TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Where to start? Which bike?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:32 pm 
50 cc

Hiya, I'm also new and am looking at a Dr250 1994 if there is any advice out there?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:48 pm 
200 cc

This is what we posted on our local group site.............

This one comes up at least once a month. In fact it came up at last nights club meeting and again this morning..........

These are the thoughts we had last night. Update or add your comments if you feel differently.........

many people new to the TRf have little or no experience with bikes at all. Some have loads of road riding under their wheels - so what is good advice, for a first bike for Trail riding?

One of the things I've seen is that someone's 'first' bike really is their First - they use that bike to learn how to ride and often swap it within a year when they have more experience and can make choices on what suits them. Others 'first' bike is very quickly followed by another because they bought a 'dog' at their first go (I know I did)!

Often the first bike is chosen on budget and many have some very tight constraints in this regard. I'd recommend keeping the initial budget to around £2000 - anything less and you are likely to buy a real horror show. I'd also look at 4 strokes only as an initial purchase (2T's are fine, but even better when you are used to the road work that has to be done when trail riding in the UK)...........

So given a 2K budget and 4T, what fits the bill for someone new riding unsurfaced roads............... these are not listed in order of preference

1. Suzuki DRZ 400.
Pro's - Plenty of them around. Reliable, Robust, easy to maintain (long service intervals), spares easily available, very capable bike.
Cons - Heavy, horrid colour that yellow!

2, AJP 230cc (there are a number of options with AJP)
Pro's - Light, reliable (air cooled engine), quite a few on 2nd hand market. easy to maintain, easy to ride
Cons - Some say they are underpowered, typical riders wear funny clothes!

3. KTM EXC-F 250 (as late a model as you can get for 2K)
Pro's - Light, availability, well thought of endure bike that is road legal (no buggering around to get an MOT), reliable if maintained, durable, good build quality.
Cons - High seat for shorter people, do require maintaining, Orange!

4. Yamaha WR250F. Alloy frame if you can get one.......
Pro's - Fairly light and well regarded endure/trails bike. Quite a few of the older ones around for reasonable money.
Con's - Make sure it is an OK one from the start - some old dogs out there, so be careful when choosing a particular bike.

Things to avoid (in my opinion):

1. Honda's!!! - people (and I was one) assume that all Honda's are made equal and all are bulletproof - they are NOT! The CRF's come in a number of types and sizes:

CRF250R / 450R - These are motorcross bikes, used for flying around an MX track at perilous speeds and heights. They are not suitable for converting to road legal trail bikes by someone new to Trail riding.

CRF250X / 450X - These are updated R modes, made 'softer' for Enduro. While they can be made road legal fairly easily, my experience with one tells me they need loads of maintaining, loads of TLC and even then they ley you down. Give em a go if you are brave and have deep pockets.

CRF250L - The most recent 'dual sport' available from Honda. They are cheap to buy and run. they 'look' like their endure/mx cousins, but that is about it. Heavy, underpowered, floppy - these are three words I've often heard said about these. That said, there are many that simply love em! Just not me!

2. Buying a 2nd hand bike in Wales!

That's it from me for now. Feel free to add to the 'good' and 'bad' list. I've tried to be objective, based on my experiences - please try to keep comments useful for new members.

Thanks
Derek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:47 pm 
650 cc Monster

Why oh why is there such a gap between, say, my 400EXC and the specific trail bikes?

My 400 is a great compromise without the extremeness of the other EXC's but then the drop down in ability to the pure trail bikes is huge.
Where is an AJP 350? That would probably be perfect.
They also need to be full size, at 6'3, bikes like the Freeride would look like pushbikes. Also the CRF250L They need masses doing to them to make them trail ready and are still too low of footpeg if you have any ruts.

Or a battery powered trail bike that will do 50mph and 150 miles between charges. Now that would be perfection.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:37 pm 
200 cc

davidscott wrote:
Why oh why is there such a gap between, say, my 400EXC and the specific trail bikes?

My 400 is a great compromise without the extremeness of the other EXC's but then the drop down in ability to the pure trail bikes is huge.
Where is an AJP 350? That would probably be perfect.
They also need to be full size, at 6'3, bikes like the Freeride would look like pushbikes. Also the CRF250L They need masses doing to them to make them trail ready and are still too low of footpeg if you have any ruts.

Or a battery powered trail bike that will do 50mph and 150 miles between charges. Now that would be perfection.

Not sure how you are helping people choose their first trail bike?

But thanks for being so positive!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:51 pm 
650 cc Monster

I am agreeing with the comments about the gap between enduro and trail bikes and the problems they can both bring. Not that complicated was it? :D

Just added my 2p about what would be nice to have available.

Sorry for any distress and upset caused ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:52 pm 
80 cc

Excellent breakdown mudeevee! Thanks for that, and thanks for everyone's else opinion.
I've decided to focus on getting a ktm 250, to be honest I've heard very little negatives about them, apart from the bloody awful color. The only thing I have been told is stay away from the 2009 era, but I don't know much about engines so I dare not risk it. If anyone else can give me anymore information on that it'd be much appreciated.
This decision isn't set in stone so could change depending on availability and costs, but hopefully I'll manage to source a bike and get out with some of you. Can't wait to be honest.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:56 pm 
400 cc

Just get a XR250 or 400 and learn how to kickstart a bike, as you'll need that knack when the battery goes awol on a KTM :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:55 am 
650 cc Monster

I don't get this KTM battery thing.

When I do the horse trials, I can easily need to use the starter 50 or 60 times or more in a day and, as long as you keep your battery and connections in good nick, they are fine. There are 420 riders at this weekend's event so lots of stop starts.

Kickstarts are no good when your left foot is in a rut :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:38 am 
650 cc Monster

DO NOT GET A KICKSTART ONLY BIKE ! There are MANY instances when you will not be able physically to kick your bike when it stalls, as a newbie these will be many more than an experienced rider, I ride a lot, I would never be without my Leccy leg,people who own XR's have a very rose tinted view of the eighties...things are much better these days...especially the music..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:14 am 
650 cc Monster

Joel wrote:
DO NOT GET A KICKSTART ONLY BIKE ! There are MANY instances when you will not be able physically to kick your bike when it stalls, as a newbie these will be many more than an experienced rider, I ride a lot, I would never be without my Leccy leg,people who own XR's have a very rose tinted view of the eighties...things are much better these days...especially the music..

:D :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next