TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Convering Xpedition routes into Garmin Basecamp format
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:25 pm 
400 cc

Please can I have some help?

I prefer to plot routes using Satmap Xpedition. However they have made a change not long ago where the option to save in TCX was removed.

Now I need to covert the routes so they can be imported into Basecamp.

I have downloaded GPSBable but am still having issues in opening the routes on Basecamp.

If you can suggest a simple process, with step by step help. I would be very happy.

Post subject: Re: Convering Xpedition routes into Garmin Basecamp format
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:11 pm 
200 cc

Just use .gpx format

Works on both and most widely used format

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:37 pm 
400 cc

force4fun wrote:
Just use .gpx format

Works on both and most widely used format

Not sure what you mean. From Xpedition you can an option to save as a route or track

Converting it to use in another format is my problem.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:04 pm 
300 cc

Firstly what are your current routes saved as. gpx or tcx files?

What format do you want to convert them to and why?

no need to convert tcx files for basecamp. base camp can import them as tcx files. if you choose to export or save in the future you can select gpx at that time. so in theory you can use basecamp to convert the files.

what may be happening is that, as routes, there are too many markers and it exceeds the max permitted in basecamp.

sorry massive photo!!!!

Attachments:
basecamp.jpg
basecamp.jpg [ 340.51 KiB | Viewed 11045 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:27 pm 
400 cc

Some are saved as TCX and yes they convert fine as they were how I moved them from Xpedition.

However I do not get that option. I prefer to
Plot routes in Xpedition as I like the information it gives me. Never got on with Basecamp.

Just need a easy way to convert my routes or tracks into Garmin friendly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:25 am 
300 cc

Not sure I follow.
Garmin devices seem to work best with gpx so that's the format I'd use and most shared files use this format.
If you can import to basecamp as tcx and they open ok then you can export or save either to desktop or device and select how you want them saved i.e. Gpx format.

This is just as easy as using any other conversion program.

When you've plotted them in xpedition does that not give the option to save as gpx? If so just do that. Why do you need xpedition to save as tcx if gpx is possible if you're only going to convert to gpx for your device.

If all you want to do is convert older files in tcx to gpx then there's a few other online services which do this for free. Just google gpx converter. I use gpsvisualiser which works on kml/Kmz files.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:48 pm 
400 cc

Ok,

So I create a route in Xpedition and save it under gpx route, however you can not import in straight into Basecamp. You get the warning message saying it has not happened.

Which is why I am trying GPS Bable as a route conversion option. Despite trying to convert the routes in gpx, or gdb format I can not import them into Basecamp.

As I said, I prefer the Xpedition routing, as I understand it more, prefer the 1.25 option and the detail it gives regarding where you are in a route for fuel stops and any changes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:24 pm 
300 cc

Got you. I had similar issues importing gpx from memory map. I think it's because there's too many markers. One way to try would be splitting the route in 2 or creating as a track option rather than a route.
Either tat or cut down on the amount of markers by straight lining roads rather than plotting every bend.

One other option might be get a 1:25k card from eBay for the basecamp for about £40. It'll probably be a german crack copy but it should work in basecamp even if it doesn't in the garmin. Once you get on with basecamp it's fairly easy but the fact when you zoom out it turns into a road map is a pain, especially if you're plotting a long route. What I do in those cases is plot the start and the end as a straight line and then "insert" the points rather than trying to plotting the whole track as I go.

I know if I could've got my old w98 memory map to work without hanging on w10 then I wouldn't have bothered trying basecamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:25 pm 
400 cc

Just spent the best part of an hour plotting a route Keeping waypoints to a minimum. However saved as a route and a track. Then converted them via Bable , but still will not import into Basecamp.

So frustrating.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:11 pm 
200 cc

can't think why you are having issues, I used xpedition previously with garmin basecamp and all was fine. I always use gpx format as most common.

One think to remember is that satmap talk routes but in garmin it is a track (both just lines on a map, not a sat nav direction).

I would create a really simple route on xpedition (just a single byway), save it as a gpx file then export it to your PC into a folder. open basecamp and then use import to upload to basecamp.

no need for gpsbabel (I use that too but no need on this). when you see it in basecamp, if you have an issue opening it, right click on it and create track

let me know, it's normally really easy!

as a side note, I now use basecamp and it's pretty good. I had too many issues with xpedition not recognising silverlight

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next