TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Installing Maps on new Garmin Montana (Help)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:43 pm 
80 cc

Just bought one of these Montana's and would like the routable maps too. Am I right in thinking I need this... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182385799774

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:32 pm 
650 cc Monster

Hi Ben

Are you looking for routable maps of the black stuff /tarmac or the green stuff / eg BOATS for trail riding?

I believe the link you point to is for the black stuff for navigating around Europe on tarmac.

I personally have found City Navigator Europe https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/6299/pn/010-D0036-00worse than useless in the Montana and prefer Google maps / TomTom or the Zumo

I would be interested to hear of someone who has the routing working well on a montana

If you are looking for the green stuff this is the wrong map and you need something off here http://www.garmin.com/en-GB/maps/outdoor

I know this is confusing so happy to help with a quick call and save endless posts - plus give you a few (genuine) maps on sd card to try out before you buy.

You can call me on 07721480000

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:19 am 
80 cc

Hi Mario, sorry I should of been clearer. I bought the Garmin 2nd hand it already has the OS maps loaded which is a bonus. One of the reasons we have bought this is for a road trip in June. We have most of the route plotted out already on open street map, if there was a way to get that onto the Garmin then that would be spot on

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:17 pm 
300 cc

The garmin 600 I have also came with euro and gb road maps. Check in the map list as it may be disabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:19 pm 
650 cc Monster

Hi Ben

1. Use the OSM road maps from talky toaster

Or

2. Buy (or borrow) the CN sd card

3. Import the gpx map into your montana

Where are you based as you may need some local help if you are struggling with this frequent use task

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:52 pm 
80 cc

Ok if anyone is interested I have sorted this and got both the OS maps and Navigator on the same memory card.

I downloaded city navigator from here... https://pirateproxy.vip/torrent/1224593 ... NT_2016.10

You need to copy the entire content of your memory card with the OS maps on onto your computer then onto another, bigger card (I got a 16gb one). Select "view hidden files" there should be a folder hidden in there called garmin.

You then need to put the city navigator file in the garmin folder but change the name from gmapsupp.img to "what ever you want".img before you copy it over.

Once all the files are copied over, stick the memory card into your montana and both maps should be displayed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:18 am 
300 cc

ive found that when you copy the garmin os map folder across to a new card, either directly using the device or by copying it to the pc and then onto the new sd card, it wont unlock the maps when the new card is put in the device. Tried a few times now but still comes up with "unable to unlock map" when device is powered up. ive got 2 genuine copies of os maps on sd card and the same happens when you try and copy either card. It does however allow you to use the copied cards data in basecamp!

just curious how you have overcome this? as it seems the os maps are locked to the card garmin loaded them on and any attempt at copying them to a new card somehow locks them.

not that bothered if I cant get it to work as there is plenty of internal memory for what I need at the moment for routes and logs but having a larger sd card would be handy to add more maps to but not at the expense of losing the os maps.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2