TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Red Dots
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:16 pm 
80 cc

Hello,

I'm currently marking my OS maps using the CCC Hierarchy of Trails pages and it has brought a question I'd like to know the answer too.

Take a look at this section of map

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=36 ... 31715&lm=0

The arrow points to a road with red dots which according to the council, is a public route for motor vehicles yet the one to the north (Appleside) and the south (Moorside) of this route are not marked as being so.

Is this just because my local council haven't marked the route on the map or is it because these are not public routes for motor vehicles?

I note quite a lot of roads/tracks on the OS maps I have with red dots which the local councils have not indicated as for use with motor vehicles for example

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=38 ... 36572&lm=0

On my 2016 OS map, the dots are RED not green so assume they are red please for this example.

I have not been to any of them so I dont know if there is signage at their entrance. Is it as simple as black and white?

Thanks for any clarity on this.

Post subject: Re: Red Dots
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:00 pm 
300 cc

No certainly not black and white. Far from it!
Dots are green on 1:25k maps and red on 1:50k maps. However if council say it's not for motors then I'd say you can't ride it.

Speak to your local TRF group if no one posts here. They will have latests info as some may have had restrictions put on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:55 pm 

lovely part of cumbria that is mate.

The route you highlight on the map is a UCR. Ride it....You are allowed to...

Its has a sign at the start saying not suitble for heavy goods vehicles thats all.

You can drive that in a car its just a flat peice of road...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:02 pm 

Re the second link you posted

Grasshill Causeway - Ride it.

It is the highest legal through-road in the UK and the views are breath taking..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:04 pm 
400 cc

The 2nd part of your question "Colbury End" highest [elevation] Un Classified Road in England, I use it regularly.. ferfectly legal.

The first part of your question, I would suggest the 2 lanes you say are not classified could be because the part with RED DOTS is not contituous all the way through, and the white road continuation may not have vehicular rights.

Just my opinion......no doubt my superiors will be along shortly to shoot me down in flames or just delete it.

Hope the information helps anyway.

Rod Jackson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:08 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Rode both over the past year, yes they were legal then and great routes in my opinion.

Perhaps one of the Cumbria folk will be along soon to confirm latest news if there has been any change.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:05 pm 
80 cc

Thanks guys.

I'm planning, or rather organising for when I'm fit to ride again. I have a feeling it's going to be one of my better winter biking years lol.

I looked on Trailwise after looking at the CCC website (and posting) and it confirmed and answered quite a few of my questions but I think ultimately, I need to join a few locals and be shown the ropes and trails. I just need to get a bit of experience off road before playing catch up on a longer run.

Thanks again guys.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:42 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

The lane that you referred to is one that I use and you can see how it connects in to some others that I use in the area by going to ViewRanger and searching for my name, some in the Peaks and two in the Lakes.

I shall probably offer to lead a run out up there again next spring, just keep a watch on the Forum, especially for the Manchester Group.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:25 am 
80 cc

I'll keep an eye out. :)

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]