TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What gear to carry with me?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:43 pm 
300 cc

Don't get too hung up about what may happen or may not happen. Chances are that you'll have plenty of trouble free miles.

Spare brake and clutch levers, spare 21" tube and means to fit it. Selection of relevant spanners and your good to go. (Sure we've all ridden home once in our lives yanking the broken throttle cable with our hand when this has failed, but a spare is cheap and easy to carry). I used to have it pre routes and cable ties to the original for ease). In a jam someone will have what you need to fix it but don't overly rely on others generosity as someone who religiously turns up unprepared and always seems to be the one on an I'll prepped bike that breaks down all the time, will soon stop being invited out!

In reality if your in a group, there isn't much point in 5 riders carrying 5 sets of 3 tyre levers, 5 pumps etc etc so converse with your fellows to arrange whose going to carry what.

On this note when camping always volunteer to carry the food, even though it may be the bulkiest and heaviest on day 1 by day 3 it'll all be eaten and you'll have the lightest load!

Tyre weld cans rarely work and do puncture/leak/go off and make a mess in your bag. In 25 years only once has this method actually worked.

A rear puncture can be limped home at slow speed so a front tube and small levers are all you really need along with a small pump. Front tyres are easy to do, where as a rear is a royal pain on the trail.

As for tubliss! What's the point. They are not puncture proof and from reports read online are 1 an arse ache to fit and 2 fail far too often. And they ain't cheap either.

If your road miles are small then mousses are your friend. But if it's your commute bike then these won't last and are quite dear. I've been on mousses for the last 10 years with 0 issues covering 3-5k a year trail and race. Some may question the legality but the same argument applies to tubliss and ultra he tubes which all say not recommended for road use. That said I can't comment on how they will behave on a heavy DR. On a 100kg enduro bike they're fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:04 pm 
650 cc Monster

For bikes where a mousse may not be appropriate eg the crf250l have moved to the michelin ultra heavy duty tube (uhd) 4mm thick. They are available from trf member www.endurotyres.com with a trf discount.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:38 pm 
650 cc Monster

I herts we get lots of punctures - i believe they are hawthorn. I always carry tyreweld which i have found has a 50% success. Not enough to continue the ride but maybe enough to get close to home/van

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Insurance

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:37 pm 
80 cc

That's all I would be worried about: either being able to get to a main road where my insurance paid pickup guy can get me, or to just get home myself.

I have heard the old wives tales about tyre weld making a huge mess in the tyre and dealers trying to charge extra to deal with it.

If tyre weld can indeed temporarily fix a flat and get you home then I wonder why don't all greenlaners carry it? Seems like a no-brainer unless I'm missing something (I usually am).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:11 pm 
400 cc

Tyre weld only helps with small holes in the inner tube. Thorns etc.

Quite often with a puncture you may not notice straight away. This often means the valve is often ripped out, it does not help with what we call snake bite punctures.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:17 pm 
300 cc

Teabag_Terry wrote:

If tyre weld can indeed temporarily fix a flat and get you home then I wonder why don't all greenlaners carry it? Seems like a no-brainer unless I'm missing something (I usually am).

Because it doesn't work all to often and most trail riders will carry a spare tube and do the change on the track. Why waste £5 and run the risk it won't work and youll have to change the tube anyway. Just change the tube and get rolling again. Forget all this defeatist attitude of get me to a road and I'll call the AA! What happens if the puncture occurs on lane 1. Are you really going to be happy to jack it in and call it a day and then wait 4 hours for the AA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:14 am 
650 cc Monster

In this lane 1 case I use the tyreweld to give a 50% chance of getting to a morning coffee break where we can do a fix on clean ground over a coffee

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Insurance

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:54 pm 
400 cc

Put your tyre levers in the air box, strapped to the frame.
Done it for years without any issues.

Hereford Chairman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:04 pm 
50 cc

Mmm. Why not use Mousses? Remove the uncertainty...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:58 am 
400 cc

You then have the uncertainty of getting nicked for using mooses.

Hereford Chairman

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next