TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Best for lasting CRF230 rear brake shoes ?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:56 pm 
650 cc Monster

Joe110 wrote:
Vern, if you could let me know how you did it please that would be great along with what caliper etc etc. I have an xr as well and a spare rear wheel, I'm sure I've heard of people using one of those.

One other thing have you removed the switch on clutch with the two spades on it ? Was wondering how do you know which spade is which ?

Cheers Joe.

Sent from my Bush 5" Android using Tapatalk

I believe it doesn't matter just connect up which ever is nearest to the respective terminal.

It function is to allow the starter to turn when in gear with the clutch is in.

if any of the two are disconnected you will be open circuit and will have to find neutral to turn the starter.

If having trouble with the switch simply short the wires and the starter will turn regardless of being in gear or neutral.

Call if you are having trouble here and I will help diagnose any symptoms over the phone.

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:53 pm 
300 cc

Much better to keep the switch, if you stall you will not be able to restart without first finding neutral, awkward in certain situations.
Pattern versions of the switch on Fleebay not expensive.£& from M&P http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CRF-230 ... SwstxVfux1

Green and grey wire can go on either terminal. The grey is the earth from the starter relay coil, it has to earth via the clutch switch connecting to the green wire to earth or via the neutral switch to earth for the starter to operate. If you wish to remove the switch and you join the two clutch switch wires, it will start with the clutch engaged but this will happen even in gear so the bike could leap forward or if you accidently caught the starter switch while in gear, so not very safe.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:22 am 
125cc

Joe110 I have sent you a PM. Let me know your email and I'll forward details. I used an XR400 rear wheel.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:30 am 
125cc

Regarding brake pads: Composition of the pad can make a huge difference to longevity. Look for sintered pads and see if different grades are available. (EBC information is a good place to start). Because the pad fits the calliper doesn't mean it will work well. I found differences of worn out in a couple of rides to lasting months! Most of you probably already know this but not everybody does.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:38 am 
400 cc

Vern wrote:
Regarding brake pads: Composition of the pad can make a huge difference to longevity. Look for sintered pads and see if different grades are available. (EBC information is a good place to start). Because the pad fits the calliper doesn't mean it will work well. I found differences of worn out in a couple of rides to lasting months! Most of you probably already know this but not everybody does.

Good point
I generally use oem pads which are generally Nissin on Jap bikes and Brembo on Euro bikes
They provide the best feel & long life for trail riding
I find sintered pads too hard for trail riding as they don't stay hot enough in mud and water like they would on a road bike
I am not keen on ebc as the compound is very hard for trail riding
Just my opinion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:11 pm 
300 cc

Quote:
Bill I can't seem to download the August edition. I'll try on my laptop later. Thank you for the idea.

Hi Jo I have PM'D you the extract from the newsletter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:16 pm 
125cc

Thanks for all the information, reading article now.

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:35 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Just for reference purposes you might be interested to take a look through the fitting booklet from Goldfren which gives some good information about brake pad materials;

http://www.goldfren.com/goldfren-produc ... -pads.html

Sorry but it is too big a file to be attached. No doubt other manufacturers will offer similar information.

TTFN

Hugh.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2