TRF Forums

It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: what tyre for grip
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:37 pm 
50 cc

what tyre is best for a drz 400e to use in a classic trial regs say it must be a trials type? and not an enduro.sorry should have described the event as a long distance trial and not a rally

Last edited by robsonpeter on Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: what tyre for grip
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:51 pm 
80 cc

For grip Michelin x11 4.00 x 18 (Not x lite - too flimsy)
For life, Pirelli Mt43 same size, more robust but not as grippy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:02 pm 
300 cc

What rally are you doing?
None i've ever entered in the last 2 years have said TRIALS tyre.
Are you sure you don't mean TRAIL type tyre?

For the ATRC rallies run by clubs in the UK, they need to be road legal, so there's plenty to choose from.
If your DRZ is you regular trail ride then you wont really want to be using FIM spec enduro tyres as they wont last more than 1 or 2 events. However for rallies this is exactly what you DO want and what most people who want to "compete" use. Some do use the legal mx tyres(AC10s Maxxis) but they must be road legal. Don't think ive ever seen anyone use a Trials tyre on a rally!

As a compromise you could use something like the MT21 Pirelli, its a dual sport tyre so has good road manners and a relatively long life.

TBH these sort of questions will stir up 1001 different opinions.

You'd be better off asking this on the Rallymoto forum but like here that will give you a dozen different opinions.

If it truly does say TRIALS tyre (which it doesn't, I'm sure) then they are all the same pattern. As such they all do the same thing and work roughly the same. some of the softer compounds will give better grip on rocks and slabs and some will be better at speed or cornering. And FWIW all will be dreadful on any UK rally as they are not designed for speed or the enduro type going around the course. I went for the Mitas trials tyre (on my spare wheel for LDTs and Devon) which is supposed to give more grip on rocks but doesn't like the road work as much as the MT43.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:34 pm 
80 cc

What rally? Brechfa entry has just opened at the regs state FIM road legal - don't recall any rallies that specify trials tyres.

Personally, I run Metzeler 6 Days Extreme - generally a very grippy tyre in most conditions. Soft though so not the longest lasting but I'd rather have better grip and replace more frequently.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]