TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: DRZ oil drain
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:15 pm 
80 cc

Hello -
You know when you buy a second hand bike you go through a phase lasting about a fortnight - finding all the issues you should have spotted before you bought it? Yes that's me.

So I thought I would change the oil yesterday but discover a very neat weld in the casing where the sump drain bolt used to be.
Someone has over tightened the plug and cracked the casing. The repair looks fine but no attempt to drill and tap for a new drain.

I drained the frame oil, but I only got about 1250ml out. So reckon 550ml is still in the engine. That's about 1/3.
Tried opening the return hose banjo but this merely empties the hose.

Anyone got any ideas how to get the last 500ml out??

Can it be sucked out with a tube inserted somewhere?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: DRZ oil drain
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:11 pm 
300 cc

But crude but the clutch inspection plate is about 6 bolts and has an o-ring seal. Remove that and lean the bike over to drain the oil out.

Sent from my HS-U971 using Tapatalk

AK - CAMBS TRF
CCM404E

Post subject: DRZ oil drain
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:14 pm 
300 cc

You can buy a suction syringe or pump specifically designed for this sort of thing.

Used all the time to drain Briggs engines on mowers and I believe Smart cars don't have an accessible drain either so use a suction pump.

Failing that warm the bike up so the oil is pumped mostly into the frame and drain that only. Not an ideal solution. But if you change your oil a lot more frequently from now on, leaving some of the old oil in won't be a major issue after all it's getting 2/3 of an oil change!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:47 pm 
650 cc Monster

Just tip it over when you change the oil filter to get most of the rest of the oil out of the engine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:00 pm 
300 cc

this video may help as several oil areas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXPvzOrJQhU

Or drill and tap a new drain hole

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:44 pm 
80 cc

Thanks chaps. Great advice.

I think i'm misunderstanding somewhat the way the dry sump system works.
so I'll do a bit more reading.

As I understand it the pump delivers high pressure oil to the engine bearings but also it scavenges and returns oil to the reservoir.
I was thinking I could somehow intercept this return oil by opening up a hose somewhere. Gently turning the engine over on the starter ( spark plug removed) should ejecting the remaining oil.

But it might be simpler just to adopt one of the advised methods above.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:01 pm 
650 cc Monster

As I understand it the pump delivers high pressure oil to the engine bearings but also it scavenges and returns oil to the reservoir.
I was thinking I could somehow intercept this return oil by opening up a hose somewhere. Gently turning the engine over on the starter ( spark plug removed) should ejecting the remaining oi

Whatever you do do, don't do this!

On most motorcycle engines the oil pressure and film strength is the only thing preventing metal-to-metal contact on plain bearings. It's far better to leave a little bit of the 'old' oil in the engine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:04 pm 
650 cc Monster

[i]You can buy a suction syringe or pump specifically designed for this sort of thing. [i]

You can, but it won't work on a dry sump engine...how do you get the business end of the pipe into the sump? The oil filler is in the frame on a DR-Z400.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:08 pm 
650 cc Monster

suffolkbiker wrote:
Thanks chaps. Great advice.

I think i'm misunderstanding somewhat the way the dry sump system works.
so I'll do a bit more reading.

I was thinking I could somehow intercept this return oil by opening up a hose somewhere. Gently turning the engine over on the starter ( spark plug removed) should ejecting the remaining oil.

But it might be simpler just to adopt one of the advised methods above.

Here's a relatively crude explanation:

Most of the oil is, in normal circumstances, held in the frame. Oil gravity-feeds to the sump. The oil pump picks it up and it is pumped at high pressure through the crank and filter, with some being tapped off to the top end of the engine. The high-pressure line eventually exits at the top of the oil tank, and the oil flows down through the tank and back into the sump.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:36 pm 
80 cc

thanks - so I wont pump the oil out then.
Taking off the clutch cover may involve draining the coolant so a bit of a pain.
Putting the bike on its side might get a bit out of the oil filter space.
So looks like I need to run the bike properly up to temp then immediately drain from the frame only.
I'll measure the amount I get out this way and compare to the volume of oil in the system as designed - which I think its meant to be 1800ml.
Then I'll increase the number of changes accordingly.

Getting there!

Thanks to all.

Richard

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next