TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Chinese radiators
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:17 pm 
125cc

I need to replace one of the radiators on my 450 EXC. Having scoured eBay I note that you can buy BOTH rads for £68 from a company in the Netherlands. The rads are made in China. Of course in the photos and blurb all looks pretty good, but has anyone ever bought such radiators please? Is this too good to be true? Do they fit like the originals? Do they function (e.g. cool) OK? Do they survive the rigours, within reason, of being dropped (gently-ish) on green rds? Any advice or experiences would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Chinese radiators
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:50 pm 
80 cc

From my experience would would be better off having your own radiators repaired, by someone like gmx. i used GPI rads on one of my husky projects
the inlet and outlet tubes needed to be modified and the radiators cracked within a month or so.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:40 pm 
80 cc

I know road riders who have tried Chinese rads on their bikes due to the huge cost saving, and they have reported them to be fine with no problems whatsoever.
I have Chinese front discs on my road bike and they are very well engineered, well finished, fitted perfectly and have worked well for the last 2 years.
I think its a case of being reasonably cautious and finding a product with user reviews and feedback, same as everything else these days.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:54 pm 
300 cc

I expect the genuine Ones are made in China too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:03 pm 
650 cc Monster

A lot of radiators are actually made by the original KTM company (not the motorcycle co) in Austria.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:56 pm 
125cc

Many thanks for all the input gentlemen. Taking into consideration your comments and a bit of research on the inter web I'm taking the plunge and am buying a pair of rads for £68 off eBay. I'll fit them, ride them and report back in due course. If I knew how to download photos onto this forum I'd include a photo of one of my rads taken off the bike. (I've tried, let's see if it works) Talk about banana shape - but it holds water - but has yet to be tested in earnest..

Attachments:
170304-KTM rad.JPG
170304-KTM rad.JPG [ 163.21 KiB | Viewed 10599 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:24 pm 
400 cc

Get some rad gaurds aswell Tim.

Hereford Chairman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:58 pm 
300 cc

Or rad braces!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:10 pm 
125cc

I bought a pair from China via Ebay for my Honda CRF450x and they were better made and quality than the originals!

Fit was spot on and they were supposed to give better cooling properties given they were slightly bigger!

They were also cheaper than trying to find decent second hand original items!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:54 pm 
125cc

As promised, I'll let you know how I found the Chinese radiators I bought for my KTM450EXC. In short they have performed really well - I'm very pleased with them - as I was with the price. Having thoroughly tested them out over 3 intense and superb days in Central France and 2 in UK I can report that they have functioned brilliantly, with the bike perhaps running slightly cooler. I've continued with my well established tradition of dropping the bike and, so far, no obvious damage and certainly no leaks.
My only (minor) adverse comment relates to not having captive washers fitted to the mounting lugs. Not a real issue as I fitted external/over-size washers with rubber grommets - thereby allowing similar absorption/flex to the mounted rad as per the original. And they have survived a few tumbles. Conclusion? I would recommend these rads, not least as they are significantly cheaper than anything else I found on the market.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next