TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Who should lead the TRF?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:27 pm 
200 cc

Hi Guys and Girls

I’ve thought long and hard about writing this as I have no real desire to put myself forwards as a magnet for some of the hate that flies around this forum, however I can’t really look at myself in the mirror if I don’t say something.

The AGM is coming up. Just like last year, and the year before it, and probably many years before I became a member of the TRF, opinions are rife and emotions are high. That’s understandable. However amongst those emotions, where are the facts?

What has been achieved?

New website - overseen by Mario
New brand - initiated by Mario
Hexham Lane crowdfunding raised £14k - initiated by John V
Hexham Lane TRO overturned - led by John V
TRF shop - overseen by Mario
Membership up from approx 3000 to 4000 (£45k) - led by Mario
32 TROs successfully fought - led by John V
+ more that I may not be aware of

What has lagged behind?

Membership IT system
Forum update
Trail next steps
+ more that I may not be aware of

Of course I’m not impartial here, I’ve been involved in lots of the above and I’m proud to have done a good job, but I don’t do this alone. I work with Directors who have the vision and leadership to direct their team to get stuff done and move the TRF forwards. Their hand has been in all of this.

Sure they don’t always get it right. Mistakes have been made. Not everyone will agree with the decisions that have been made. But the point is, at least decisions ARE being made and they are being done in the best interests of the club. Those who make these decisions have the courage to stand by them and learn from them. Those who look to always make the right decision often never make a decision at all, though they probably have lots of opinions.

This forum has become a beating ground where very little is celebrated. When was the last time anything positive was said about the TRF? Despite all the good work that has been achieved, who on this forum has held up their hand and said well done? Every single week positive stories are published about the TRF yet the only comments here are to highlight problems or mistakes. What kind of culture does that create? Do you reap what you sow?

Ask yourself, who would willingly stand up and volunteer to lead this club knowing that this was what awaits them? Look yourself in the mirror, would you? At work are you motivated by the crap that is fired your way? Is it any different here?

I don’t really expect this to change everyone’s opinion, a lot have made their minds up already. However, what I see on here really is only one side of the story and this is my small attempt to try and put forwards the other side.

If you want change, that’s fine, but be clear about what the alternative is and be prepared to step up to take the place of those who you disagree with. It’s easy to talk, action is hard. Action takes courage and has consequences.

I’m spending the rest of the day to work on a campaign to get people to object to the Washgate TRO which incidentally was commissioned by John V.

:-)

TRF communications contractor on the hunt for good photos, films and stories. If you've been riding and have a tale to tell, I'm interested. Drop me an email greg@trf.org.uk

The Green Lane Relay: https://vimeo.com/96521474

Post subject: Re: Who should lead the TRF?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:37 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings Greg,

Let me please say that I commend your stepping up to the podium, let me also say that your work is appreciated and that it has modernised the TRF.

Let me also say that I do commend much of the work done by the Directors BUT i abhor the manner in which they do it.

Many of us have stood or do stand in their shoes, yes it is easy to criticise and it hurts those who are being criticised - I know I have been and I am there too.

It is not easy but it is up to me to explain my actions, my reasoning, etc in a respectful way. I might be frustrated at repeating myself but I have to look again at how I tried to get my ideas projected to the receiver.

If I fail to communicate then it might be because;

1. the person receiving the message simply refuses to accept or consider to accept my point of view irrespective of how good that objective might be - result is that we will have to agree to disagree
2. alternatively I need to reflect upon my originally chosen method/s of putting forward may view and to change it accordingly, we might still disagree but respectfully disagree
3. my revised chosen method might gain agreement but then again we might be in stage 1
4. if stage 1 is as far as I can take my ideas then I either have to drop those ideas altogether, revise and represent them or seek a majority decision
5. if I impose my decision then I must accept that I could be voted out of office, resign or drop the idea

In our current situation I see the problem being that the communicator has not thought through their communications and or actions and has presented their views in an unprofessional and disrespectful manner to the receiver.

We all work to a set of social and business like set of rules, one can not under our circumstance change those rules without the acceptance of the social group, it is called Democracy. Under our current climate the Directors, I use the word collectively, have chosen to impose a new set of Articles which;

1. have not been discussed with the Membership
2. have not been ratified by the Membership, so have not been accepted by the Membership
3. the rules of the new Articles, called Temporary on the document, have not been followed but have been manipulated to suit the Director/s
4. any questions by the Membership have been summarily removed from public view of the Membership which has lead to questions of collusion, secrecy and unfair manipulation

I lay my cards on the table here, I do strenuously propose to Vote against one particular Director being reappointed, fact. I do this with much regret, I do believe that he has worked hard but I do also believe that he should not be in a Directors position if he can not control the manner in which he communicates with fellow Members. Yes, I have discussed this with him on a personal one to one basis so he is fully aware of my feelings.

I will not accept and can not accept the responses that have been made to and of me, nor will I stand by and watch others be treated in such an undemocratic and rude manner. I propose to make my dissent felt through the rules of this Fellowship and I shall abide by such rules until such time as I feel that I can not support the Group decision and therefore I will at that point resign my Membership. - edited just noted a spelling error.

I do not want to take on his position, nor any of the positions, as I think that there are others who could better do the job if they so chose - but - if nobody else suitable steps up to the podium I will offer my services until such time as another person comes along.

I have tried to keep this response brief and I have tried not to personalise my reply other than to explain my point of view.

Kind regards, not a simple TTFN on this occasion as it demands greater respect.

Hugh.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:54 pm 
200 cc

Well said Greg!

While the current setup is not perfect, it is still evolving and doing good work for the TRF - despite the highly emotive comments on this forum.

There is a plan, a strategy and people willing to do the work to see things through.

To the nay-sayers I say 'be careful what you wish for'.

Derek Vansittart
TRF member
SW London & Surrey Group

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:26 pm 
650 cc Monster

Location: great er manchester seeing the light through the pouring rain
Hillary Clinton I believe is looking for a job, on a more serious note I agree wholeheartedly with Hugh as do the majority of members that I know personally and that's quite a few.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:05 pm 
650 cc Monster

mudeevee wrote:
Well said Greg!

While the current setup is not perfect, it is still evolving and doing good work for the TRF - despite the highly emotive comments on this forum.

There is a plan, a strategy and people willing to do the work to see things through.

To the nay-sayers I say 'be careful what you wish for'.

Derek Vansittart
TRF member
SW London & Surrey Group

Is this a threat? Time i had a rant.

what we wish fro is a democratically run fellowship with leaders who show and practice integrity.

We want sound factual answers to our questions without spin, repetition and sarcasm.

We want members recognition where its due and we do not want manipulation and lies when only straight honest answers (right or wrong ) will suffice. Eg 21 days for an AGM

“ Directors duty to call an Annual General Meeting
27. (1) The Directors must call an annual general meeting ……..

Notice of General Meetings
28. (1) the minimum periods of notice required to hold a general meeting of the company are
(a) twenty-one clear days for an annual general meeting……..
(b) fourteen clear days for all other general meetings
(2) The notice must specify the date, time and place of the meeting and the general nature of the business to be transacted If the meeting is to be an annual general meeting then the notice must say so. The notice must also contain a statement setting out the right of members to appoint a proxy under section324 of the Companies Act 2006 and article 37.”

You only know what you are fed by the marketing and spin machine that is now the TRF Board of Directors. EG. Crowd funding was not initiated by JV it was greg...well done Greg. e.g. name the 32 lanes......no answer.

When members of 30 plus years standing get called Trolls and keyboard warriors, time wasters and naysayers.

JV is right ....i didn't save any lanes in 2015 2016.

instead i spent my "available hours" defending ordinary members from concentrated attacks by two Directors in particular. defending unjust director actions and apologising for them on this forum and elsewhere. Negotiating reconciliations between directors and groups or individuals. Picking up the pieces of the disgusting way Fred Ellison and Arnold Brewer was treated. Defending Trail. Organising Conferences only to be humiliated publicly in order to further damage my reputation. i arranged for nearly 60 people to turn up and discuss what we could do in the Peaks. Most went away wondering why they came, my idea;s remain to my briefcase.

This is not about me and what i want from the TRF this is about what i and others want for the TRF.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:17 pm 
650 cc Monster

Location: great er manchester seeing the light through the pouring rain
Well put Mike.

That is a very dignified response from a very decent fellow in the face of such nasty provocation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:14 pm 
80 cc

Hi Fellas,

Well I didn't think it possible but, I agree with ALL the above posts!

Does that quality me as a moderator?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:58 pm 
80 cc

Hugh Cleary wrote:
Greetings Greg,

Let me please say that I commend your stepping up to the podium, let me also say that your work is appreciated and that it has modernised the TRF.

Let me also say that I do commend much of the work done by the Directors BUT i abhor the manner in which they do it.

Many of us have stood or do stand in their shoes, yes it is easy to criticise and it hurts those who are being criticised - I know I have been and I am there too.

It is not easy but it is up to me to explain my actions, my reasoning, etc in a respectful way. I might be frustrated at repeating myself but I have to look again at how I tried to get my ideas projected to the receiver.

1. the person receiving the message simply refuses to accept or consider to accept my point of view irrespective of how good that objective might be - result is that we will have to agree to disagree
2. alternatively I need to reflect upon my originally chosen method/s of putting forward may view and to change it accordingly, we might still disagree but respectfully disagree
3. my revised chosen method might gain agreement but then again we might be in stage 1
4. if stage 1 is as far as I can take my ideas then I either have to drop those ideas altogether, revise and represent them or seek a majority decision
5. if I impose my decision then I must accept that I could be voted out of office, resign or drop the idea

In our current situation I see the problem being that the communicator has not thought through their communications and or actions and has presented their views in an unprofessional and disrespectful manner to the receiver.

We all work to a set of social and business like set of rules, one can not under our circumstance change those rules without the acceptance of the social group, it is called Democracy. Under our current climate the Directors, I use the word collectively, have chosen to impose a new set of Articles which;

2. have not been ratified by the Membership, so have not been accepted by the Membership
3. the rules of the new Articles, called Temporary on the document, have not been followed but have been manipulated to suit the Director/s
4. any questions by the Membership have been summarily removed from public view of the Membership which has lead to questions of collusion, secrecy and unfair manipulation

I lay my cards on the table here, I do strenuously propose to Vote against one particular Director being reappointed, fact. I do this with much regret, I do believe that he has worked hard but I do also believe that he should not be in a Directors position if he can not control the manner in which he communicates with fellow Members. Yes, I have discussed this with him on a personal one to one basis so he is fully aware of my feelings.

I will not accept and can not accept the responses that have been made to and of me, nor will I stand by and watch others be treated in such an undemocratic and rude manner. I propose to make my dissent felt through the rules of this Fellowship and I shall abide by such rules until such time as I feel that I can not support the Group decision and therefore I will at that point resign my Membership. - edited just noted a spelling error.

I do not want to take on his position, nor any of the positions, as I think that there are others who could better do the job if they so chose - but - if nobody else suitable steps up to the podium I will offer my services until such time as another person comes along.

I have tried to keep this response brief and I have tried not to personalise my reply other than to explain my point of view.

Hugh.

An excellent and well thought out response Hugh, there is no doubt that much of the work Greg has done has been of great benefit and that has been lead by the Directors, but one in particular should not be in post as he is unable to accept any contrary opinion at all. The proposed AGM must now be cancelled as it is contrary to Company Law and cannot legally proceed - I have asked for information from the directors on this , but despite reminders have heard nothing. Clearly they fear I am right and have taken a vow of silence , we need now an EGM to thrash this out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:30 pm 
125cc

arnold.brewer wrote:
Hugh Cleary wrote:
Greetings Greg,

Hugh.

An excellent and well thought out response Hugh, there is no doubt that much of the work Greg has done has been of great benefit and that has been lead by the Directors, but one in particular should not be in post as he is unable to accept any contrary opinion at all. The proposed AGM must now be cancelled as it is contrary to Company Law and cannot legally proceed - I have asked for information from the directors on this , but despite reminders have heard nothing. Clearly they fear I am right and have taken a vow of silence , we need now an EGM to thrash this out.

Maybe they're waiting for legal advice?

Kawasaki ER6n
Yamaha Serow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:24 pm 
125cc

I'll start by admitting I'm a cynic.

I agree wholeheartedly with Hugh and Mike.

Arnold, the AGM may or may not be 'legal'. However, if the meeting goes in favour of the status quo it will be deemed to be correct, if it goes against then I would bet on the current bunch ruling that nothing decided will be legally binding.

Just my thoughts...

Craig Layfield, soon to be Chair, Oxford TRF.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next