TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Viewranger, does anyone use it??
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:13 pm 
50 cc

View ranger, im from cumbria and downloaded the app but im not sure if im not working it correctly or what as i cant find any local routes on there the only route i can see is one at herts but thats obviously not much use to me

At this point im assuming no one has recorded any local routes to me and uploaded them

Any thoughts on the matter?? Is view ranger worth the hassle??

Post subject: Re: Viewranger, does anyone use it??
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:53 pm 
125cc

I use viewranger and think its great. I dont use it to use uploaded routes publically though. I installed the OS maps and then use it to find ROWs that way

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:57 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

I use ViewRanger to post up rides although I do not use a GPX gizmo :shock:

I have posted ups few routes into the public domain so either look for my name or look for "Keswick and Dockray Circular" which should come up if you locate Dockray and zoom in, my emblem is Muffin the Mule.

I posted it for somebody who requested a route in the area but I have never received any feed back from them. I have put others around the Castleton and Hope in the Peak District. I think that folk might not bother as my routes have been downloaded but nobody seems to give any feedback so why bother :roll: :roll: :roll:

Try contacting your local Group;

Regional Rep: Roger Harris
Meeting Details: Meet 2nd Tuesday of the month at 7:30pm @ The Cross Keys Hotel, 1 Park Rd, Milnthorpe LA7 7AB, 01539 562115
Contact Details:
roger.harris1@sky.com
01539 725198

Let me know if you need any help.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:23 pm 
300 cc

matthew172 wrote:
View ranger, im from cumbria and downloaded the app but im not sure if im not working it correctly or what as i cant find any local routes on there the only route i can see is one at herts but thats obviously not much use to me

At this point im assuming no one has recorded any local routes to me and uploaded them

Any thoughts on the matter?? Is view ranger worth the hassle??

I'm the same as Craig - I use Viewranger to plot my routes using OS info, rather than someone else's tracks.

It is useful if you are with someone who knows the area as the app will track so you can save for use later.

Main problem with Viewranger is keeping enough battery power in your phone for a day's ride, as the GPS really saps it.
I've now gone on to Garmin for this reason, but I do prefer Viewranger, and I tend to plot my routes on VR, then port them to the Garmin.

Hugh:
Please don't stop posting routes - I am one of the downloaders, but haven't had the time to explore your routes. Partly because when I do venture into your neck of the woods, it's with the High Peaks and Potteries crowd, who know their way round pretty well :D

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:31 pm 
80 cc

i too use it to track routes and log the ride's we do
and last time i was out it helped me navigate to a route i wanted
and it always good to to use a screen shot of your ride in a post or report

"I have Duct Tape, Zip Ties . Let's ride"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:19 pm 
80 cc

I use it too, like craig, with os maps downloaded. Landranger 1:50k for cumbria is around 8quid to download and then viewranger is absolutely great! Best, arne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:12 am 
125cc

I also use it. I generally plot a route either on the website & load to my phone or directly from the phone screen. I always plan my route on OS maps (paper) & transpose it onto Viewranger. I then use the free Freecycle map to keep me on the planned route. Freecycle map doesnt show rights of way like the OS map does. The OS maps are available to download though if you want to see your position on an OS map format.

Phone battery is hammered but I have a cig lighter installed & run it on that with my phone in a ToPeak Drybag cycle phone holder.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:39 pm 
300 cc

ViewRanger is probably the most user friendly "starter" for anyone who already has a mobile phone with a built in GPS.

Basically you don't need a mobile phone signal for the GPS/satnav app to work.
The app is FREE...
OS maps are relatively cheap and I have the whole of the U.K. At 1:50000 that's perfect for me.

There are plenty of FREE maps avaiable to use and download to the phone from the ViewRanger (VR) http://www.my.viewranger.com web site.

Setting up the handset is simple. Plenty of advice and help from the web site or on the phone help.

I can quickly and simply plan a route using os maps on the my.viewranger.com site and save the route to the phone.

I can then either use my OS UK map or I can "make" a map using one of the free open source maps (cycle map is best) that shows all the roads and most of the lanes simply by highlighting the map squares and download them for off line use on my phone. If I then view and zoom in all the sat image blocks along the route this is stored on the phone memory for 90 days ! FREE... and you can swap between the two on the phone even with no phone signal.

In simple terms the route you made using the free on line mapping is a series of points joined by a line and the software simply fits this to the map you view on your phone and so it follows the roads/lanes shown on the original map you used to plan your route.

Once you learn how to use the toggle to switch between manual point selection and the options of by foot.cycle.vehicle then this fills in the gaps.

It takes a few tries to know how to do it quickly but if I can do it then anyone can..

You can also keep your phone in the top pocket or top of your back pack and set it to record your route when out on a ride.

It takes roughly 10-20 seconds to sync this route to your my.vewranger.com free account so you can keep it to try yourself.

You can download other routes from people you trust have got it right and navigate yourself.

Any no tech savvy person can learn how to use this excellent system quickly.

I got a waterproof handle bar mount for my daughters discarded after upgrade iPhone3 and now iPhone 4. It.s very good value for money, keeps the phone safe and has been under water several times with no issues. I also got the charger that takes power directly from the battery or from your front head lamp supply live feed and earth. Took 5 mins to fit, is power wash safe and keeps the phone fully charged. It is only a single clip to take off the bike and release the power cable. Phone cases available for most phone handsets.

I used to have Memory Map but got pissed with the changing of versions and having to buy all the maps again. ViewRanger does everything you need it to and does it well.

I've had it on the 525 for 5 years now, sun, rain, snow, mud, rocks and it's worked well.

I would suggest that if you have a mobile with a built in GPS (you can use a Bluetooth GPS link) then try the free app with the free maps first..it's free so what have you got to loose?
If you like it then get the OS maps later..

I have even used it for off road routes in Crete with the free maps and sat image and it worked perfectly..

2005 KTM 525MXC (34,000 miles so far)
2005 KTM 250EXC (11,500 miles so far)
BMW R100 awaiting time to convert to 1980's HPN GS PD Replica.
All useful parts wanted ;)
Need :USD DRZ E front end complete & GS petrol tank.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:21 pm 
300 cc

It's the best option to me.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]