TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: How often to wash your bike?
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:28 pm 
125cc

Say if you are going out on the trails several times per week, how often should you wash your bike?

Post subject: Re: How often to wash your bike?
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:31 pm 
650 cc Monster

I guess it's not so easy in your situation Flynn but I wash it after each ride (but necessarily as I get home) but I only get to ride every few weeks.
The cleaner you keep it, the easier to see any issues and it keeps it in better nick as well.

If you've got a garage car wash near you that will let muddy bikes in, use that as often as you can if washing it in the street isn't ideal.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:43 pm 
125cc

Ah yes, that is what I have been doing so far. £2 per go although I normally do two since one session isn't long enough so that makes it £4. I am having trouble trying to figure out when to do it as I normally do my trail riding towards the end of the week and through the weekend so I am trying not to wash it only to get it all muddy again.

I do have my own pressure washer but no where to use it since the driveway got done.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:58 pm 
650 cc Monster

Unless it was really rot, I'm not sure I would bother if I was riding two days on the trot.
You'll make the money up in the summer as it should only get covered in dust so not so critical. Just brush off the brakes and check the moving parts.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:17 pm 
125cc

I wash mine, sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/senthx

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:50 pm 
125cc

Other question, I live near the beach and want to play around on it (when it is quiet of course) but I am afraid of sand and salt water ruining the bike.

How should you wash a motorbike after riding in sandy and salty conditions?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:18 pm 
650 cc Monster

Ridden hard and put away wet... Like my Mrs...

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:52 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

I guess that I must be really sad as mine gets power washed at the local garage after every ride; ridden until most of the bodywork is dry; arriving home the engine is run with the petrol turned off until it stops; left out to dry and cool down and then sprayed with WD40 type aerosol before being put away. A clean bike helps you to spot potential problems.

Over the next day or two the bike is raised up and the chain oiled and checked; all levels checked; brake pads checked; lights and horn checked; swing arm greased and axle seals sprayed with WD40 and tyre pressures checked. Every three months or so depending upon use or not it gets a full service and all oils are changed.

It must seem obsessive but I would rather spend the time at home checking to have the confidence that the bike should not fail out on a run. I am lucky in that I am retired and that I have a garage to work in. You are not so lucky I know but £2 extra on a run out is not really expensive when you weigh it against the cost of a ruined day out.

If used in sandy and salty conditions it is essential to wash; dry and spray after each use. Wheel bearings; callipers and air filter will need looking at more often too.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:16 pm 
125cc

i wash mine sometimes if i can be bothered but the way forward is every time plus a little TLC puts you on the right track

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:34 pm 
125cc

I don't have a garage, or even a drive, my bikes live in the street, and when I try and work on them, the world and his wife keep stopping to offer "advice".

http://www.youtube.com/senthx

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next