TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fuel tap
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:50 pm 

Hello Everyone

I have let my WR sit for ages now and the fuel tap started leaking. I took it apart and cleaned it out as it was a bit green and powdery. I have noticed the two mesh type fuel strainers that are on the tap that goes inside the tank are brittle and falling apart.

I dont think you can buy these? I mean do they need to be on or can i just run some kind of filter

Post subject: Re: Fuel tap
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:07 pm 
200 cc

I would ask how many times you ever cleaned/changed the strainers before the bike was stored?

I had WRs for several years and never did it once. Only an opinion based on previous practice, but I'd say it was no biggie to go without them. Fit an additional inline filter if you are worried.

Colin B

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:23 pm 

with you mate. i never cleaner them i must say. my attention was only drawn to the tap as it started leaking like.i notice they sell after market taps but i worry about the quality of those

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:25 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

I think that this will become a regular problem in the future as the 'new' petrol contains additives that attacks plastic and grp type components.

It is a good service point to check these filters perhaps once a year any way as they can become blocked as with any filter/tap in an open line refuelling context. I recently replaced the tap on my Beta Alp 4.0 for one with a reserve feature so that I would be alerted to low fuel before the inevitable running totally dry.

I bought my replacement tap from Steve Goode and received excellent service so perhaps make enquires for a suitable replacement through his company, http://stevegoodemotorcycles.weebly.com

You could just fit an inline filter as previously suggested.

TTFN

Hugh.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]