TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What makes an endure bike road legal for greenlaning
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:28 am 
50 cc

Hello TRF,

I wonder if someone can clarify what makes a endure bike road legal please. I have just bought my first enduro bike CRF250X and about to join Devon TRF and was told the was bike road legal. I am sure this question has bene asked countless times to you all but bear with me. The research i have done and what I am being told is a little confusing.
My CRF205X has no odometer only a small trail tech device which shows the time, the hours and the rpm. no speedometer. it has no brake light ( only a static tail light), and no horn. it is road registered and i have a reg plate. the dealer who sold me the bike says to is road legal. I have been told by another dealer the bike has to have a horn, brake light and a dual beam headlight operated by controls from the handle bars. I do not need the bike to be fully road legal only what they term as a daylight MOT which is what I think you need to ride on public roads while getting to lanes. The bike is going to be used only for green landing so I assume it needs only a daytime MOT.

I have been told that a Honda Road Legal Kit is going to set me back £600 plus labour.

Thanks for your advice in advance

Attachments:
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG [ 747.08 KiB | Viewed 15249 times ]
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 15249 times ]

Post subject: Re: What makes an endure bike road legal for greenlaning
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:39 am 
125cc

I'm sure others more knowledgable will chip in..but my DRZ has only a dipped beam, brake light on the front and I have a battery powered horn that I put on for MOT purposes...I do have a trail tech speedo which I believe is supposed to back lit..but not sure on that last fact...anyway mine passes an MOT in that guise, which makes it road legal...of course tyres, mousses/Tubliss will come into it too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:30 am 
300 cc

What you have is a bike that's been modified to qualify for enduros but not really for trail riding.

For an mot it's ALL lights working ( hi: low headlight tail light:stop light and indicators if fitted) or NO lights fitted AT ALL. Must have a powered horn (some may let you get away with the old squeezy hooter type but not technically legal). It Should also have a bs stamped silencer and road legal tyres. Speedo and odometer I think may also be needed. As mileage needs recording and you need to know your speed on the road.

I think what you have bought is a bike that's "road registered" but not actually "road legal" at the moment.

FWIW I'd also say a converted mx bike is not suitable really for green laning. Been there done that. Gear ratios all wrong and too low for road work, power delivery too harsh and snappy, and the associated aggro you have regarding lights etc. It's ok saying you don't need lights but how can you say you won't be caught out in poor visibility, rain fog or after 4pm in winter when it's getting dusk.

Sell it and either buy a trail bike or proper enduro bike.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:50 am 
80 cc

Quite a few of us have Honda CRF 250 x's in my opinion they are one of the best bikes for the for green laning. The lighting kit that Honda UK use comes from a company called Pro racing the kit is good but expensive. My understanding is that you need a electrically powered horn but no lights, if lights are fitted but will not pass an MOT you can cover them up with tape and the MOT tester will give you what people commonly call a daylight MOT. The cheapest option for a speedo is a bicycle one,but there are a lot of after market speedos available. I am a Devon TRF member if you would like to send me a PM I would be happy to meet up and show you what I have used.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:54 am 
80 cc

James,

Be careful where you take it for an MOT. Speak to John Tremlett motorcycles at Ashburton on 01364 652766. John is very knowledgable on the subject and understands trail bike requirements. My understanding is that you need a horn (manual or electric), a brake light (I have rear only on my WR) and a full size number plate for an MOT. You do not need lights but if they are fitted they must work. Brakes must function correctly and there must be no play in wheel bearings.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:14 am 
650 cc Monster

Can I suggest that rather than rely on misleading second-hand information (for instance, there is no such thing as a 'daylight MoT' certificate) you download a copy of the MoT testers manual for motorcycles, which you can do here:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-inspection-manual-for-class-1-and-2-vehicles

Then work through your bike and find out what needs to be done to it to make it pass the test.

Also, bear in mind that the MoT test does not over all aspects of roadworthiness. For that, the bike would have to undergo a Single Vehicle Approval Test at a DVSA test station.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:17 am 
650 cc Monster

Afterthought...is it old enough to need an MoT Certificate yet?

Post subject: What makes an endure bike road legal for greenlaning
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:59 pm 
300 cc

If you have a brake light you need all your lights on and working. It's all or none. Of course once you have your mot then you can fit whatever you like on it in so far as a brake light and head light but if you get pulled and they get tested you may fall foul of the law.

This subject has been covered to death here and all over the net so have a search through the old treads or on google and you'll find the link to the .gov website with all the info you need.

And regardless of its age unless its been registered as homologised enduro bike from new it would have needed an mot to be registered.

The consensus of every other thread regarding this subject is "it ain't worth the hassle"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:06 pm 
80 cc

The crf250x is an enduro bike, the crf250r is the motocross.
If I were you I'd buy a megahorn from eBay, gaffa tape the lights up and run it in for its mot. Next step get out there and have some fun!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:40 pm 
650 cc Monster

Andy99 wrote:
The crf250x is an enduro bike, the crf250r is the motocross.
If I were you I'd buy a megahorn from eBay, gaffa tape the lights up and run it in for its mot. Next step get out there and have some fun!

Enduro bikes are road legal out of the box. This is because a lot of Enduro's will include liaison sections on highways, where your bike must be road legal.

Cross Country bikes are not road legal out of the box. This is because they are intended for competition on closed circuits that do not include use of highways. For this reason they do not need to be road legal.

KTM EXC = Enduro Bike (road legal out of the box)

KTM XC = Cross Country Bike (not road legal out of the box)

CRF 250x is a Cross Country Competition bike that can be modified to make it into a road legal Enduro Bike.

Worth noting that manufacturers now no longer offer some models as Enduro Bikes because they cannot get them to meet stricter emissions regs. They still offer them as Cross Country Competition Bikes, which can be modified to make them road legal.

Nice thing about buying a proper EU Enduro Road Bike is that you know it is intended for the road and has met a lot of regulatory requirements to be legal out of the box, as opposed to a modified competition bike that the anti-public access industry like to complain about.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next