TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Headlights on the Trail?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:58 pm 
400 cc

Does it bother you, to see a line of headlights permanently on, threading their way along the trail?

I think it makes us more conspicuous to other country users - rightly or wrongly

Modern bikes have the lights permanently on & I don't care for if

I prefer lights off ......on the trails

It is more agreeable to my mind

What are your views ?

Post subject: Re: Headlights on the Trail?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:26 pm 
300 cc

Headlights on for me I ride with mine permantly on and when I am leading a group I like all riders to have there headlights turned on for safety . A lot of our lanes we ride are in between tight hedge rows, and most of the link up roads are very small and tight , it is nice for me as a run leader to be able to look from time to time in my small bar mounted mirror to check that the next rider is following OK etc . In the tighter lanes often all you can see is a front light , also safer for other users to see us. Never had any complaints from other users :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:25 pm 
400 cc

Blueray wrote:
Headlights on for me I ride with mine permantly on and when I am leading a group I like all riders to have there headlights turned on for safety . A lot of our lanes we ride are in between tight hedge rows, and most of the link up roads are very small and tight , it is nice for me as a run leader to be able to look from time to time in my small bar mounted mirror to check that the next rider is following OK etc . In the tighter lanes often all you can see is a front light , also safer for other users to see us. Never had any complaints from other users :D

I am with you on this. Much easier to see riders behind you when leading.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:46 pm 
200 cc

I'm for having lights on. Not for seeing better, but for being seen....
Some of our local green roads are very busy and I'm happier knowing that oncoming riders see me earlier because I have my lights on.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:41 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:26 am 
400 cc

I think headlights annoy ramblers more maybe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:21 am 

Trf hiviz jackets I seem to recall being suggested.

Lights on when leading to see those behind. Much easier.

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:29 am 
650 cc Monster

johnnyboxer wrote:
I think headlights annoy ramblers more maybe

if someone wants to get annoyed they will pick anything to get annoyed with.

i drive and ride with driving or headlights on all the time. In my view in bright light conditions the bike gets seen before the light but in dull or overcast its the light or the movement of light that is seen first.

do you remember is the Old days ( maybe 70's or early 80"s) when volvo's first started having permeant side lights.....i think its the law now in Europe for all vehicles......gets my vote.

vote for headlights i mean.....not to stay in Europe. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:48 am 
650 cc Monster

Very few modern trailbikes have headlights that stay on permanently. For example, none of the KTM EXC trailbikes, Husky FE/TE trailbikes, have headlights that stay on.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:57 am 
300 cc

Legislation and requirements: Vehicle manufacturers must fit DRL to new types of passenger car and light goods vehicle (car derived vans) type approved to European vehicle requirements from February 2011 1. In practice this means that any new model launched after this date, and many launched before, will be fitted with DRL. However, existing models on sale before this date without DRL fitted can continue to be sold and used indefinitely.
Similar requirements will apply to large vehicles (such as HGVs) and buses from 7 August 2012. Motorcycles do not currently require DRL to be fitted, but most manufacturers voluntarily opt for an AHO (Automatic Headlight On) system to be installed as an alternative. Changes to European legislation will, in future permit manufacturers to fit DRL on their motorcycles

Glad you have seen the light Mike :lol: But I thought you were very used to being kept in the dark :roll:
I recently fitted an LED headlight bulb only has 7W drain but very bright compared to 35W OE bulb, very much to be seen not necessarily to see with as I do not ride in the dark. Have to agree when leading it's much easier to know other are still behind if they ride with lights on.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next