum can be helpful for, as opposed to a small closed fbook group with just a few members.
Plus of course the infomation/advice given remains easily searchable in the future
, something fbook just doesn't do)

Well said
:)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next