TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Montana, Viewranger, Paper maps, MEMMAP etc
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:56 pm 
200 cc

Many years ago i was in the Manchester TRF and have just bought myself a little TRAIL bike to do some laning when i have gathered enough kit again. I will be joining back up again too.

My question is, which piece of 'mapping your way' is easiest to get on with for an oldish rider (62) and i have always used Garmin Zumo sat navs in my road riding for the last few years?

A few years ago i had an old 'road angel' with memmap but could never get my head around why it was always NORTH up and it confused me so much i have long since binned it!!

I see a lot of Garmin Montana 600's around but what is the best way of following a crumb trail gpx route and to save confusing me again one that shows the map moving in whatever direction you are travelling.

Thanks for your help

Ian

Post subject: Re: Montana, Viewranger, Paper maps, MEMMAP etc
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:01 pm 
300 cc

select route up rather than north up on your device of choice, carry paper map as back up :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:54 pm 
650 cc Monster

Hi Ian

You will gets lots of advice.
My opinion - there is still not one device that does everything i want at any price. Every device has a downside.

The best is the Garmin Montana 600 - about £350 with full GB 1;50,000 mapping. Battery life is ok but I use rugged mount which charges the device all the time so you can have it on full brightness. You can see it in bright sunshine and it is Track up - so easy to follow.

The big issue with all Garmin devices is that to put tracks on the device from your computer you have to use some software called Basecamp which to me is difficult to master.

Give me a call if you want to discuss anything about GPS's

Alan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:36 pm 

My mode is to set the start of a lane as favourite in my road zumo and just head to each one as needed by having a sequence list or order ot do them. Maybe there are long or open and poorly maked lanes, but to be honest once on the trail its fine, its getting to yeh start of them thats more difficult.

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:23 pm 
200 cc

Thanks guys

@AlanH Hi Alan, i don't have your phone number but if you could send me a message to 07747477855 i will ring you for a catch up

Ian (still slow and probably less skilled than on my last attempt at trail riding :lol: :lol: )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:41 am 
650 cc Monster

It may be worth pointing out;

The Garmin Montana 600 is an older model and there are newer recommended alternatives.

There are newer alternative ways other than Basecamp to plot gpx routes and transfer them to possibly all Garmin GPSs and particularly the newer ones

Any newcomer could be advised to take a look here http://www.trf.org.uk/portfolio-item/isnt-there-an-app-for-that/ - and start with GPS for free on a existing smartphone or £50 secondhand Apple or Android- before spending £350 on technology they may struggle with. We are seeing significant numbers of people giving up on GPS because a Garmin is difficult to use. I feel that starting with Viewranger and progressing to Garmin is a better - and cheaper approach.

Eventually it is highly likely that you will end up with Garmin - I am a great fan and have two units- but in my opinion it is not the best place to start.

Many groups run GPS sessions and I would be happy to run one on demand at a local group.

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:07 pm 
80 cc

The native software on the Road Angel doesn't do north up, but if you can install Ozi Explorer that does and it works well. You might regret binning your old Road Angel as there is a niche market for them!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:45 pm 
200 cc

Hoops wrote:
The native software on the Road Angel doesn't do north up, but if you can install Ozi Explorer that does and it works well. You might regret binning your old Road Angel as there is a niche market for them!

After years in a drawer in the garage it wouldn't power up despite several attempts at charging it etc (i kin hated it anyway)

Thanks
Ian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:47 pm 
200 cc

Is this any use for seeing where the BOATs are?

http://www.bywaymap.com/index.html

A quick look seemed to remind me of some i have done in the past but i don't know how 'up to date' it is ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:57 pm 
400 cc

scotsy wrote:
Is this any use for seeing where the BOATs are?

http://www.bywaymap.com/index.html

A quick look seemed to remind me of some i have done in the past but i don't know how 'up to date' it is ?

After looking at areas I'm familiar with, I would say you could get into a lot of trouble relying on that information.

The council and national park web sites are much more reliable, suggest you search, council name then online maps of public rights of way.

Here's an example of one I use, don't forget to click "road network" as well for ORPA's
http://maps.northyorks.gov.uk/connect/a ... _and_About

Rod

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next