TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Road Legal Tyre Choices
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:26 am 
125cc

They sound Chinese and probably won't be of amazing quality. I currently have Pirelli MT21 "rallycross" tyres but the rear is almost worn out, I was thinking of going for this Michelin

http://www.motoblouz.co.uk/tyre-micheli ... 0wodJW8N5w

Very long and hard to sum up name though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:54 pm 
125cc

Comp 4 road legal?
I have one on the front and it passed the MoT. I fitted it thinking it was legal so I must have read it somewhere?
On the road it behaves at least as well as the AC10 I had previously and I prefer it on the trails.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:22 pm 
300 cc

Michelin comp 3, comp 6, and comp 4 are all FIM spec and fully road legal. they are supplied (or were) on all new husqvarnas
the michelin AC 10 is a mx tyre but is dot stamped and fully road legal.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:10 pm 
300 cc

As previously noted if a tyre has a European E mark, or American DOT (or DOE) or the Japanese JIS stamp on the side wall it is road legal.

Some that I have used that are all road legal

Maxxis Cross IT
Maxxis Cross SI
Pirelli Scorpion XC Mid Hard
Mitas CO2 (bit controversial as previously marketed as a "road legal MX tyre" but it is E marked)

http://www.nomadracing.co.uk No Byways were harmed in the making of this blog!

2006 KTM 450 Rally
2011 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 Honda CB500X

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:44 pm 
80 cc

Has anyone used the more trail oriented tyres, such as the Bridgestone Trail Wing 301/302, or Maxxis C6006 ...?

There's probably a Dunlop equivelent but I'm not sure which one it is! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:56 pm 
80 cc

My most recent bike came with Maxxis enduro tyres (std KTM fitment), quite good both on and off road and kept their tread shape well as they wore, for replacement tyres I usualy go for Michelin comp 4 or 6 fronts they seem to be able to cope with most surfaces (comp 3 rears are great but wear rapidly) and for rear AC10 cheap and does the job or Pirelli XC mid hard grippy, hard wearing and take a huge amount of abuse so ideal for larger bikes and sold as road legal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:34 pm 
80 cc

Continental TKC 80 Twinduro
Mitchelin Baja Rear
Mitchelin Desert Front
Mitchelin AC10 Rear
Mitchelin AC10 Front
Mitas E09 Rear
Mitas Eo9 Front
Trelleborg T913 Front
Trelleborg T914 Front
Trelleborg T994 Front
Trelleborg T434 Front
Trelleborg T913 Rear
Trelleborg T915 Rear
Trelleborg T644 Army Special

I use the TKC 80's and will always stick with them, because: softer tyres with more traction, different tread patterns or mousse's won't turn me into Graham Jarvis.

Reason i chose these tyres: same reason Ewan McGregor & Charley Boorman chose them for a 19,000 mile round the world trip.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e28/a ... zeemc6.jpg

Tyre threads are like oil threads.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:48 pm 
300 cc

Spoke with the local traffic police office trainer yesterday

Tyres basic rules.

Must NOT have "NHS" Not to Highway Standard" stamped/moulded into the side wall.

Must HAVE: MST and or an "E" mark Stamped/moulded into the side wall.

The current MOT test states the following:

Examples of unsuitable tyres:
a. side car tyres or car tyres on a solo machine
(note side car outfits may be fitted with ‘solo’
type tyres on any wheel);
b. Motocross or similar tyres, i.e. tyres where the
space between tread blocks is substantially
greater than the size of the blocks themselves;
which do not have MST (multi service tyre) with
an ‘E’ in a circle or an ‘e’ in a rectangle moulded
into or on to the tyre wall

All other stamps meaningless and the tyre must adhere to the following up-to-date MOT test standards...

Direct LINK here (click on)

###########################
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 2-vehicles

Make certain you go to the OFFICIAL .GOV web site and check the rules have not changed as they change something almost every month while we stay in the EU.

Police will look for the NHS stamp and on MX type tyres to show they are unsuitable for road use and also look for the "MST" and/or "E" stamps to show they ARE suitable for road use.....and check for wear/damage as any other car/bike tyre.

Must also conform the Road Traffic Act in that it is a pneumatic tyre inflated with air/nitrogen via a valve that can also let air out so the tyre pressure can be adjusted. Apparently as long as you have a valve where you can inflate the tyre it does not seem to matter what is also inside it..or rather they probably would not bother to look except in the case of an accident.
----------------------------------------------------------
Statutory Instruments
1986 No. 1078

ROAD TRAFFIC
The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

pneumatic tyre

a tyre which—
(a) is provided with, or together with the wheel upon which it is mounted forms, a continuous closed chamber inflated to a pressure substantially exceeding atmospheric pressure when the tyre is in the condition in which it is normally used, but is not subjected to any load;
(b) is capable of being inflated and deflated without removal from the wheel or vehicle; and
(c) is such that, when it is deflated and is subjected to a normal load, the sides of the tyre collapse.

--------------------------------------------------------

Quentionable approach: is that over the legality of thick inner tubes (Some are NHS), other solid mousse type inserts and rim sealing inner tubes, puncture repairs.

If you have an accident on the road then the use of these, just like under inflation/over inflation outside of the manufacturers specifications for the use of the tyre on the road...the use of whatever will be taken into account when deciding the reason for any accident.

Although when on an unsurfaced lane lower inflation levels are recommended by manufacturers for tyre performance. The issue arises when you emerge back onto the surfaced roads.

My personal thoughts are that a properly inflated road legal trail/enduro rear tyre is safer than a soft trials tyre above 30mph.

However the new tranch of police "traffic" officers is not as well trained as previously and having been stopped by two dedicated motorcycle traffic police while riding my KTM EXC during a local motorcycle speed awaireness initiative (I live on a well known motorcycle road with lots of accidents).
The officers said my speedo was illegal (does not work unless the front wheel is turning)
The officers said my plastic (KTM OE) petrol tank was illegal
The officers said my (KTM OE) exhaust pipe was illegal
The officers said my wavey brake discs were illegal
The officers said I needed rear view mirrors
The officers said I needed indicators

I put them right on all those issues....

Meanwhile on the Cannington bypass where I was stopped doing 45mph in a 60mph zone, the usual Sunday riders were speeding past loudly at well over 60mph....

They didnt check the engine and frame numbers on my bike that I had picked up the day before (Saturday) and had a alloy number plate with stick on numbers, no ignition lock and no tax disc displayed.

Indeed they didnt bother with a PNC check on the registration (Not yet registered in my name) and didnt bother to check the engine and frame numbers matched the registration.

Considder this for a while and considder how many trail bikes are stolen and what you would think about the actions of the "Police Traffic Officers" had your bike been stolen recently.

Standard have dropped and some may recall the issue I and others had trying to get the police to take action on an obviously stolen KTM EXC advertised on e-bay.

Yet some nimby landowner can get the police out to harrass and issue s59 Police warnings to respectable and considderate trail riders for using a totally legal ROW and lie to the local Council and NP Authorities without fear or repercussions.

It does make me angry.... ohh I seem to have gone orf on one again... :roll:

2005 KTM 525MXC (34,000 miles so far)
2005 KTM 250EXC (11,500 miles so far)
BMW R100 awaiting time to convert to 1980's HPN GS PD Replica.
All useful parts wanted ;)
Need :USD DRZ E front end complete & GS petrol tank.

Last edited by ANDY.T on Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Road Legal Tyre Choices
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:34 am 
400 cc

ANDY.T wrote:
Spoke with the local traffic police office trainer yesterday

Tyres basic rules.

Must NOT have "NHS" Not to Highway Standard" stamped/moulded into the side wall.

However the current MOT test states the following:

b. Motocross or similar tyres, i.e. tyres where the
space between tread blocks is substantially
greater than the size of the blocks themselves;
which do not have MST (multi service tyre) with
an ‘E’ in a circle or an ‘e’ in a rectangle moulded
into or on to the tyre wall

All other stamps meaningless and the tyre must adhere to the following up-to-date MOT test standards...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 2-vehicles

Make certain you go to the OFFICIAL .GOV web site and check the rules have not changed as they change something almost every month while we stay in the EU.

Police will look for the NHS stamp and on MX type tyres also look for the "MST" and/or "E" stamps and check for wear/damage as any other car/bike tyre.

Must also conform the Road Traffic Act in that it is a pneumatic tyre inflated with air/nitrogen via a valve that can also let air out so the tyre pressure can be adjusted. Apparently as long as you have a valve where you can inflate the tyre it does not seem to matter what is also inside it..or rather they probably would not bother to look except in the case of an accident.

Quentionable approach: is that over the legality of thick inner tubes (Some are NHS), other solid mousse type inserts and rim sealing inner tubes, puncture repairs.

If you have an accident on the road then the use of these, just like under inflation/over inflation outside of the manufacturers specifications for the use of the tyre on the road...the use of whatever will be taken into account when deciding the reason for any accident.

Although when on an unsurfaced lane lower inflation levels are recommended by manufacturers for tyre performance. The issue arises when you emerge back onto the surfaced roads.

My personal thoughts are that a properly inflated road legal trail/enduro rear tyre is safer than a soft trials tyre above 30mph.

Very good info Andy

All is well until you are involved in a serious or fatal (not you) accident on the road

In that instance you and your bike will be assessed to the n'th degree by the Police

Any irregular items concerning your bike will be examined to determine causes of the accident and whether a successful prosecution can be brought against you for the accident and you can do a stretch in jail

Nowadays I prefer to use a proper road legal trail bike like the DR 350 or XR 400 with all relevant lighting,mirrors,illuminated speedo,indicators, reflectors,horns, sidelights,proper number plate etc and with road legal tyres, like MT21 inflated to 20psi in winter and 25psi in summer - the loss in grip I get around by avoiding the sloppy bits as much as possible.

If it goes pear shaped, with the Police - I would prefer my bike to be fully legal and above board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:32 pm 
300 cc

On a different tangent bear in mind my te300 weighs 97 kg. Tyres I use are Michelin comp 6f and comp 3r. Put these on your Lardy DRZ 400 at 135kg then they ain't gonna last as well or perform as well as on my bike.

Remember tyre choice and opinions are like A holes. Everyone has their own!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3