TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Husky TE310/SWM300??
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:47 pm 
200 cc

Well, I had a secret urge to go for a rs500 but this thread has taken my plans and burnt them :cry:

I don't want a bike that's on intensive care, I don't want an expensive racer, I want an inexpensive trail bike that can cope with 60 road miles to get me to and from a day on the trails.

I could buy new if the running costs are relatively low.

My crf250l continues to take the treatment and it's not clear which bike is the upgrade for my kind of usage.

:|

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:24 pm 
650 cc Monster

For 60 miles each way, you'll kill an enduro bike in short order.
I'd go for something that will take the road miles and accept a bit of a weight to manhandle, within reason.

I'm ok with about 30 miles or so absolute max non stop but only once a year, not week in, week out.
I don't have a lot of backside padding but have had the seat thickened. Vibration isn't a great idea either as it can set your eyeballs rattling, on knobblies for that long.
Continuous speed on the road probably isn't a good idea either although done may cite Dakar as a long ride on a constant throttle but its not a realistic comparison.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:00 pm 
125cc

60 miles each way will not kill any bike, not even a 2 stroke 50cc .....

I would say get an old but very good condition air cooled XR400.

or a 400 450 RFS KTM they are the best.

When on the road say a long carriage way as long as you vary the revs its be fine like go from 55 to 60 then back down just so it keeps the engine good, don't ask me why but singles don't like being kept still on the revs .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:04 pm 
125cc

davidscott wrote:
KTM 690 or the gorgeous new Husky 710?

Should eat the road miles and be comfy but nowhere near as heavy as the big adventure bikes.
Still heavy compared to mid size enduro bikes though but far more practical and decent service gaps for touring.
I would be tempted if I went to one bike for road and trail riding.
My lack of ability would slow me down on the nadgery stuff but I would be happy to compromise.

I have a couple of recommendations for the 701 from residents of this Parish!! My trouble is finding where I can have a test spin on one...! Suggestions anyone, nearish to Shropshire?

The 701 is probs a bit lighter than my present trailie/adv, an XR400 based trail bike from Brazil! And the 701 is easily twice the power of the NX4.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:22 pm 
125cc

Kevin Coates wrote:
Well, I had a secret urge to go for a rs500 but this thread has taken my plans and burnt them :cry:

I don't want a bike that's on intensive care, I don't want an expensive racer, I want an inexpensive trail bike that can cope with 60 road miles to get me to and from a day on the trails.

My crf250l continues to take the treatment and it's not clear which bike is the upgrade for my kind of usage.

Sorry Kevin!! ;)

Your needs sound similar to mine, but the CRF250 is too down on power for long hauls on the road from my POV, too many pies on board. I wonder what you would think on the RS650R, a tiny bit heavier than the CRF, but twice the power? Probably more reliable and less edgy than the 500...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:39 pm 
650 cc Monster

steveR wrote:
davidscott wrote:
KTM 690 or the gorgeous new Husky 710?

Should eat the road miles and be comfy but nowhere near as heavy as the big adventure bikes.
Still heavy compared to mid size enduro bikes though but far more practical and decent service gaps for touring.
I would be tempted if I went to one bike for road and trail riding.
My lack of ability would slow me down on the nadgery stuff but I would be happy to compromise.

I have a couple of recommendations for the 701 from residents of this Parish!! My trouble is finding where I can have a test spin on one...! Suggestions anyone, nearish to Shropshire?

The 701 is probs a bit lighter than my present trailie/adv, an XR400 based trail bike from Brazil! And the 701 is easily twice the power of the NX4.

If you fancy a trip to East Sussex, they have the enduro and supermoto on test but I guess it's a bit far for you. I didn't dare try it just in case.

I also stand by 60 road miles each way on an enduro bike regularly can't do it any good - it's not exactly what it's designed for as its a competition bike, not a commuter. It's doable but can't be recommended.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:42 pm 
200 cc

Just to clarify , I meant 30 miles there, 30 back.

Most bikes should do it but servicing could get expensive with the wrong machine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:55 pm 
650 cc Monster

It will be fine, as long you do it 'off road'....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:58 pm 
200 cc

steveR wrote:
Kevin Coates wrote:

Sorry Kevin!! ;)

Your needs sound similar to mine, but the CRF250 is too down on power for long hauls on the road from my POV, too many pies on board. I wonder what you would think on the RS650R, a tiny bit heavier than the CRF, but twice the power? Probably more reliable and less edgy than the 500...

:)
I am not sure I want a load more power for the trails than what crf offers. Less weight yes.
A larger engine may be less stressed on the road though.
I think the 650r could work but the weight and price are negatives.

I've pondered getting a xr400 but I don't want to end up with a restoration project.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:08 pm 
125cc

have a look for a 400 RFS ktm, they are bullet proof.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next