TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: '14 690 enduro throttle response horrible
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:55 pm 
650 cc Monster

Well, my first proper outing on the 690 other than my local lanes was on the rocky entertainment around Machynlleth and Barmouth on Saturday and a more relaxed day in the borders towards Clun and Craven Arms from Churchstoke. This is the third visit so I knew what to expect and was able to compare it with my other trips there.

Awesome riding with a great bunch of mates but lacking in technical skill and bravery plus excess age means some of it was less than elegant on my part. Despite the weight of the 690, apart from lifting it back up a couple of times, I coped with it pretty well even though I accept a 250 would be so much lighter. I am trying to stay with one bike now and the welsh conditions are the exception, not the norm for me.

Some of it could be much better if it wasn't for the absolutely awful throttle response from shut to getting going. Nothing happens for the first lot of wrist movement and I kept stalling it (as I even have done on the road pulling away from a junction - I never had this problem with my 400 EXC or any other bike, for that matter). I have enough problems riding the technical stuff without keeping stalling the bike.

I have set the under-seat dial to Advanced and there seemed to be a slight (psychological?) improvement but that fluffy start makes low speed control hellishly difficult.

I have seen there have been posts about this all over tinternet but most are a little old now so there may be some new options.

The bike has an Akra but presume any remapping has been done by the previous owners and it seems that wouldn't be the cause of this problem anyway.

I don't want a quick action throttle as I'm not sure it would suit trail riding as it would become snatchy and there would be a loss of control but also I'm not sure it would actually help that initial horrid bit. Nor do I want a Rekluse both on cost grounds but also I don't think it would help the underlying problem.

All helpful and relevant suggestions gratefully received.

Post subject: Re: '14 690 enduro throttle response horrible
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:08 pm 
650 cc Monster

i don't have any problem with my throttle David. rarely if ever stall it unless i do something stupid. Mine is the twin spark and with ( i think ) a fly by wire throttle (tony will correct me). i believe the throttle problem was a feature of the model before mine.

also when it was brand new Mark Kinnard set the thingy under the seat to what i believe is "dead timid" and never felt the need to change.

i have to say that my bike has been brilliant on all terrain and the problems been more about my fitness ( and lack of use/maintenance than the bike. it is heavy though if you have to pick it up. will be changing it later this year. probably for a beta 300 X trainer.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:11 pm 
650 cc Monster

Thanks Mike

Setting it to stupid is supposed to make the throttle more responsive.
It's that first movement from shut where absolutely nothing happens for too much rotation.

Power Commander 5 might be an answer - they are calling me to discuss tomorrow.

My 50 year old Triumph is better than the 690 :(

Ask Paul Benjamin (Paul13) about the Beta first - he has had a lot of problems with his.
It will be lighter though but I did pick mine up on my own so was quite impressed with myself.

I love the bike otherwise but this issue is really spoiling it as it makes nadgery lanes a swear box filler and I have little enough talent as it is.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:15 pm 

Streets have a snatchy thottle problem and taking out all the slack in teh cable works, but if yours if fly by wire and all teh moving bits are adjusted correctly then its down to electronics, but you will learn to adapt, but maybe not enough?

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:29 pm 
650 cc Monster

The ABR guys have suggested the TPS reset so I will try that tomorrow.
I can overcome it ok on the road but it's ruining things on tricky lanes.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:18 pm 
650 cc Monster

Change the gearing - 15/48
Adjust the chain - too much slack in a long chain makes for yukky pick up
Make sure tyres aren't over inflated.
Check cush drive rubbers and wheel bearings.
Set the sag up.
Soften the suspension off.
Set the mapping to standard.

Give it a good thrashing - if you've been riding it like a sissy the engine is likely to get clogged. A good hooning will help things breathe more easily.

Do the above before spending money on it or faffing about with FI.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:23 pm 
650 cc Monster

jonpaul1st wrote:
Change the gearing - 15/48. **I would want to try it first - what difference does it make, beyond the obvious?
Adjust the chain - too much slack in a long chain makes for yukky pick up **already done and double checked last week.
Make sure tyres aren't over inflated. **15psi - it is my road bike as well as for trail riding.
Check cush drive rubbers and wheel bearings.**not checked cush drive - wheel bearings are fine.
Set the sag up. ** was way too stiff to the point of unrideable but Freestyle adjusted last week. Previous owner was the guilty party.
Soften the suspension off.** All set on comfort mode
Set the mapping to standard. ** tried on all three settings and no change

Give it a good thrashing - if you've been riding it like a sissy the engine is likely to get clogged. A good hooning will help things breathe more easily. **it might be sissied on iffy stuff- I can't be a riding god - but it gets well thrashed elsewhere.

Do the above before spending money on it or faffing about with FI.

Thanks for the suggestions but.....
The gearing is not the issue, I am convinced it is a throttle problem as all changes so far have made no difference. There is a fluff on initial take up that needs excessive throttle movement to overcome and that can't be right. I've been riding for 45 years so have a bit of an idea what it should feel like and it's not like this.

I am just exploring all bases at the moment and will then make a judgement from there.
Handy info. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:29 pm 
650 cc Monster

Have you disabled the restriction in first/second gear?

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:54 pm 
650 cc Monster

jonpaul1st wrote:
Have you disabled the restriction in first/second gear?

what restriction

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:04 am 
650 cc Monster

Lower gearing helps a lot with the trickier stuff. You can roll on and off the throttle in situations where you'd othrwise need to dip the clutch.

The earlier 690's have a restriction which reduces power in the lower gears. Lots on the net about it. Don't know if this applies to later bikes.

Suspension - try taking off the compression more than comfort settings. Again, this makes a big difference on the tricky stuff, especially rocky going.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next