TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ktm 400 exc 2009 won't idle!! And backfires. Help please
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:49 pm 
80 cc

Wow cheers for all the help, just a quick update. I drained the bowl on the bottom of the carb and dropped what was in it. I've cleaned the spark plug and found it was about 0.1 out on the factory specifications. I also altered the air intake screw underneath the carb which was out quarter of a turn from the factory settings. After doing all this the bike sounds and rides alot more smoothly and doesn't bog down. It sounds alot more in rythmn and just feels alot better. Only thing I've got now to moan about is that sometimes when stopping the bike seems to continue to keep high revs until the clutch is released. This is intermittent and something I can live with. Thanks everyone once again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:52 pm 
650 cc Monster

Location: great er manchester seeing the light through the pouring rain
;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:53 pm 
650 cc Monster

Percy619 wrote:
Wow cheers for all the help, just a quick update. I drained the bowl on the bottom of the carb and dropped what was in it. I've cleaned the spark plug and found it was about 0.1 out on the factory specifications. I also altered the air intake screw underneath the carb which was out quarter of a turn from the factory settings. After doing all this the bike sounds and rides alot more smoothly and doesn't bog down. It sounds alot more in rythmn and just feels alot better. Only thing I've got now to moan about is that sometimes when stopping the bike seems to continue to keep high revs until the clutch is released. This is intermittent and something I can live with. Thanks everyone once again.

Bad idle (having to set the tickover to high)....is a common valve issue.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:01 pm 
80 cc

It's not all the time, apparently the valves were checked and said to be ok when I took it to the garage. I'll check them as well. I'm gonna give it a good run out over the next couple of days. See what happens! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:15 pm 
80 cc

Percy619 wrote:
It's not all the time, apparently the valves were checked and said to be ok when I took it to the garage. I'll check them as well. I'm gonna give it a good run out over the next couple of days. See what happens! :shock:

Good for you - gives a good feeling when you fix something doesn't it.

Throttle, again I'm not familiar with KTM - are they fly by wire or cable throttle. If cable throttle are they push and pull two cables like a Honda.

Cables these days are usually PTFE (Poly Tetro Fluoro Etholide lined on nylon or something like that - slippery) and rarely need lubricating unless they have got dirty water down them with small particles of dirt turning to grit. If thats the case you can normally feel the throttle grating as you gently operate it.

If they are cables then try some lightweight oil at the throttle end. Or buy a cable oiler and spray and go the whole hog.

The other thing that could cause delayed throttle response assuming that the carbs are traditional is a weakened slide return spring - that could be anything from a damaged spring, an ill fitting spring, trapped spring on re-assemble, someone removing a turn or two to make a lighter throttle. Some of the Kehin carbs have a slide which is arm actuated and if the arm has been twisted or bent on assembly then that can cause the same problem.

Best get to the bottom of it - a sticking throttle at the wrong time can be a dangerous problem to have.

Oh - and remember to put a good dose of Redex in your tank and if you were like me you'd use it constantly for a precaution.

Well done you. ride safe and have fun.

Keep us posted on what else you find.

Stuart

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:36 pm 
650 cc Monster

Result ! Let us know how the run goes...do not buy any Redex..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:08 pm 
80 cc

Cheers fellas, it's good because I've also learnt how to strip the bike down. I know there's loads to it but the more I learn these things the better it'll be. Can't believe that things only need adjusting a little and can have such an effect on the way things run. I don't want to count my chickens just yet so hopefully it'll work out ok. It's having a full tank of fuel and a good run out. I'll keep you posted.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:23 pm 
80 cc

Joel wrote:
Result ! Let us know how the run goes...do not buy any Redex..

Joel,

What problems can Redex cause?

It's essentially paraffin.

I've had superb results across a range of bikes, ages, types and problems.

Cheers

Stuart

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:04 am 
650 cc Monster

Snake Oil.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:42 pm 
80 cc

Joel wrote:
Snake Oil.

Not a very helpful reply Joel.

It comes off the fractional distillation scale at a different point to petrol and contains different components as a result, the higher viscosity coupled with that enables it to have a cleaning effect. Having read the independent research I'm convinced.

I'm no chemist but there is an amateur view.

But beyond that, I have used it regularly on a variety of bikes and had problems that disappear. I choose to link the disappearance of the problem with my use of Redex.

Many racers will put a thimble of light oil into a tank of fuel for a variety of running reasons including top end lubrication as well as cleaning the fuelling system.

I could understand your "advice" not to use Redex if it was built on something.

But a reply of "snake oil" is just not very helpful to people reading the Forum and trying to get some advice on what to do.

Anyway - each to their own - I'll keep using Redex cause it works for me, and you can still consider it as "snake oil".

Cheers

Stuart

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next