TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: New member says Hi
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:31 pm 
80 cc

Hi everyone.

My name is Richard I'm 55 and a new member from Ipswich in Suffolk.

My biking history is all road bikes, most significantly being my beloved GPz900R now sadly gone.
I now ride a Honda CL400 which some of you may know is an import bike with the same engine as the XR400. The cL has semi-knobblies, a high swept exhaust, and a dry sump so it has some soft surface capability. Of course it is twin shock so suspension travel is limited. Basically I bough the bike for the way it looks, the simplicity of it and ease of maintenance. Now that I have it I find myself wanting to get off the tarmac a lot more, so I might trade it in for a XR400 maybe next year.
In the meantime ( Because I have no patience) my plan is to explore some BOATS in Suffolk this weekend. I know the area fairly well from having explored on foot and believe the routes to be sandy tracks rather than muddy or rocky disaster traps - for a newbie on his own. I am talking about the area just south of Woodbridge aerodrome.

If anyone has any hints or advice on any of the above I'm all ears!

Post subject: Re: New member says Hi
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:54 pm 

Hello and welcome from East Sussex

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:07 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings Richard,

Welcome from the Manchester Group.

If I might I know that it is frustrating to but I would advise waiting until you have spoken with your local TRF folks as they will know the safe and legal routes to ride.

Have fun.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:37 am 
80 cc

Welcome from Norfolk :-)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:03 pm 
80 cc

Hugh - Yes you're absolutely right - I'll hang on.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:34 pm 
300 cc

Hello From Cambridgeshire.

Sorry not very knowledgeable about the eastern reaches of Suffolk, and Suffolk seem to be one of the few LA that have yet to put an online copy of the definitive map for their council tax payers :(

But here are a couple of resources to help you along:

The guys who runs this site requests data from the Local Authority, some of it is a bit old now so could be out of date. But atl elast you can identify BOAT (blues lines) to check out in more detail.
http://www.rowmaps.com/showmap.php?place=Ipswich&map=OS&lat=52.0571&lon=1.15285&lonew=E

Here you can find P/T-TRO Permanent/temporary traffic regulation orders i.e. rights of ways which are now restricted, you can use this to eliminate lanes that are closed to motors (m/c may be excluded)
http://publicrightsofway.onesuffolk.net/home/traffic-regulation-orders/permanent-tro-map-plots/

As per other advice joining up and getting in touch with others in Suffolk is the fastest way to avoid a lot of painstaking research. You are always welcome to come over to Cambridgeshire to we a quite a big group and have a great network of lanes we use including around thetford.

Regards
Adrian

AK - CAMBS TRF
CCM404E

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:41 pm 
80 cc

Blimey! My name is Richard and I'm 55!

Welcome to all Richards and 55 year olds!

Rich P

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:54 pm 
50 cc

double blimey i,m richard and 55 as well

perhaps we should have a private run out :lol:

2 stroke or 4 stroke thats the question

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:13 pm 
80 cc

Thanks to all.
Much encouraged, I have now been in touch with local TRF, bought a more suitable bike, some tyre levers and some 'enduro' knobbly pants (!).
I will soon be seen bobbling nervously along the local lanes as part of a group. Will explore the Woodbridge area later.
:D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:05 pm 
50 cc

Hi Richard,

I'm from your neck of the woods and have just got an XR400. How are you getting on with the (lack of!) green lanes around here?

As a newbie, I'd welcome some tips and advice... have you been to the local TRF meetings in Fornham?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next