TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Another newbie looking for advice
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:14 pm 
50 cc

Hello All,

A few years ago I took and passed my CBT, but did nothing with it as I had a Suzuki Jimny to get my off tarmac fix. However I have had to change to a 'proper' car due to having to lug around more than a backpack worth of luggage.

Hence the idea of re-doing my CBT and actually using it this time. Surprisingly I have had approval from the boss for this idea. :o

And so onto the advice needed. I would like a dual use bike to get some road practice before doing mod 1&2 in a year or 2, and would prefer a 4stoke because of the linear power delivery. Green lanes round here are not extreme but can get tricky on occasions.

so comments on the following please.

Honda XR125L - probably my preferred option but getting like hens teeth now.
Derbi terra adventure - A bit expensive and not sure how they handle the tracks.
Yamaha WR125R - Again expensive and tall.
Brand new Sinnis Pulse - No MOT worries and a 2 year warranty, but possibly a bit tall.

Before this turns into a 'Chinese bikes are shit' flame thread, we all know that Chinese bikes from 15-20 years ago were 'spare parts held together with mild steel that rusts through in the mist', but both MCN and British Dealer News magazine have acknowledged they have 'improved to very near Japanese quality' in recent years.

So ignoring that issue, any opinions or other suggestions?

Also on the tyre front, what are peoples recommendations. I've read the pirelli's being bandied about as good on the dirt, but what about the road?

Many thanks for your help
Jon

Post subject: Re: Another newbie looking for advice
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:38 pm 
80 cc

I would look for a tidy DT125R if you can find a good one. They are super reliable and very capable on the dirt, especially if in de-restricted form. The added benefit is if you find a good one and keep it tidy the value will probably go up plus they are much more fun than a 4 stroke.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:13 pm 
200 cc

i would also try and find a dt125

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:26 pm 
650 cc Monster

The Derbi is a good bike, but the factory is closed and spares can be a problem. However, other European 4T 125 are available, and are well worth seeking out

Gas Gas Halley 125, Fantic Caballero 125, AJP 125.

I went trail riding in a party of old guys like me, all on Japanese/European 250 - 400 bikes: a mix of trail bikes and enduros.

One of the guys brought his son along on an AJP 125: it more than kept up with all the other bikes on the trail, it just skipped over the obstacles and left very little trace of its passing. Quiet, too. He ended up herding us along like a sheep dog.

When you pass your test, you can get an upgrade kit, to 150 or 175 cc.

I think they all use pretty much the same engine: it's made in Taiwan (and bear in mind that most BMW motorcycle engines are now made in Taiwan, so that's a good thing) and is based on an air-cooled Japanese engine (Honda, I think).

On a bike like that, I'd go for these tyres

http://www.veerubber.co.uk/off-road/vrm211-enduro/

Grippy and very easy to fit with good road manners.

Not so good on heavy, powerful bikes though, as they are so soft.

They came as standard on a bike I bought new: I thought they would be dangerous rubbish, but the truth is that they are fantastic. I've replaced 'like-for-like' ever since.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:31 pm 
650 cc Monster

Have a look at this (nothing to do with me), but an example of what you can find:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/ajp-motorbike ... 1239035878

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]