TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: newbie in Birmingham
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:17 am 
50 cc

Hi everyone.
I signed up at the recent motorcycle show in London and am looking forward to finding the West Mids guys later on tonight but I need broader reassurance on my choice of weapon. I seem to be gravitating towards Suzuki's 400cc Banana.
I have done a lot of reading, in fact that's what put me off the Honda CRF 250X when I read that service intervals are measured in hours rather than miles and that they were not as reliable as say the average Honda road bike. Understandable if it comes from a race background. Does the same thing apply to all things orange? Correct me if that's not the case.
My skill level is virtually zero and I'm the grey side of 55 so I'm guessing I will feel more in control on the Suzuki?
One extra question regarding the DRZ specifically. Are all variants the same except for the wheels? Only there seems to be a lot more SM flavour bikes on ebay and some come with a spare set of knobbly shod wheels, or are they geared and set up differently, less crash proof etc.
Anyway, hello again and I hope to meet lots of you in person some day soon.

Regards
Alan H

add/edit:
I am 6'1" and fourteen stone if that makes a difference

Post subject: Re: newbie in Birmingham
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:03 pm 
300 cc

The DRZ is a great all rounder. Good on the road, long service intervals and will pull up tree stumps.
However, and there is always a however, they are heavy. Very heavy when you have to keep picking it up.
Orange and CRF's X models anyway have similar service needs, but the hourly service intervals are for race duty, not running around lanes. I would recommend a smaller, lighter machine for a first timer, even if it's more difficult to ride technically (it has a powerband).

Sent from a little plastic block that's smarter than I am

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:13 pm 
125cc

Hello & Welcome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:39 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings Alan,

Welcome to you from the Manchester Group folks.

Drs are great bikes, subtle differences between models which become apparent for servicing and maintenance but they all do well on trails, just has been mentioned is the weight :shock:

A similar bike is the Beta Alp 4.0 which uses the Suzuki engine and many components.

I do not know the folks but there is what looks to be a very nice TTR for sale on the forum;

viewtopic.php?f=110&t=23363

I might give that a bit of deliberation if I were you but don't take too long as I am sure that it will be snapped up soon.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:01 pm 
200 cc

Hi Alan , the drz is a good green lane bike ,good on the road sections ,plenty of steady usable power and pretty bomb proof BUT quite a hefty beast ,that allows you to plod through most slop ,almost un stoppable ,very little maintainance apart from your normal bits and bobs . If you are in the market try to find a drz but the E model as the E stands for Enduro ,...plastic tank ,different carb ,no rear footrests ,probably slightly better tuned etc ,have a look on the lap top thingy as you can find the differences .Mine was spot on until someone wanted it more than me and it dissapeard on night out of the garage .
One bike to consider is the KTM 400 ,cracking bike for the lanes.....same as above but two thirds the weight !
good searching Julian East Yorks trf :ugeek:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:46 pm 
80 cc

Suzuki DR350 if you can find a good one. Lighter than the 400, air cooled, probably more reliable and 6 gears. Will go around the world and back and more than enough go if you are just riding the lanes not riding enduro.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:01 am 
125cc

The DRZ SM does differ in some important areas compared with the E/S models. Mainly suspension as it is pretty stiff as its set up for the tarmac. The E model is the one to look for, lighter and a bit more powerful without loosing the reliability.

As has been said before though, they are pretty heavy. They become exhausting after a while, especially if you drop them a couple of times....ask me how I know!

I later swapped to a WR250F Yam. Great bike, perfect for the lanes

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:48 am 

Hello and welcome from East Sussex

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]