TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: You'd think they'd want us!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:32 pm 
80 cc

Twenty years ago mountain bikers were often given the same treatment as we are now, but with a increase in numbers the authorities in most areas started to realise the HUGE potential for income and overtime bike parks sprung up all over. This now brings in large sums of money to the likes of the Forestry commission and alike. With an increase in motorised trail riding then it might just be possible on time something similar may happen. Don't just poo poo it, as mtb riders we didn't think it would happen but it only took a couple of centres for the rest of the country to see the potential.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:29 pm 
650 cc Monster

While I see and partially accept the play park principle, I use my trail riding to see the countryside I couldn't get to otherwise.

While not remotely 'disabled' my lower back and knee problems mean walking longer distances, over hilly terrain in particular, is not an option. I like to use my bike to let me see the world around me, not go round in circles - although that can still be fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:54 pm 
650 cc Monster

jmc wrote:
Twenty years ago mountain bikers were often given the same treatment as we are now, but with a increase in numbers the authorities in most areas started to realise the HUGE potential for income and overtime bike parks sprung up all over. This now brings in large sums of money to the likes of the Forestry commission and alike. With an increase in motorised trail riding then it might just be possible on time something similar may happen. Don't just poo poo it, as mtb riders we didn't think it would happen but it only took a couple of centres for the rest of the country to see the potential.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

i see my post has disappeared again......not contentious...its just discussion...but then that would make me look something more than just a wrecker.

for the benefit of those that missed it i asked how it was done, what steps did the mountainbikers take.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:17 pm 
200 cc

Mountain biking went from a fringe activity to a more mainstream activity, I remember something Alan Kind wrote on this awhile back, his view was that when you had families with children out on MTB's then the authorities had to take notice and change their attitude to MTB's.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:33 pm 
650 cc Monster

John Harvey wrote:
Mountain biking went from a fringe activity to a more mainstream activity, I remember something Alan Kind wrote on this awhile back, his view was that when you had families with children out on MTB's then the authorities had to take notice and change their attitude to MTB's.

thanks John thats interesting. I think if we could make ourselves a bit more useful and appear to be equity positive ( cannot think of the right phrase or words) i don't mean the economic value because that will always pale when compared to the greater numbers of walkers and general tourists but more physical input. raising cash for major projects without strings or even direct association with trail riding, social inputs that become the very fabric of the community. Make it so it us as people that are valued not our activity. the bikes are just how we choose to travel not the object of our activity.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:11 am 
650 cc Monster

"when you had families with children out on MTB's then the authorities had to take notice and change their attitude"

http://www.trf.org.uk/joy-riding-kid/

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:31 am 
650 cc Monster

Woodywoodster wrote:
That's not fair but then I suppose that's just how it is sometime, hopefully things might change and they'll become a bit more forward thinking...I can't see how. KTM E ride on trials tyres is gonna cause any harm if ridden sympathetically..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.trf.org.uk/electric-motion/

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:18 am 
400 cc

Richard Simpson wrote:
They don't want motorbikes in the BB and PD parks...and certainly not off the tarmac.

They think we are horrible.

That's why.

It appears so & YDNPA is going the same way

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3